Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Option to stop losing designations near water and magma  (Read 1538 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Option to stop losing designations near water and magma
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:22:52 pm »

I miss the old accidental floods of the 2D version, and I get annoyed when trying to dig near water or magma and my designations keep getting canceled.

So Toady, can we please have an option to turn off safe digging, preferably also available the O menu so we can turn it on or off depending on the situation? I know we can turn off the pausing and centering, but it's the automatic designation removal that I'm after (as well as removing the warning entirely, i.e I don't want anything in the log, but I believe the current options already support that.)

There's already a lot of support for this idea and a tool was even written to do precisely this, but it's outdated. Relevant threads :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70552.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65589.15
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66555.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63045.0

And here's how things currently work and the options currently available, so we all discuss with the same knowledge base:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Digging_designation_canceled

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:02:07 pm by isitanos »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turn off "Digging designation canceled" in-game
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:28:57 pm »

I don't think it's very useful feature, unless you feel particularly suicidal. However, I would like to not have dampness/warmness cancellation to occur if source is visible and is safe. It's annoying to be unable to just dig under your pool, because water is above. Even if was was also sideways, if wouldn't stop me.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:02:51 pm »

Please god yes. It'll be a godsend for people who know what they're doing with using it, and increases the ‼FUN‼ potential for anyone who doesn't.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:27:05 pm »

A good way to do it would be to link it to the skill of the miner whether they notice it or not, be it water, magma or other fun possible future additions such as oil or gas pockets.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:34:29 pm »

A good way to do it would be to link it to the skill of the miner whether they notice it or not, be it water, magma or other fun possible future additions such as oil or gas pockets.

Could probably also be based on a new "Prospecting skill" which would be further based on their observation talent.
At any rate, that's a really great idea.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:47 pm »

Could probably also be based on a new "Prospecting skill" which would be further based on their observation talent.
At any rate, that's a really great idea.
Or just the "Observer" skill.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:29:41 am »

There is currently one work around to the "Digging designation cancelled" that you can use that I know of.

If you're using dfhack, and have the map revealed, then you won't get any digging cancellations. However, there are some side effects.

1. Obviously you have the map revealed.
2. When you unreveal the map, the areas you've dug can't be seen. But you can fix that via the 'revflood' command in dfhack.
3. And finally, after doing the 'revflood' command, if you have any connections to the caverns, all of the cavern will be revealed, not just those areas you've explored. Mind, a connection may be via a magma pipe...

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 08:20:43 pm »

I don't think it's very useful feature, unless you feel particularly suicidal. However, I would like to not have dampness/warmness cancellation to occur if source is visible and is safe. It's annoying to be unable to just dig under your pool, because water is above. Even if was was also sideways, if wouldn't stop me.
This is a really good idea. The "if a source is visible to the player" thing. It solves pointlessly annoying alerts, yet still (realistically) allows surprise floods when you think the tile is damp cause of your pipe, but actually there's a whole new cave pool on the other side also.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:44:08 pm »

I really like the idea of a miners skill affecting whether or not they notice damp or warm stone.

"Urist McSuicide has penetrated an aquifer!"

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 08:50:08 pm »

Bringing this up again since we're in a period of upheaval and bugfixes.

I don't think it's very useful feature, unless you feel particularly dwarven. However, I would like to not have dampness/warmness cancellation to occur if source is visible and is safe. It's annoying to be unable to just dig under your pool, because water is above. Even if was was also sideways, if wouldn't stop me.

Fixed that for you ;) .

I guess not many people know or remember how !!Fun!! the cave river discovery and the subsequent seasonal floods were in the 2D versions. That's the glorious period Boatmurdered came from!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:59:42 pm by isitanos »

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:55:26 pm »

I agree with the thing people have been saying. If you see one source of wetness or heat for a tile then the warning should not play. Even if there are other sources, seeing the source of the warning implies you also see the tile that you are being warned about.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »

I agree with the thing people have been saying. If you see one source of wetness or heat for a tile then the warning should not play. Even if there are other sources, seeing the source of the warning implies you also see the tile that you are being warned about.

That sounds good as a default behavior. This said I would also like the option of no warning whatsoever.