Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I see what civilizations are near by?  (Read 1049 times)

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
How do I see what civilizations are near by?
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:12:56 am »

I normally forget to check when I'm on the embark screen so I was wondering if I could check before interacting with any of them.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I see what civilizations are near by?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:08:51 am »

Once you have embarked, there is no way from within the game to check other than the 'c' key, which shows only those civs you have interacted with.  Starting off, it will only be your parent mountainhome, then the elves, humans, etc. as they show up.  You won't know you are in range for goblins and other fun until it shows up.

On the downside, even the pre-embark screen seems to be inaccurate in what it shows as neighbors; there is currently a bug reported on Mantis that goblins are only venturing 2 tiles from their cities to attack forts.  I can't verify that bug, but I can say I have seen a LOT less greenie activity since .40.X dropped.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How do I see what civilizations are near by?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:32:21 am »

Yes, i think it's very likely the 7739 bug, i always embarked with goblin civs near in the world location embark screen , the dark fortresses are always overpopulated (in comparison to other civs) with several thousand of goblins and trolls, yet i only got a siege of a miserable 8 goblins "army" back in 0.40.01 and since then not a single one in any of my other forts.