Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to survive a chaotic fort.  (Read 2103 times)

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to survive a chaotic fort.
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:11:17 pm »

For those that want to see the circus tents/want an adventurer dungeon to explore (like nethack!)

1. Food and Water

If your fortress is overrun with zombies/Clowns then you need to have food and water. When it's zombies it fuels the flames when one dies. Without booze your dwarfs will slow down. Keep these in mind and embark on a warm climate.

2. Preparation

My recommendation is to have many war dogs and breed them to make more dogs and train them to be war dogs. They are reliable as meatshields and can be useful for when Titans show up.

3.Tantrum Spirals.
This disaster can be murderous. Have many things that cause good thoughts. You should also prevent as many deaths as possible (Yes, this includes the ever-so-useless Nobles and Children.)
4. Have meeting places somewhere safe.
This prevents civilian deaths and can cause less danger from sieges, my recommendation is up where the sieging enemies can't get to your dwarves and distracts them as the military gets to them.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:19:00 am by Drewigi »
Strike the earth!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How to survive a chaotic fort.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:05 pm »

I'm not... entirely sure what you're saying.

Also, your personal text (right under your avatar image) is so long that it interferes with normal forum text.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:49:15 pm »

Also, your personal text (right under your avatar image) is so long that it interferes with normal forum text.
indeed.. but i've never seen that before, I thought it wraps automatically? drewigi does it look like that for you?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:42 pm »

indeed.. but i've never seen that before, I thought it wraps automatically? drewigi does it look like that for you?
He has it all as one word so that it can't wrap (needs an arbitrary space snuck in there somewhere)

As for the OP, I do not grammatically understand what this thread is about.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:23:16 am »

This OP is an attempt to give advice to beginners on how to survive the earlygame. Note the word 'attempt'.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 09:07:59 am »

This OP is an attempt to give advice to beginners on how to survive the earlygame. Note the word 'attempt'.

Usually my writing is a bit better, I guess when writing a forum guide my writing sucks.
I will try to improve.
Strike the earth!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:54:52 pm »

1. Food and Water

If your fortress is overrun with zombies/Clowns then you need to have food and water. When it's zombies it fuels the flames when one dies. Without booze your dwarfs will slow down. Keep these in mind and embark on a warm climate.

"Clowns" is community slang for demons from hell.  ("HFS" = Hidden Fun Stuff = demons, basically.)

If your fortress is "overrun with demons from hell", then your food supply is probably the least of your problems.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:10:48 am »

Usually my writing is a bit better, I guess when writing a forum guide my writing sucks.
I will try to improve.
Apologies for the curt evaluation. I've been through too many bad guides (in RL and on the internet) that my patience for them has whittled thin. If you want help improving, don't hesitate to ask.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.