Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: ☼Glimmerring☼ - Human Fortress by the sea - Save is up.  (Read 40574 times)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Glimmerring☼ - Human Fortress by the sea - Save is up.
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2014, 06:48:27 pm »

Dude, are you saying we should share our drinks with this random douche who just walked in here? Step away from the Tub of Happiness this instant!
I dopn't suppose you mean this tub of happiness?:

And is that Tob?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2014, 08:26:59 pm »

10th Slate, 103

Meph just imposed a ban on export of the ballista parts we just manufactured for him. I really wonder what he plans to do with them, but I'd rather not ask.

Putting together some rock pots so we can store some more drinks.

12th Slate, 103

The miners hit a cavern today.

Seems as though they hacked into the floor only to nearly fall into it. I'm going to have some stairs carved into the side of its walls and we'll see what we can find; a cavern well is always a good option for when all else fails.

24th Slate, 103

Nothing much happening. Meph wants better accomodations even though they're lavish as all hell. Bloody nobles.

26th Slate, 103

Pado's got everything she demanded but she still isn't doing anything. It's concerning, and there really isn't much I can do.

I wonder if I have any spare war animals around.

18th Felsite, 103

Finally! A matter of import. An elven caravan has arrived. I'll have Meph see what we can sell off at once.

19th Felsite, 103

It would appear we have...almost nothing to sell. What were those stonecrafters doing the past two months? Oh well. No crisis in not being able to purchase anything,

this settlement is entirely self-sufficient as it stands.

20th Felsite, 103

Our latest project has just been completed.

A simple well drawing from a resevoir in the caverns. It's clean and safe from freezing, so it should solve any issues with water we might have had before. It's pleasing not to hear the complaints of the men who can't provide water without a source...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While I'm on the subject of drinks, our thirst problem has been remedied thanks to the drink merchant who happily provided us with some alcohol. I'll be on the watch in case anything else comes up on the matter.

25th Felsite, 103

Pado finally went mad today. Seems that she couldn't find the right way to put the pieces together. It's an unfortunate situation, but such is life.

13th Hematite, 103

One of the children died of thirst. Dehydration is not a common problem around the settlement anymore, so I can't say why it happened, but we mourn nonetheless.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2014, 12:28:48 pm »

Dude, are you saying we should share our drinks with this random douche who just walked in here? Step away from the Tub of Happiness this instant!
I dopn't suppose you mean this tub of happiness?:

And is that Tob?

Yay! Sgt Schlock!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2014, 12:46:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes.
left eye

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2014, 11:34:12 am »

16th Hematite, 103

Apparently everybody's getting bothered by the gulls circling the town.

I wonder if our archers are even remotely skilled enough to knock them out of the sky. I really want to see that happen.

17th Hematite, 103

One of our machine operators informed me that no more coin minting can take place until we have more gold ingots. This is bemusing, because I recently asked for a survey of the ore deposits below the earth and heard that not a single speck of gold was found. Looks like we may have to dig deeper.

23rd Hematite, 103

Heard some of the men speaking rumours of one 'Rushanves', a cauchemar spotted underneath the caverns. Strange. It's not often that a beast is named, only if it has earned that name. Vonsch, the miner, recently went missing too...I'm afraid to ask what this means.

Actually, the hell with it. We've got a reasonably capable militia and we can't mine particularly well if we're being restricted like this. I'm sending the Melee Militia along with archers for support and Uther.

What's taking so Tobdamn long? None of them have arrived, even after an hour.

Here come two of them. Alright. They're holding position...scratch that, they both just went after Rushanves. I fear that--never mind, the horse is dead. I'll be damned, not such bad work. Here comes more of the militia, after the fight is already over. All of them are going to be reprimanded for inefficiency after this.

Hold on, there are more cauchemars. One of the men is moving towards them. Brave man, but stupid too.

I take it back. I was about to send more men to assist him when he just sliced up both of the horses and walked back to rejoin the squad. Impressive.

8th Malachite, 103

The men stayed around the cavern to hunt some Niths and kill a giant toad that caused a little bit of trouble before they returned to the surface. As much as I hate to say it, this may be the most interesting thing that's happened all year.

13th Malachite, 103

Going to get some iron processed so that we can build a Crucible.

17th Malachite, 103

Looks like I spoke too soon.

Heard the screams of the lookout rooster before anything else, and I took a quick peek over the ramparts to see this hideous thing. I'll close the gate for now, pretty sure these things will just revert to humanity and walk away, from what I've been told.

Okay, update: not humanity, but orc...anity? Orcishness? Whatever, it killed a chicken, turned into an orc and ran. No longer my problem at this point.

24th Malachite, 103

Some roaming migrants seemed to want a peaceful life and came to join us here in Glimmerring. Whether or not it'll stay peaceful here, I can't say, so I won't tell.

{Time seems to be going far slower than normal, in spite of me changing the progression back to normal speed. Maybe I just prefer industry over economy. Anyway, hope this update isn't lacking in pictures too much to be acceptable. As I said, it's been slow. Average FPS was 75, too, so that might have something to do with it.}
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:23:56 am by InfiniteCastor »

IndiJosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Primulus
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2014, 04:22:28 pm »

I think I missed something...

How did you manage to build on constructed floor tiles like the second floor of the housing area?

"Losing is fun."

www.primulusgame.com

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2014, 05:15:15 pm »

You can build on floor tiles, just not construct

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2014, 07:44:31 am »

So... Glimmering died?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kyranzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2014, 05:50:11 am »

Hey Meph, great addition to the game. I'm playing my second human fort now. The first one went horribly wrong, after embark on a coastal area like you did, but there was aquifer at Z-3 and I was still getting used to stuff with the trading - got killed by frogman horde.

I have a question about the use of the boulders and brick splitting building you show in this tutorial fort. You embarked with the boulders, yes, but is there any way of mining/gathering or buying boulders during the gameplay? It does not seem to be written anywhere, and I've hunted through the building menus (the rock merchant, local merchant shop) to see if I could buy boulders and then split them.

Also in this tutorial fort you didn't seem to mention or show the open-cut mining technique (despite showing it in an earlier alpha test fort you had) and I forgot about it, so now I have a bunch of dizzy and slow miners :(.  I think the time taken to get penalties for being underground should be increased a bit, or at least reset the timer immediately on seeing sunlight. My miners live above ground, and eat up there etc, but in a long mining mission they get crippled very fast...

I also wanted to ask - you suggest in the human cheat-sheet image that most copper and silver etc should be melted into coins for trade, but aren't only gold coins considered sovereigns for trading? In my fort, I have hundreds of bars of copper, but not enough of any trade item to actually get ahead in terms of the trading system you have implemented. I need all the wood and stone I can find, and food (100 people!) so I dont really have anything left to trade other than perhaps gems.

sorry for the long post - it's my first one on these forums actually, after a lot of ghosting. Thanks for making an epic mod. I am a modder at heart too, and spent 2 years on a large mod for Company of Heroes, called KMOD, including paving the way for many other modders and I tried to write tutorials too. Keep up the good work mate.

EDIT:
One final question that others have not been able to answer on IRC channel, is how do I make clay products from Fire Clay? In my first fort I had heaps of this, but couldn't work out which workshop allowed me to "Shape" the clay prior to putting it into the Clay Oven. I missed that critical intermediate stage, and perhaps there is a workshop or guild that helps out with this? Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:58:44 am by kyranzor »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2014, 06:50:03 am »

While this is not really the place to ask questions, I will indulge you, since its your first post. ;) Next time come by the Masterwork board please, we have a all-things-human-mode thread there.

1. Boulders: All rocks bought from merchants come as boulders, as do everything you mine. They should be plenty around, just like dwarf mode. Any rock is a boulder.

2. Dizzy miners: I already made it easier, try short distances, or a minecart system. Wheelbarrows for transport also help. Light-shafts that pierce all the way to the surface are nice tricks as well.

3. copper/silver coins on cheat-sheet: Ups, thats outdated. I changed everything to gold, to ease micromanagement. I will remove that tip. You can still sell these bars at the metal merchant for gold coins.

4. Clay items: The kobold workshop is a pottery. You build a Clay Oven, collect clay. The kobold potter makes items, and you burn them in the clay oven into earthen/stoneware. But for clay/porcelain you need a kobold licence and a kobold workshop.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kyranzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2014, 06:55:53 am »

While this is not really the place to ask questions, I will indulge you, since its your first post. ;) Next time come by the Masterwork board please, we have a all-things-human-mode thread there.

1. Boulders: All rocks bought from merchants come as boulders, as do everything you mine. They should be plenty around, just like dwarf mode. Any rock is a boulder.

2. Dizzy miners: I already made it easier, try short distances, or a minecart system. Wheelbarrows for transport also help. Light-shafts that pierce all the way to the surface are nice tricks as well.

3. copper/silver coins on cheat-sheet: Ups, thats outdated. I changed everything to gold, to ease micromanagement. I will remove that tip. You can still sell these bars at the metal merchant for gold coins.

4. Clay items: The kobold workshop is a pottery. You build a Clay Oven, collect clay. The kobold potter makes items, and you burn them in the clay oven into earthen/stoneware. But for clay/porcelain you need a kobold licence and a kobold workshop.

Thanks Meph! That clears it up for me. I shall ask further questions if I have any at the dedicated MWDF forum.

Indeed I noticed that the wheelbarrows helped reduce time underground, so I have lots of those now. And now, 5 years into my fort, I found the utility of the wood splitter - 4 planks from 1 log would have helped immensely earlier on :(
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]