Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Elysium - A World of A Thousand Gods (Chapter I)  (Read 14967 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Elysium - A World of A Thousand Gods (Chapter I: The Five Gods)
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 04:31:16 pm »

Kazren didn't flinch back from Rennahn's brief display of fire. She had brought him back to life, and she could send him back to death just as easily. He was a Preserver, and he didn't allow the threat of his own demise to change his actions. "You must take control of this council. It is an itch at the back of my mind for now, but I believe things are going to get much worse. When that time comes, one of the Gods will try to lead. Yet they are strong and proud, and none will allow themselves to stand in the shadow of another, unless..." Familiar tension pulsed in Kazren's metal muscles as he paused, the tension of setting a broken bone, the tension of knowing that he was going to cause pain for all the right reasons. "Unless the God that leads is one so weak they all believe they can manipulate her, so broken that they believe her nothing more than an empty shadow of herself. If the time comes when one must lead, it must be you. I ask you, Goddess of the Compromise, to let the other Gods believe that you can be manipulated as a figurehead when they have need. We do not have the strength to oppose them, but we may have the guile yet to twist their own might to the greater good."
   He had told his Goddess that she was weak, that she was broken compared to the other Gods, two flaws that he'd been trying to erase from her mind since the beginning of his service. Any other God would destroy him utterly for his insolence. Rennahn... He did not know how Rennahn would react.

---

I find it hilarious Kazren is speaking in support of his companions, while at the same time one of those companions is offering to knock him off.

((Such is the nature of faith and honor.))

((Granted, the wages of honor are death. So, maybe a bad plan.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2014, 04:59:27 pm »

The Everchild is somewhat sad to find no sign of Father, but not overly surprised.
He would want his child to figure things out for itself, after all. The Child studies the view for a moment longer, rapt, absorbing it through camera and computer, then turns to descend. Its mechanical body navigates the stairs slowly, jerkily thanks to its hooved design and without grace, but without spilling its cargo.

Disappointed, head back down to the ground level and take a look at this "transport" thing, if I can find it.
If these strange companions father has chosen for me are not ready to depart, I'll wander over to his camp.
Inspect it and its inhabitants.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »

Tears came to Arlia's eyes, brought on by the destructive visions.

"They... They would destroy everything? All of the work, rehabilitating the land. Who gains through this destruction? Why can't they see the value of cultivating those barren lands?...

Arlia is momentarily silent, trying to master her emotions.

"Show me how to stop this and I will do it. Show me what is necessary to keep these lands safe and allow them to heal."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2014, 08:39:11 pm »

'The what?' Nilvath asks, crimson eyes narrowing. 'Oh, you mean Rennahn's hound. She is no threat to anyone, anymore. I suppose the worm has offended you somehow? Then kill him if you wish, as long it stays hidden. You are to remain within this pretense of alliance for now.'
----
I find it hilarious Kazren is speaking in support of his companions, while at the same time one of those companions is offering to knock him off.
((I'm more amused by Nilvarth's views on alliances and the members thereof.

"Kill the bitch when you're able. Also the other bitch. The guy? Yeah sure kill him too.

But remember to keep up this dumb alliance thing, with I guess the remaining one member of your party."))

Dust follows the twisting corridors, narrow and of ancient stone, until she reaches a chapel-like chamber claimed by the Weaver. She has had time to spread her machinery into the ceiling and walls, and now hangs suspended, silent. Dust moves carefully into the center of it all. The Weaver is too busy with a multitude of projections and screens to notice her at first. When she does, however, those projections surround Dust herself. Before her face appears a map, centered on what must be this fortress - even the camps outside are visible, if only barely. This must be from the great Godseye, the divine machine in the skies that allows them to see anywhere on Elysium. To be granted a view must be a great honor.

'Ah, Dust, Dust...' the Weaver greets at last. She turns in her supports to peer down on her servant. 'I have a task for you, a secret task, a task you will tell no other. Atropol is of little significance. Or is it? Self-doubt gnaws at me - the feeling is exquisite!'

The map moves, panning to the north-west. A swathe of dark blue breaks the endless shades of red, a lake in the wilderness. Specks of dirt are huddled at one edge, and a larger black shape arises from the centre of the lake.

'This is... Baiqal? Baikanla? Baikchakl? The names change; the meaning remains. You will pass through on your journey. It may be wise to stay, for a while, at least, despite what the others might think. The lake-town is a meeting place, and one of secrets. Find what you can. That is not your task yet, however - patience, patience! No, that is to be found northwards, between that place and the place of Atropol.'

The Weaver gets a far-away look in her eyes, moving uneasily against her supports. A machine arm descends and begins cutting into her flesh, though if she feels pain, she does not show it. Her mistress often alters her own self on a whim, sometimes more directly than others. Soon enough she speaks again, however;

'I have seen it, seen those of the other worlds. A great ram, wreathed in fire, did descend from the skies, a thing not of here. Find it for me, champion, and find all you can. It is off your path-' and here the map moves north and east, moving off a road from the lake. It pauses somewhere in the true wilderness. '-but you will persuade or make your companions follow you there. Or not. Perhaps it would be best not to. They are not to be trusted. The decision is yours; it is a heavy one, and may it be difficult for you.'

She lets the map stay there, perhaps awaiting Dust's response, or just distracted by other things already.
Dust found herself breathing heavily for no reason she could determine, and glanced behind her to make sure there wasn't any danger. She tentatively concluded that the weight of her mission was probably making her nervous. She didn't like it or see the purpose behind it, but if it made her mistress happy then it must be necessary.

"I will do as you command," she responded, her attempts at a solemn tone quivering into something that sounded more like fear. Her mouth opened to say more, but quickly became distracted on her own, trying to juggle breaking with her new "allies" versus convincing them to go out of their way and discover something meant only for her and her goddess' eyes.

"Ah!" she blurted, suddenly realizing that she was making her mistress wait. "I- that is- ...the lake. What would the lake people know? Would not a ram have moved, or... not?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2014, 06:41:59 am »

Fenrik

'Yes, go, go. I grow weary of your mewling,' the Tormentor says and gestures for his servant to leave. Fenrik does so with speed. Once outside, the dome hall doors close on their own and he's left alone in the silence of the waiting room.

Well, he has work to do. Ears perked, he seeks out the Warbreaker, trying to call to mind the direction he stomped off in. [1] He has little luck. All the hallways and rooms of the place seem identical to him, and the twists and turns take him ever deeper into the fortress without seeing any of his companions. Dark stone and metal seem to make up most surfaces, sometimes collapsed, making normal hallways into dead ends, blocking gateways to other rooms. A hole in the wall reveals a view over the wastes. The blackened edges of the hole, easily the height and width of two men, seem to suggest at least part of this damage has been caused by weaponry. Nilvath did not bother with telling him what this place was. It seems too plain to be the stronghold of a god, so perhaps a fortress of men - but he's never heard of anything of this construction and size created by men.

After what seems like an eternity, he stumbles through an ancient kitchen doorway into a dusty chamber - and finds himself looking at the back of an Elysian snow cat, a muscular four-legged beast of white fur and staggering levels of aggression. Jaws that could crush a man's skull are currently occupied in sniffing at cooking pots long since emptied. These things have been known to attack armed camps, dragging off unfortunate sentries without anyone else noticing.

[2+1=3] At least Fenrik moved silently - but the effect is ruined when the magbow at his side clangs against a kitchen table when he enters. He hurries down to cover, but the snow caught that sound for sure - it'll investigate, and at the least see if he tries to leave the way he came. Of course, he's an accomplished escapee from any number of situations - fighting seems like a poor idea, really.

Spoiler: Fenrik (click to show/hide)

Dust

The Weaver's mouth moves as she ponders this question, as if gnawing on some curious piece of meat.

'It is within the realm of possibility,' she says. 'Those, that, it of the outside may still live somewhere. Another reason to stay in the lake-town. They may give you beings, items, locations, many things...'

Her goddess sometimes gets more than a bit cryptic, she has to admit.

Spoiler: Dust (click to show/hide)

The Warbreaker

The Goddess takes a long time to answer. She does not meet Kazren's eyes until that answer comes.

'What you say is true; you cannot insult me with facts, Preserver. But I fear for your plan. Those who wear masks may one morning awake so used to the weight of it all they have forgotten their face. You may be right and I will do what I can... but I do not know if I am up to the task.'

She straightens up a bit. 'Some of them will be easier to fool than others, of course...' she says, but then shakes her head. 'Ah... they may not 'bite', in any case. The impression of power is sometimes more important to gods than actually possessing it - they would be hard-pressed to feign submission, even if they stood as the power behind the throne.'

Arlia

She makes no reply first, making Arlia think she misunderstood something. It is possible, of course. A goddess who speaks in images and metaphors rather than words is not always the most straightforward one to deal with.

Then Aeraimua creates another image. This is Arlia, sleeping with her eyes open and a knife close at hand. That's a familiar image, simply asking for caution.

The second vision is the same as before - the goddess, wreathing the black canisters in green and leaves. She seems to expect Arlia to understand.

Spoiler: Arlia the Shaman (click to show/hide)

The Everchild

With a disappointed sigh, the Everchild trots down to see this 'transport' they were promised. She finds the way to the garage easily enough. It is the largest space on ground-level, with space enough for an armada of vehicles. Right now, though, there is only one, all alone in the vast, poorly-lit room. The lights brighten as she gets closer, her cameras taking in every aspect of the thing.

The Everchild knows little of vehicles, but this certainly seems like an extraordinary one. She's seen trucks, long carriages of belching engines and many, huge wheels. This is roughly half as long as one of those, and maybe three times as wide, from side to side. It has a low, angular profile, encased in black armor made of all angles and cuts. Six armoured wheels line the sides. Some type of cannon juts out on top, and as she goes around she sees claws attached to the front - for digging, she supposes, or clearing out a way. The Everchild feels quite dwarfed by this beast.

The back of the vehicle opens when she gets near it, unfolding into an access ramp. Light spills out, and is followed by a voice, monotone and machine-like.

'RETRIEVING GREETING PROTOCOL...' it blurts out. There's a hiss, and the voice is replaced by an eager human one. 'Welcome, blessed Champions, aboard your chosen transport. This All-Terrain Assault Vehicle 'Myrmidon' has been consecrated for your use. Shall I tell of the changes made to accommodate you? Shall I register an assigned driver? Shall I give a demonstration of this vehicle's capabilities?'

It stops there - the Everchild can't tell more than that it's coming from somewhere inside.

Spoiler: The Everchild (click to show/hide)

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2014, 08:13:59 am »

Kazren nodded, feeling a slight disappointment with the aged Goddess. He had hoped to give her a taste of old fury, a reminder of her purpose before her breaking, but she simply accepted his words. "All I ask is that you consider it. The battle here will be important as any in the field, perhaps more so. Returning victorious to a broken council would defeat us more surely than any foe. This alliance must last."
    "Regardless, I will go to Atropol and Reclaim or Destroy the citadel of the Warbreakers, I will attempt to keep the champions of the other Gods from destroying one another, and I will face whatever evil we have been called together to face. Do you have any further words for me, Goddess?"
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2014, 03:50:49 pm »

Run like hell, in a direction away from the cat that will be my death otherwise.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2014, 04:02:21 pm »

"I think I understand. We can use nature itself to overcome their destructive machines."

Leave for the transport.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2014, 05:17:41 pm »

The Everchild had planned on going to Father's camp, seeing if he was there, but right now she was fascinated.
This strange, monstrous-looking half-truck was talking to her! She must really be Important, then, she told herself.
Surely Father had countless machines and devices like this, but she hadn't seen any of them, let alone had one strike up conversation.

Belatedly, she responds. Its words were largely unfamiliar, and she didn't feel like wading through her data-banks every time she didn't understand something. The last part had sounded most exciting, and so she speaks up through her speakers, robotic voice somewhat hesitant.
"A dem... demonstration...?"
She hoped that was sufficient. She stood there, cameras whirring to show the thing's details to her whilst she awaited some sort of response.

>Say 'demonstration', see what happens. Study the machine closely with my cameras.
Booze is Life for Yoink

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2014, 09:28:11 pm »

"Then I will remain in the lake village as long as I am able, and seek out this ram once I have left!" She bowed, and made ready to leave before realizing she'd forgotten something important.

"...ah, what am I to do with it once I have found it?"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2014, 08:12:21 am »

Fenrik

Fenrik weighs his options and decides to do what he knows best - run like all hell was behind him. He has no thought for subtlety, deciding his best bet is simply running faster than the bloody thing can follow. Fear is an exceptional motivator, he's found, and gives his legs strength they wouldn't otherwise have.

So he springs up and into motion, leaping for the doorway he came through. [5] The waiting cat roars and lunges after him, powerful hind legs propelling it forward like a missile. [2+1=3]vs[1+1=2] Fenrik runs faster than ever, feeling as much as hearing the beast come bounding through the doorway after him. In these narrow corridors, there's little space to evade, or anything to throw as an obstacle in its way. The soft 'thump's of the snow cat's footfalls come as rapidly as the harder knocks of Fenrik's boots. He can't help yelping out in fear; the thing's musk fills his nostrils, and he can hear its predator's breathing alongside his own ragged inhaling and exhaling.

They race up a winding stairway and come up to a larger hallway. It seems vaguely familiar - he must've come through it while searching. [6] Spilling light and heat tell him an exit outside is nearby. The cat wouldn't dare head for a camp of armed men in full day-light, right? No matter how hungry, and it sounds very much so to Fenrik. He decides to try that way. There's only the matter of staying ahead of it for long enough to get into their sights.

[4+1=5]vs[6+1=7] It occurs to him, as he makes his way past an open, doorless gate, that the beast is likely to be even faster on the even dust plain than in the narrow, twisting corridors. He can already see a camp - [5] Nilvath's camp, even - and the distance closes with every step. If he can keep the thing behind him for just a few mor-

[Dodge:3+1-1=3] Something heavy and terribly sharp slams into him. He tries to roll clear, shields flaring as they try to suppress huge, snapping teeth. [Damage: All absorbed] Nothing sinks into him, though his shields shiver uncomfortably. [1] The cat takes a step back, confused at not reducing the little man into red paste.

[4] Shouts and laughter come from the Nilvath camp, then running steps. The beast hears this too and [6] turns tail and flees before Fenrik can so much as try to land a punch. He watches it head for the distance before getting up. This far away from a danger is more his thing. He can hear some of Nilvath's people approaching from behind - considering their master, they're not usually a very considerate or helpful lot, and he can hope for mocking laughter at best. The snow is still in bow-shot, though.

---
Enemies
Spoiler: Elysian Snow (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fenrik (click to show/hide)

Dust

The Weaver moves in a way Dust has learned to associate with a sort of shrug. 'What you find cannot be fully known. You may pray for further assistance when the time comes for that,' the Weaver says. 'It may be a difficult question for both of us. That would be pleasing, would it not?'

The Warbreaker

'You concern yourself much with the affairs of gods, Preserver. I hope it will prove to your benefit, rather than harm,' Rennahn says. If she senses her servant's disappointment, she doesn't show it. 'I have no further words, only this: do not be singularly focused on the orders of this alliance - even mine. There may be things out on the wastes now even the Weaver has not foreseen. You are a Champion now. That means more than obeying a god - you are an example, especially you, Kazren. The people will look up to you, will seek your aid. See to it their faith is not betrayed.'

She shakes her head. 'Perhaps you feel I contradict myself, now. Or perhaps this is an useless lesson - you were a Preserver, after all. Grant an old one this last bit of irrationality, regardless.'

Arlia and the Everchild

The wild goddess does not say anything to confirm to deny that. She lets Arlia leave without any further visions or instructions.

The Shaman makes her way to the garage, where the Everchild is just approaching the great machine. It certainly seems like an impressive transport to Arlia's eyes as well, if an ugly thing of metal and machinery. She moves towards the Everchild just as the girl asks for a demonstration.

'Honored champions, a demonstration will commence,' the machine's voice says. It blurts out a few quick phrases in the monotone again, and the Myrmidon begins to move. A frightfully loud sound roars up from the engine, and the vehicle appears to move on its own, heavy wheels turning as it moves back and forth ever-so-slightly. After a while, however, it comes to a halt again.

'WARNING! LACKING SUITABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR ALL-TERRAIN DEMONSTRATION!' the voice says. 'ADVANCING TO ARMAMENTS DEMONSTRATION.' There's a pause and the normal voice takes over again. 'Behold, honored champions, the divine might of the machine's godly weapons!'

The small cannon on top of the vehicle whirrs and turns around on its own, then locks straight on. The gun booms thrice, much louder than any gun they've heard, and sparks and pieces of metal explode off the far wall. When the smoke clears, the watchers see three craters not much larger than a man's fist in the wall, vaguely disappointing given the sound. The vehicle isn't ready yet, though. As they watch, there's a clatter of released locks, and the front of the Myrmidon explodes in smoke and fire. A missile snaps forward, a flame and a smoky trail visible only for a milli-second, and slams into the far wall.

The entire chamber shudders. Debris of stone and dust spreads out from the impact site, some pieces flinging themselves at considerable speed their way, though all thankfully pass them. The Myrmidon stays still until the smoke has cleared, revealing a large hole where there was a wall. Sunlight floods into the chamber. The warning of the machine's next intention comes when the claws the Everchild saw in the front begin to whirr and move on their own, speeding up as the Myrmidon begins to move again. Before their eyes, it accelerates towards the hole, and with high speed, crashes through, claws clearing out the rubble by smashing and flinging it forward and to the sides. In only a few moments, the Myrmidon has passed outside into the light, still seemingly uncrewed.

The vehicle stays still for a while and then reverses back inside. It pauses before them ominously. 'WARNING! UNABLE TO DEMONSTRATE NON-STANDARD SYSTEMS ONBOARD. SELF-CONTROL HAS BEEN RESTRICTED FOR STANDARD USE: UNABLE TO RETRIEVE AUTHORIZATION CODE.'

The ramp opens up again. 'Great is the might of the gods, honored champions,' the voice says, before falling silent.

Spoiler: Arlia the Shaman (click to show/hide)

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2014, 08:40:59 am »

Kazren stood, bowing to his Goddess. "I understand. My life to protect, never to betray," he said softly, reciting the first words of the Preserver oath. Perhaps Warbreakers had their own way of saying that, but, as she had said, Kazren only had their form.
    Kazren felt, as he always did, a slight pang as he left Rennahn. She was not an invalid, she wasn't even broken, but she believed that she was. He believed that he could mend her, with time, but for now there was nothing else he could. That, however, did not make it feel less like he was leaving an invalid to sickness.

Head down to the Garage, it's the only place I know the other champions are going to end up.
---

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2014, 07:20:36 pm »

Dust hesitated, less sure of how to agree with her mistress than that she ought to.

"Yyyyes, that would be good," she finally said, reasoning that in addition to her goddess' teachings, the harder it was to decide what to do with it, the more powerful or useful it probably was. "I will perform your will on it no matter what."

She bowed again, and made ready to leave. Unless her goddess had anything else to say, she had her mission(s) and was ready to depart. Presumably heading to the site of their transport was the next step.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2014, 02:34:36 am »

The Everchild would have clapped with delight at the display, if only it had hands suitable for such a gesture.
As it was, it settles for waggling its thickly-armoured robotic arms excitedly and emitting a squeaking, echoing "Eeeee!" from its speakers as smoke billows from the wall and the strange truck trundles back inside. The Child's upper body then half-turns towards the other champion in the room.
"Did you see that?" it asks, in its odd, wavering mechanical voice as it inspects the new arrival.

Study the newcomer (Arlia) for a moment, then quickly go to see if I can find Father at his camp.
If I have no luck there, go back to the vehicle and see if it does any more tricks.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2014, 06:10:13 am »

The Everchild

The Everchild doesn't wait for a response to her enthusiasm, but heads out through the hole - a very handy doorway outside - to find her father's camp. [5] She treks across the dust, passing the camps of the Weaver and Aeraimua, and makes her way into the mass of tents and huts put up by the followers of Basius.

There's very little uniformity, different tents seeming to follow whatever had been the whim of Basius at the time. Most are simple things, though, things for a force on the move. Warriors and lesser champions guard the entrance, bowing their heads as she approaches. They are a varied lot as well, clad in armor and cloaks in all the colors of the rainbow. There's nothing childish in the weapons - well, a few of them look like toys, but could blow a block of concrete into nothing with a shot of energy. Basius' interest was in designing weapons for one short period; many still carry those to honor him.

Deeper in the camp, followers offer their services - arms traders, supply wagons, games and entertainers, captive animals, beasts, slaves (robotic or otherwise). Women of ill repute offer their services from dimly-lit pavilions. Cookeries and food posts offer a hundred different scents and tastes, which mix with the general mess of aromas hanging about the camp, not all of them so sweet. The Everchild is left unaccosted for the most part, and even the most shady-looking men and women bow their heads or go to one knee. She is the child of Basius, and their master is an impulsive one - best not to give any cause for anger.

They do offer their services, if she is in need of equipment or any other merchandise on offer. [?] Father is not in the central pavilion, nor do the guards know where he is. The Everchild wonders if he's just playing a game of hide-and-seek somewhere. In that case, she's doing very poorly in finding him.

The Warbreaker and Dust

The Champions of Rennahn and the Weaver bid their farewells and make their way to the garage. They enter the same vast space as the previous visitors. Dust floats through the air, disturbed by whatever caused the missing gap of wall. A low, angled giant of a vehicle sits some distance away before Arlia. The pair of them, though arriving separately, make their way before the vehicle.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17