Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The Valley (Genii Locus) [For 6 Players]  (Read 8178 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Valley (Genii Locus) [For 6 Players]
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:22 am »

Until now, you have slumbered.  More accurately, you perhaps haven't even existed.  You seem to have some vague memory of a time before now, but nothing more than a half-forgotten echo.  The stirring of not merely life, but civilisation has come upon you.  You are what the humans who have arrived in your valley might call a "genius loci", had they the words.  You are the spirits of these lands, and these men are living here at your sufferance.

You can sense a handful of huts in the valley, clustered around the wide stream that runs through your reach.  You have a rough sense of the inhabitants, perhaps twenty or thirty minds.  They seem to be simple folk, scratching out a living from a handful of roots and vegetables planted in your soil, supplemented by fishing and hunting.  They cut a few trees for firewood, but otherwise have little impact upon your forests.

Their very presence is causing your awakening, and yet they may not ultimately have your best interests in mind.  You draw a modicum of strength from them, but you can feel more power drawn from the forest and stream about you.  They might, left to their own devices, damage your wilds.

There are four others besides you, you can sense.  Other, bare glimmerings of awareness.  One spirit inhabits the river and streams that run through this valley.  One spirit runs through the high hills on either side.  One spirit fills the forests that cover the slopes.  One spirit reaches across the rolling plains at the valley's base.  One spirit lurks in the bogs at the bottom of the valley, where the river runs out to sea.  And one spirit, the weakest, seems to filter through the tiny settlement itself.

The villagers have begun naming this place, these lands - you.  What do they call the river, the hills, the forests, the plains, the bogs and their own tiny settlement?

And what will you do?

Spoiler: Game Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The River (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Plains (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Forests (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Hills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Bog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Hamlet (click to show/hide)

Hello and welcome to my new game, The Valley!  In it, players play genius locorum (singular genius loci), the guardian spirits of different parts of the valley.  Sign-ups are first come, first serve - name yourself, and then claim the spirit you want to play.  A word of warning: the Town spirit plays on slightly different rules.  How much strength they get depends on how well the humans as a whole are doing, rather than how they are doing in any one biome.

Any players who don't make the initial signups can be waitlisted, so that if anyone drops out they can take their place.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:54:55 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Valley (Genius Locorum) [For 6 Players]
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:51:59 am »

The Whispering Wind of the Hills signing up, sir.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:00:10 am »

Welcome aboard!  Also, feel free to post any first actions if you wish, and communication with other spirits is a free action.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:00:34 am »

The Ancestors of Narsis (Hamlet)! Ready to guide and help its kin, if they are worthy.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:08:08 am by Evil Marahadja »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:02:25 am »

PTW

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 08:04:09 am »

I'll be the Silent Glow of the Bog then.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:11:20 am »

I am the Sleeping Giant of the Forest
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:31:27 am by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:18:31 am »

This sounds like a really cool game. If it's okay, I'll play as the Blessed Spirit of The River

And, a question on strength, Can we save up strength over turns for larger actions? Or do we lose what's left over when we sleep?

In ether case, I think I will use Broad Focus HEAL as I imbue positive energies into the river area. (8 NAT)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 08:30:41 am »

The Grass of the Plains reporting in!

First action, view the valley!

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 09:08:03 am »

Waitlist.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 11:09:55 am »

As the ancestors awake from its slumber, they are still weak, since they are few are forgotten. They scout the valley, searching for its grandgrand sons and daughters.

View the valley (-1 strength)

Spirits in Narsis start pushing its kin to remember and reinvent old rituals and traditions in the honour of the ancestors. They must not be forgotten!

Whisper in Narsis; Remember thy ancestors, they must not be neglected but instead honoured in shrines and rituals. (-2 strength)

Left this turn: 4 strength. (?)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 11:46:26 am »

The Whispering Wind... Whispers [Valley, -1 Strength] across the vale, calling beasts and men to come to the hills.

(You can use General Str for either Nat or Cul actions, right? Or did I misunderstand?))
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 11:48:41 am »

Btw; From a meta perspective is there any idea for two players to do the same view action? (From a RP perspective it makes sense, obviously)

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 12:40:05 pm »

View, Fine focus, Forester camp.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »

waitlist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9