Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixing cowardice  (Read 1376 times)

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing cowardice
« on: August 01, 2014, 01:42:28 am »

So it seems like in the current version of the game, everyone defaults to being a massive coward due to the new "horror" code. For example, one person reported a siege attacking their fortress, kill two chickens and then run away in horror at the carnage they had just produced themselves, and I've seen the same thing happen with a single war dog. Someone else reported their hospital becoming basically unusable because of a corpse in there making the doctors all run away in horror constantly (and nobody would haul it for the same reason).

If I'm going to play the new version, I want to be able to fix this. Is there anything I can do in terms of modding to achieve this? Ideally I'd like horror to still exist at a significantly reduced frequency, but if that's not possible I'm happy to just turn it off completely. Would setting all of the major race's bravery values to 100:100:100 accomplish this? And if so, is there a way to just make this change in one place rather than having to set it for every race individually?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing cowardice
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:37:09 am »

Set the natural skill discipline to 1 or 2, it will make the people more sane about battle decisions.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:12 am »

It seems that the DISCIPLINE skill is supposed to kick in when a creature is losing a fight or witnesses their allies getting killed, causing them to flee, but it seems that if they have no discipline at all they will always be in 'flee' mode even before the fight begins.  The BRAVERY personality value affects their initial assessment of an enemy (i.e. high bravery will allow small creatures to challenge big ones, but they still need enough DISCIPLINE to keep from running away immediately).

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:04:14 am »

Set the natural skill discipline to 1 or 2, it will make the people more sane about battle decisions.

Okay, how do I go about doing this? I'm only vaguely familiar with the raws at best.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:52 am »

Okay, how do I go about doing this? I'm only vaguely familiar with the raws at best.

See this topic for some example modified raws.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:10 am »

[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:1] would be novice discipline.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:15:11 am »

Alright, that's a start. How would I apply this to all creatures though? It would be easy enough to apply it to Dwarves, Elves, Humans and Goblins at least, but I'm guessing this wouldn't affect randomly-generated animal men or were-things.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:58:42 am »

Alright, that's a start. How would I apply this to all creatures though? It would be easy enough to apply it to Dwarves, Elves, Humans and Goblins at least, but I'm guessing this wouldn't affect randomly-generated animal men or were-things.

Randomly generated things like clowns have bugged morale, and unfortunately there's no good way to change this.   You can apply this to megabeasts and semimegabeasts however (and I just go all the way to [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:15], though 6 is fine too)

You may also want to put natural discipline skill to other threatening wildlife (anything with [LARGE_PREDATOR] and/or [EVIL]) as well as trainable animals.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 12:03:23 pm »

Is this a fix that can be applied to a creature post-embark / post-worldgen?