Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Alright, let's face it.  (Read 9448 times)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
Re: Alright, let's face it.
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »

I agree they they are bovine excrement. I want to sneak around at night, and there's no mention of them in fortress mode. You'd think you'd be losing dwarfs left-and-right if they actually existed!

I shall remember the trick about changing the advanced world gen parameter... because moonlit stabby-stabby sounds all sorts of fun when I and the one stabby-stabbing.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 04:06:42 pm »

I agree they they are bovine excrement. I want to sneak around at night, and there's no mention of them in fortress mode. You'd think you'd be losing dwarfs left-and-right if they actually existed!

I shall remember the trick about changing the advanced world gen parameter... because moonlit stabby-stabby sounds all sorts of fun when I and the one stabby-stabbing.

fun fact about bogeymen that were recently discovered if you slap the [nofear] token on any race the bogeymen will not be hostile to them. In fact you won't be able to bump attack them if you have nofear on.
This leads to walking out at night and spawning bogeymen that swop in and murder everyone else. though this still prevents you from fast traveling or sleeping so just make sure to find a cave or know a town to slowly walk over to.
 and some cases they will run away from you in fear.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

King Kravoka

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »

A better way to pull off the bogeymen than a zerg rush of imps is to give a more stalker type approach, when one out in the open at night, instead of straight up attacking you they would sneak after you, occasionally the game would give off hints like "You think you hear something bickering." or a pair of glowing red eyes that would shortly dissapear. Eventually they would try to backstab you. One way to avoid them would be to carry a lantern or other light source, which would repel them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 05:11:36 pm »

The main problem of bogeymen is that they have ridiculous natural combat skills, meaning they simply can't be touched by all but the most skilled adventurers (or using weird tactics). Shooting/throwing (with some skill) seems to hit more often than other attacks, though you'll run out of ammo quickly.

Actually, haven't faced them in the new release (I've turned them off), so dunno how much agent smith they are any more.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 07:06:20 pm »

well they drop down from the original 10 level skill to a 9, also jumping at them will launch them away so charge attacks still kinda work just that their 1000 size buggers who are buff as hell.

other than that what mostly changed with bogeymen are the nofear adventurers won't get bum rush attack...(but they do spawn in) also the new sites other than hamlets kinda don't have like place that count as being inside so some races do get jump by bogeymen on a daily basis.
like elves are pretty much either all companions with each other or really should have no fear on them since trees don't act as being inside thus bogeymen can and will just beat the snot out of them.

so for every adventurer you lose about 10,000 elves are getting their shit kick in by bogeymen.

A better way to pull off the bogeymen than a zerg rush of imps is to give a more stalker type approach, when one out in the open at night, instead of straight up attacking you they would sneak after you, occasionally the game would give off hints like "You think you hear something bickering." or a pair of glowing red eyes that would shortly dissapear. Eventually they would try to backstab you. One way to avoid them would be to carry a lantern or other light source, which would repel them.
wait red eyes sorry you are thinking of goblins. also light source would just tax down the game already... having played with rendermax.
aren't there already a stalking night creature... the Night Trolls who sneak in and steal folks.
then you end up with the scenario where your character forgets their light source or lantern and get swarmed or their lightsource is snuff out by rain or some incident you will be stuck back in square 1 and up to your gills in bogeymen like those who lose their companions. Like it's not a solution that would make those who already hate bogeymen like them, don't think they would like them if they gone nofear route and just goof off and watch bogeymen punch emus all night or go into massive dfhack research into what makes bogeymen tick.
"body swapping and YOU!"

King Kravoka

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:49 pm »

wait red eyes sorry you are thinking of goblins. also light source would just tax down the game already... having played with rendermax.
aren't there already a stalking night creature... the Night Trolls who sneak in and steal folks.
then you end up with the scenario where your character forgets their light source or lantern and get swarmed or their lightsource is snuff out by rain or some incident you will be stuck back in square 1 and up to your gills in bogeymen like those who lose their companions. Like it's not a solution that would make those who already hate bogeymen like them, don't think they would like them if they gone nofear route and just goof off and watch bogeymen punch emus all night or go into massive dfhack research into what makes bogeymen tick.

And even if you don't have a portable light source a campfire will do just as good. At your first question, I used glowing red eyes as an example because of the human fear of glowing eyes which came from large predators having reflective eyes, I point this out because, at least in my view, bogeymen are not why you fear the night, rather it's the other way around. As in they are the manifestations of the human fear of the night.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 08:55:18 pm »

And even if you don't have a portable light source a campfire will do just as good. At your first question, I used glowing red eyes as an example because of the human fear of glowing eyes which came from large predators having reflective eyes, I point this out because, at least in my view, bogeymen are not why you fear the night, rather it's the other way around. As in they are the manifestations of the human fear of the night.
oh manifestations theory of bogeymen hmm kinda makes all that research I did contradictory though it doesn't disprove the idea of what's the cackling is or what cause it to happen which could be from fears.
so their compressed balls of fear that grows arms and legs that punch you, who can open doors and walk inside, work totally fine if you have a civ of them, and only go poof if their (since they die like any other creature)corpses hang out for too long, or you end the cackling which causes them and anything like them to poof also the cackling exist to make and kill bogeymen with out it no bogeymen can spawn in but no bogeyman can die from lack of it, also these balls of fear have souls, emotions, and dreams.

also necromancer who are brave and strong enough could kill enough of them and reanimate their fear made bodies as zombies if he does it in the seconds the cackling is over though doing so robs the necromancer the chance to do this again since the necromancer now has companions but if another adventurer walks in the area of the necromancer and starts the cackling all those zombie bogeymen are doomed to die... unless the necromancer can kill the new adventurer before the cackling ends.
oh yeah bogeymen can exist outside of the cackling if the adventurer dies and ends the game... since doing so doesn't really causes the game to unload the bogeymen.
though doing this kinda sticks them into limbo and their hard to track down where they pop up also kinda means there is a 1 foot tall ball of fear punching peasants indoors up until he dies from injuries.

though the stalking mechanic was already in it could be possible to mod in a race of hostile creatures that aggro and roam around the map and run up to you.
"body swapping and YOU!"

King Kravoka

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 09:21:01 pm »

What theory are you using?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2014, 01:34:15 am »

What theory are you using?
uhh at first I thought the cackling was summoning in Demons from another DF universe but their world hell is on the same plane as ours,  given that these creatures are deep dark with charcoal characteristics and have the same 'intelligence' a common demon would have.
then I figure what ever they are the cackling isn't really needed for their survival and well can be civil if you make them apart of a civ. Like their actions are pretty much on par of a peasant with no civ to call their own.
all these pokes in lead to the idea that bogeymen are also men well mortal.
this was back in 31. where pretty much everyone attack you for any reason and being an enemy of a civ was a death sentence.
it didn't help that I found a fluffy feathered bogeyman who was too cute to be scary and I gone on so many adventures with the lil bugger trying to learn so much about their nature.

currently my theory is their not imaginary, their real, and some times a pain in your rump.(might have been born from Fear for the Fear God Scares for the Scare throne) and it's possible for one to escape from the cackling in vanilla
just that it's going to be hard to make them pop out in legend mode once you do and the only way to do so is to die not succumb to the night either. now I haven't done that much research on the vanilla subject but the other option is necromancy and currently it's hellishly hard to get a preserved corpse from creatures with out it being unfit so both answers are death.

edit: wait a minute I got a stupid and grand idea since the token Nightcreaturebogeyman isn't super buggy someone could make a interaction that turns the player into race with that token or use cr mumbo jumbo and add that token in. have the interaction be added to a special bogeyman maybe the werebogie and now you're stuck dealing with hordes of bogeymen and a werebogieman who could infect you with the bogeyman curse and if the player tries to end the cackling the player dies.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:33:33 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 01:24:38 am »

@Rumrusher- Now my head hurts, AND I still dislike bogeymen.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 02:41:16 pm »

I just turn them off in world gen. They just feel very cheap so I take them out. Which I love the fact that you can do, because I know there are many people who don't mind them. 

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2014, 05:15:58 pm »

Okay, just wait a while...

...runs of for a hipster costume together with false beard, thick glasses ...

Hmmm... let's see. I think that bogeymen are a personification of existential uncertainty in the emergent Dwarf Fortress narrative apparatus. Their makeshift "to-be-finished-later" cheesiness is actually a masterful touch, contrasting to otherwise coherent and consistent laws of DF gameplay mechanics. They are intentionally crude, to make you ask question, to ponder about the never-ending Ouroboros-shaped cycle of intention and consequence, the meaning, and the function, the expression, and the impression, or if you like, the yin and the yang. By facing his inner-most fears in the depths of the night, the player experiences not catharsis, nor enlightenment, nor any form of insight, but a brutal and naturalistic death instead. Yet there is much symbolism in a dwarven or human skull, caving in after a random punch. The crushed brain is an especially powerful symbol, referring to sensory overload, the failure of human mind to nervously catalogize the onslought of external stimuli the life itself. On the outside, the skull shatters and the brain pours through the newly created holes like a thick, grey goo. On the inside, the human ego disintegrates, unable to maintain the constant self-deception we inflict upon ourselves - the ever present illusion of the individual ego.

Only the id remains, like a gaping hole to an alternate dimension, with an endless stream of pure horror pouring out of it.

Thus, in a nutshell, a bogeyman is a representation of the ultimate futility of human (or dwarven) struggle for self-definition. It's what remains, when you remove everything else - preferably with a very sharp blade.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:20:11 pm by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2014, 07:00:31 am »

... removes 'I love bogeymen Tee shirt' to reveal a 'I really love to harness dark evil minions to take over the world' tee shirt ...

Are bogeymen Armok's second solution to Elves? Just think about it elves are the only sentient race in DF that lives outside, the humans goblins and dwarves have at least built shelter or live indoors to avoid any trace of bogeyman attacks, also kobolds live indoors. It just so happens Bogeymen kinda kill off hobos... which most adventurers usually end up as.

Now if we could figure out(more) ways to control bogeymen.

oh wait just check the raws it seems becoming a murk zombie gives you the access to nofear tag that allows you a free pass against bogeymen.
"body swapping and YOU!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2014, 06:41:44 am »

Bogeymen are pushovers if you're an agile, duel wielding swordsman. I normally fast slash both their legs, step back, do this to another one, and just keep this up until I have tons of hacked up Bogeymen. Then, proceed to either decapitate them, or slowly carve them up. Now, set yourself up to hide behind a shield, and, well, you're dead. My superior strength dwarf had his shield wrestled from his grasp in one try, then my head was punched clean off. Two swords? Slash slash. They never get a chance to hit you.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

fomori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:28 am »

I don't know if things have changed, but last version there were a few tags which gave them their night-stalking behaviour. So you could set bogeymen to zero on Advanced World Generation whilst modding in custom monsters who were more to your liking.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5