Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unique Buildings - Sprite Resources  (Read 15642 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Unique Buildings - Sprite Resources
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:38:54 am »

Hello modding community, now for something completely different. :)

Mifkis TwbT will support custom tiles for buildings in future updates. While initially intended to override single tiles to make buildings look different/better, it allows to import any picture. Here is an example with some statues taken from a RPG resource tileset.

This means that all buildings could be redesigned, or that new graphics for buildings could be made. Either as complete icon, or individual tiles. It also includes hardcoded buildings, like still, kitchen, tanner, and siege engines, like ballistas and catapults, and even completely hardcoded objects like archery targets.

Here is an example with background code, that imports two Warcraft II sprites (Copyright by Blizzard)

The end result, ingame screenshot. You can easily change the black background to fit the grass, or constructed floor. This is just a quick example.

What we now need, suggested by deon, is a collection of resources that modders, graphic artists and players can use. A huge thread with new tiles for buildings, complete icons, building files... I will certainly do my best to create some original content, and scour the net for some free-to-use tilesets that fit the theme of DF. I know it will be hard to find something that fits the more comic-theme of spacefox or mayday, while the more realistic look of obsidian, ironhand and phoebus clash with it... but I hope some will fit all.

I would recommend using 24x24 tiles, because they are still readable when downscaled to 16x (most tilesets), 18x (Ironhand), but will still look nice when upscaled to higher resolutions like 32x.

Collection:
128x64 and 64x64 creatures and objects by Shockbolt, made for Angband, for use with DF. No redistribution for other projects please. I got permission by him personally.
Spoiler:  Character Sprites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Item Sprites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Monster Sprites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Monster Sprites2 (click to show/hide)

24x24 weapons, armors, instruments, foods, ammo and trapcomps. Created from resources of the RPG VX maker and by Meph. Currently used in MasterworkDF.
Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Misc Objects (click to show/hide)

So please, everyone gather around and post what you like. Any suggestion and feedback is welcome as well of course. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Unique Buildings - Sprite Resources
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:51:09 am »

Human Food Merchant, Dimension: 5x5, using 16x16 tiles. Traders, Chest and Coin from Phoebus set.

Human Clothing Merchant, Dimension: 5x5, using 16x16 tiles. Traders from Phoebus set.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:00:20 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:22:22 am »

Be careful though, RPGmaker VX's rtp-graphics actually require you to own rpgmaker vx to use them, as in, use them legally. They're not 'free' graphics.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:25:38 am »

I have been made aware of that. I almost bought it, but read the fineprint and noticed that even then, I could only use them in RPG VX games, not in anything else. The problem I have is that all tilesets I have in my art folder are randomly put together, with auto-generated names, and I cant figure out which ones are from RPG VX and which ones arent.

But yeah, original content would be much, much better.

Edit: The basis for these two merchants I took from a free rpg made with the free Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio. But of course its author might as well have been taking them from RPG VX, I dont know.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:31:27 am by Meph »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:11:44 am »

I think a large part of those ones for the merchant is from the Mac and Blue tileset, if I'm seeing that correctly.
These were old tilesets made for RPGmaker 2000, but it's been forever since I toyed with those. I don't recall if they were free to use(I think so).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:19:57 am »

The file is called "mack__s_tile_set__e_by_draymondc-d2z3zh8" so... maybe?

Flobulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 03:14:35 pm »

Looks awesome.
May be something of use here: http://opengameart.org/content/workable-style-32x32-tiles

Diton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 11:05:00 am »

it's currently only possible to replace custom workshops like this, and not vanilla, right?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 11:10:02 am »

You can replace tiles in vanilla workshops as well. But its more tricky, because you can only replace specific tiles. Many vanilla buildings use "empty" tiles, so you cant really change the form of them.

Doren

• Bay Watcher
  • On closer inspection, that dog is a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »

I wonder if it can override creatures regarding their caste?
Having different male and female sprites would be even more awesome i think.
And if there are more castes like guildsmen or magi... well, it will be quite a work to do, but i think it is worth it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 04:37:27 pm »

No, but it was suggested to mifki. It would be amazing. Truly.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 05:58:13 pm »

This thread should be five million times more active! :O Sounds (looks) like the future of Dwarf Fortress..

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 06:37:58 pm »

I think it would be really nice if we could get a general repository (maybe even throw up a sticky in this folder) for creature, building, item, and tile graphics. Hopefully we could attract some more artists to come and contribute and have a large collection of these things.

Alexander86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:55 pm »

Wow.....this is going to be INSANE!!!

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 02:29:35 am »

The file is called "mack__s_tile_set__e_by_draymondc-d2z3zh8" so... maybe?

If it is something you don't have the copyright on then you need to remove it. The last thing we need is for DF to be associated with any copyright claims.
Pages: [1] 2