Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Alright, let's face it.  (Read 9438 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alright, let's face it.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »

And yes, you can be knocked out by every punch in your head, like in real life. You must be carefull.

Bogeyman are tiny, like about as big as ravens and squirrels. You can hand wave it away and say "oh their magical so yeah" but that's pretty lame, for me at least. How did they manage to punch you in the head in the first place?

This is a bigger problem that stems from DF's combat system. I already mentioned the pulping problems, but there is also that "Rabbit of Caerbannog" phenomena where a small creature can hurt a massive creature's head by magic, while realistically they should only be capable of hurting their feet or shins.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:11:57 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Logeres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 05:35:54 pm »

Bogeyman are tiny, like about as big as ravens and squirrels. You can hand wave it away and say "oh their magical so yeah" but that's pretty lame, for me at least. How did they manage to punch you in the head in the first place?

Because they're magical?

Jokes aside, I just assume they can fly, or at least levitate over the ground.

This is a bigger problem that stems from DF's combat system. I already mentioned the pulping problems, but there is also that "Rabbit of Caerbannog" phenomena where a small creature can hurt a massive creature's head by magic, while realistically they should only be capable of hurting their feet or shins.

Yeah, but Toady is going to fix that eventually. Plus, let's be honest, it benefits the player more than it hurts them. Else, fights against Megabeasts like Hydras or Bronze Titans would be impossible, since you could only hack away at their toes.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 05:45:14 pm »

If you have armour, try charging bogeymen if you're a human. You're bigger than them so charging will give you an edge.
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »

If you have armour, try charging bogeymen if you're a human. You're bigger than them so charging will give you an edge.
given the obscene difficulty of finding equipment sized for one's character
*cough*

I dislike playing as humans in RPGs. If I wanted to RP a human, I would go outside.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:10 pm »

Only the horns are bullshit, as they tend to break bones through armor, like arrows. However, you should have no reason to need to travel at night as an early adventurer without companions anyway. And I will point out that you can now actively choose to dodge, and choose the direction you move in.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 01:56:58 am »

I avoid boogeymen by sleeping in beaches or mountains.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:02 am »

Also some bogeymen can fly.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 08:18:45 am »

Bogeymen used to be pushovers. I'm sure people will figure out how to deal with them again soon enough.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44:35 am »

Given that they can be disabled in worldgen, I don't really see the sense in complaining about it. You don't have to deal with them if you don't want to.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 11:42:33 am »

These topic on bogeymen always go the same way:

1. Someone says bogeymen are strong, uninteresting, and restrict gameplay.

2. 1/2 of the replies become "ur dumb, do this to kill/avoid them.

Almost EVERYONE knows those tricks by now guys, this isn't a problem about being uneducated on how to deal with bogeymen, it's a problem with the bogeymen themselves.

We all know how to deal with them, but the point is they still are lame...Once again, they are just loreless super strength non-historical placeholders that deter players from exploring nighttimes and traveling alone. Playing with bogeymen ON is simply a subtractive effect on gameplay.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 12:40:23 pm »

Given that they can be disabled in worldgen, I don't really see the sense in complaining about it. You don't have to deal with them if you don't want to.

The defaults matter.  I know I don't have to deal with it, but when a newcomer encounters this feature, all they'll know is that it sucks.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:41:57 pm by Footkerchief »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 12:47:46 pm »

Bogeymen are awful.

They are there just to annoy the player. They don't have an effect in non player characters. Never saw an entry in legends mode of a person killed by a bogeyman, and they travel alone a lot, even at night.

I want that travel at night to be dangerous, but to creatures that make sense. Like night trolls patrolling around their lairs (they are doing this, but at any time of the day)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 12:56:10 pm »

I like bogeymen as a kind of weird nightmare thing. They're a feature of the world, and to me they create an interesting experience.

That aside, can we avoid thread titles which are simultaneously presumptuous and uninformative. How about "A rant about bogeymen" or "Bogeymen: I don't like them." These titles let us what the thread is about and do not presume that your opinion is a statement about how all players experience a phenomenon.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 01:09:57 pm »

I want that travel at night to be dangerous, but to creatures that make sense. Like night trolls patrolling around their lairs (they are doing this, but at any time of the day)

Exactly! I'd like to feel like being scared of night is a product of historic world gen and features, not coded instantaneous bogey spam.

Samarkand; do you play skyrim? I like the idea of nightmares haunting you, but remember the quest where you go into a nightmare realm because evil god is cursing town? It could be like that you know, more reason behind dreams tearing you apart (because really dreams or nightmares should not tear your real arm off).

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 01:15:00 pm »

Bogeymen are awful.

They are there just to annoy the player. They don't have an effect in non player characters. Never saw an entry in legends mode of a person killed by a bogeyman, and they travel alone a lot, even at night.

I love them. They are one of my prefered choices for training my high level adventurers in swordsman skills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5