Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fix container hauling  (Read 4553 times)

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fix container hauling
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 07:14:48 pm »

I agree with... everybody.  But I think the bug is even deeper.  I mean, I have a leader "conduct meeting" with a liason.  He goes to the room with the liason, then -- with conduct meeting still set -- buggers off to his bedroom, then back again.  I think it's confused about the from and to somewhere deep in the code.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 02:05:50 pm »

I have a related suggestion, thought it was more appropriate to post here than start a new thread.

Most forts have much higher connectivity horizontally than vertically, meaning there are more corridors than stairs.

I think the cost of items across Z levels should be adjusted. Rock 1 may be 5 tiles away while rock 2 is 10 tiles away. But to get to rock 1 the dwarf has to travel all the way to a stair 20 tiles away, then back.

I suggest the lazy distance formula should be adjusted, instead of max(x, y, z) it should be max(x,y,10*z) perhaps.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 05:03:02 pm »

I suggest the lazy distance formula should be adjusted, instead of max(x, y, z) it should be max(x,y,10*z) perhaps.
But then you get issues with dwarves being stupid with items that are right up the stairs next to them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 04:15:07 am »

Although I am not sure what a suitable fix would entail, the current storage container system is so horribly broken that it definitely needs to be redone. It's causing endless cancellation spam, it slows FPS, it squanders both dwarven labor and CPU labor and it is a source of numerous bugs.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:16:52 am by Melting Sky »

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 12:41:37 pm »

I agree with the basket suggestion.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2014, 01:22:37 am »

But then you get issues with dwarves being stupid with items that are right up the stairs next to them.

It just needs to be an actual path calculation and not an "as the crow flies" straight line check. If the item requires the dwarf to wander through some twisted path to get there, then should take that into account.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2014, 02:43:17 pm »

Although the containers would need a "max storage" limit.  Otherwise you might get a dwarf with a bucket spending an entire season trying to round up items (gaining unhappy thoughts and tying up the items). In the case of food, "time spent outside stockpile" is the major factor in spoilage.  So if a dwarf with a bucket/bag/backpack/basket/whatever spends a lengthy period of time running from one end of hte map to another to pick up the next food item (or just has a crap ton to collect), the food may begin to spoil before he returns to your stockpile.  Stockpiles could also potentially fill up before he returns.  Say there are only 2 spots left in the stockpile, but he returns with 5 different items... then what happens?

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 04:26:13 pm »

This issue is probably the most annoying thing in DF right now. Was trying to smelt candy last night and kept getting job cancellations because some Urist McWasteofSpace had the bin with the candy strands in it.

A temporary fix I've found is making a stockpile for just that item and it only gives to one workshop. But that can't work on a large scale so a more permanent solution is needed
Pages: 1 2 [3]