Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What's the Ideal Armour Setup?  (Read 6288 times)

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Ideal Armour Setup?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »

I create a new uniform for all dwarf squads which includes

Metal Breastplate
Metal Mailshirt
Metal Helm
Metal Greaves
Metal Gauntlets
Metal High Boots
Leather Cloak
Shield

Which metal depends on what's going at the moment, but when I choose replace clothing, they wear it all perfectly. They won't change armour for better pieces unless you specifically direct them to do so either.

I haven't actually seen it myself, but apparently cloaks are almost essential to any military armour set

I use this setup as well. Cloaks are the only item that will protect the throat and they don't weigh much so why not?
 I never used to give them mailshirts, just breastplates, until I lost half a squad to upper arm injuries. They drop their weapon and shield then it's pretty much all over... My hammerer is a survivor of that debacle. Her left arm is chopped off at the shoulder and the right one hangs uselessly.
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 08:39:58 pm »

Adamantine mail shirt, Steel everything else.

aurumvorax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 11:52:42 pm »

my uniform that i give to the military once i have a metal industry running is usually:
helm, 2 hoods
3 mail shirts, breastplate
gauntlets
2 trousers, greaves
high boots
8 cloaks

i dont give mittens or socks becouse for some reason is really hard to figure out for dwarves(i dont know is this has been fixed i got used to this setup).And always remember shields

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 12:22:32 am »

I give my melee dwarves:

Gauntlets
High boots
Breastplate
Mail shirt
Helm
Greaves
Wood shield

Marksdwarves (squad leaders/elites equipped like melee dwarves):

Gauntlets
Mail shirt
Leather chestpiece
Helm
High boots
Copper crossbow
Wood shield

Civilians:

Same as marksdwarves+silver hammer.
My civilians can each keep a gob melee squad busy for a good while, just by standing there spraying bolts.

I used to also give everyoine:

6xcloak
6xhood
2xtrousers
Mittens

But since I introduced a civilian uniform I've just done away with normal clothing altogether, because getting rid of worn clothes is a hassle.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 01:31:17 am »

Are all these layers really that helpful? My military don't wear any civilian clothes...
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 01:35:52 am »

Why has no one mentioned chausses? Basically they're chainmail socks.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 01:38:24 am »

I create a new uniform for all dwarf squads which includes

Metal Breastplate
Metal Mailshirt
Metal Helm
Metal Greaves
Metal Gauntlets
Metal High Boots
Leather Cloak
Shield

Which metal depends on what's going at the moment, but when I choose replace clothing, they wear it all perfectly. They won't change armour for better pieces unless you specifically direct them to do so either.

I haven't actually seen it myself, but apparently cloaks are almost essential to any military armour set

I use this setup as well. Cloaks are the only item that will protect the throat and they don't weigh much so why not?
 I never used to give them mailshirts, just breastplates, until I lost half a squad to upper arm injuries. They drop their weapon and shield then it's pretty much all over... My hammerer is a survivor of that debacle. Her left arm is chopped off at the shoulder and the right one hangs uselessly.
A mail shirt also covers the throat

And can you buy metal chausses?
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 03:59:14 am »

Why has no one mentioned chausses? Basically they're chainmail socks.

Because dwarves can't make them unless you mod them.

Also, they're more like chainmail stockings - they go all the way up the leg. Really wish dwarves could make them, that sounds useful.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 05:16:24 am »

Has anyone experience with metal masks? I get an annual delivery from my gobbos, and my civilians like wearing them. Would it be a good idea to give them to the military instead? Those are currently on hood+steel helm. No idea what masks protect and if that is covered by something else.

Its also weird to see X iron mask X, they wear out like socks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:16 pm »

Has anyone experience with metal masks? I get an annual delivery from my gobbos, and my civilians like wearing them. Would it be a good idea to give them to the military instead? Those are currently on hood+steel helm. No idea what masks protect and if that is covered by something else.
They cover the head like caps, helms, etc. Your best defense for faces is chain mail, strangely.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:15 pm »

Now I need to figure out how to equip chainmail on the head slot, turban-like maybe? :P

My dwarven children send their thanks, they will be allowed to keep the masks, wasn't looking forward to regularly replacing foreign items anyway, soldiers already have chain and helm.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 11:10:52 pm »

Now I need to figure out how to equip chainmail on the head slot, turban-like maybe? :P
It equips on the chest slot but covers everything shown in the pic.

How or why things like dresses cover the toes but not the feet is anybody's guess.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:12:54 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 03:48:01 am »

I use three armor suits-
A) Heavy soldier
One helmet
Three leather hoods
Three leather cloaks
One mail shirt
One breastplate
One metal
Leather mittens
Metal gauntlets
Chain leggings
Two leather trousers
Metal high boots
The strongest weapon I can give them

B) Normal soldier
Metal helm
Leather hood
Leather cloak
Metal mail shirt
Leather armor
Wooden shield
Leather gloves
Chain leggings
Leather high boots

C) Man at arms
Metal helm
Leather cloak
Mail shirt
Leather armor
Wooden shield
Leather gloves
Leather leggings
Leather high boots
Either a spear, sword, or hammer.

The militia survive surprisingly well, only losing one or two per siege. The heavy soldiers cut a clean path through the enemy, considering I force them to use the best. With enough patience, they could all be swinging artifacts.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 04:46:36 am »

Since gauntlets cover the lower arm, mail shirts hang down over the upper legs, and high boots cover the lower legs, I'd consider the following:

metal helm
metal mail shirt
metal gauntlets
metal high boots

to be a minimum, which puts a single layer of metal on all the parts, protecting them from being cut off easily (technically they could easily come apart at elbow and knee, but the game doesn't know how to simulate that). Greaves are an extra, so are breastplates, especially since you can put an extra two mail shirts on each dwarf.

It's important to protect the limbs so that dwarves don't drop their weapon/shield/themselves to the ground. That makes them much less effective.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2014, 06:40:50 am »

I prefer using iron for armor, as it'll block anything non-steel effectively and is far easier to manufacture than steel is.

Regular infantry equipment:
Steel melee weapon
Wooden shield
Iron helm
Iron mail shirt
Iron gauntlets
Iron high boots
Dimple-dyed pig tail cloak
and shirt/trousers/socks (not important).

Heavy infantry will tend to get breastplates and greaves on top of that, and iron shields.
Marksdwarfs usually just get an iron helm, shield, blue cloak, maybe a leather armor if I have a lot of leather around. They're generally used to man fortifications so don't need that much protection.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:43:20 am by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4