Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: ☼Glimmerring☼ - Human Fortress by the sea - Save is up.  (Read 40298 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Glimmerring☼ - Human Fortress by the sea
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 06:02:24 pm »

Part 5 - Setting up shop

Now thats how this place looks without snow. Pretty... grey.

You notice several things you wont know from vanilla DF. First are the three little workshops near the wagon. They are brick splitting blocks, and make 8 brics per boulder.

The 4 trade-depot lookalikes are much more interesting. These are "Merchant stall (local)", meaning that they are human traders. They can set up shop and sell and buy any item. For gold coins. Which we dont have. So even if we would build a wood merchant, which could sell us wood, we couldnt buy it.

But we could build a stone merchant, sell some of our basalt boulders, get gold, and pay the wood merchant with it. Or we sell the meat we got from butchering that horse. Or maybe some of the fish that our woodcutter caught. Sorry Jaxy, there are no farms or seeds here, no trees to cut, no logs to work with... so you got fishing duty.

There are 15 merchants as you can see, but we dont have the materials that most of them would be interested about. And with no gold, we cant buy anything. I certainly want to get a wood merchant, a food merchant, a drink merchant and a stone merchant. Wood we need for beds and barrels. Food we can sell, we have meat and fish. Drinks we might need to buy, because the ocean is salty and there are no ponds or rivers. Stones we might sell in an emergency.

I will let the birds sit on their eggs, we can really use some more animals that give renewable resources at this point.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »

Nice.  Please humanize me as a traveler who, having spent some time on the road in the company of a wandering Orcish Ronin, has a foolproof idea for a business opportunity:  partner with a clan artisan to bring the high quality products of an orcish arms dealer to a fledgling community, all while leveraging the low cost of overseas snaga and goblin labor. And these rubes here in the backwater "Glimmerring" at the Dune of Lizards look like *just* the right kind of customers ...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:23:46 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 06:25:11 pm »

Fun Fact: The Dune of Lizards has no lizards.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 06:38:13 pm »

I must ask to be named! Jason the engineer! I better be caught in a freak cannon accident and get super powers and get horribly killed!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 06:41:23 pm »

Part 6 - Buying and Selling

Setting up merchants is surprisingly easy. Like vultures they descend upon your poor early settlement. You only need 3 blocks to build a merchant stall for them, and they dont care if its outside or inside. By now we have 10. Thats right, we can buy and sell 10 different kinds of materials now.

I started with leather, 6 units for 500 coins... but then I got distracted by yelling. Loud yelling by our miners. I ordered them to dig a straight shaft of up/down stairs, with little shafts going into the mountain. We found different rocks, some collapsed bricks of an old ruin (but sadly no treasure), we found kaolinite which is a pretty big deal for porcelain production... but most of all?

Wow. Thats lucky. Maybe this godforsaken dune isnt so bad. What is bad, is that mining is a bit harder for humans. And smelting is certainly harder than in vanilla DF. And wow... ehm... we have nothing set up for this. We might have found gold, but so far we have no ways of refining it. And with only seven people I dont think that this will change soon.

But I ordered the horse wool to be spun into thread, woven into cloth, and then sold. That, plus the leather, nets us 1000 gold, which is enough to buy 15 wooden logs. Finally we can get some beds around here. We slept on the ground long enough. With actual gold in the area, I think it would be best to stop selling our scarce resources, and instead focus on building up metalworks. Than402 will rejoice, because his mechanic skills will be of use for this.

PS: If you got the money, the chicks will flock to you automatically. Fluffy little golden chicks.

OOC: Smake and Jason, you will get your humans. Currently we have none free, and the waiting list is: Timeless Bob, Saegge, Smakemupagus as shady merchant with orc connections, and Jason as engineer. Engineer might take a while, because its not my first guild of choice. But we are getting to the guilds later.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 06:45:34 pm »

Interlude: You can influence this fort. Pick one, the one with most support will be done.

Focus on mod-specifics, for example we dug into warpstone. AAAAhhh.
Focus on metal industry, get that gold going.
Focus on guilds.
Focus on merchants.
Focus on defense.

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 06:51:40 pm »

Interlude: You can influence this fort. Pick one, the one with most support will be done.

Focus on metal industry, get that gold going.
Focus on guilds.
Focus on merchants.
Focus on defense.

I say Guilds/Deffence.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 06:56:30 pm »

I'm in favor of defense and gold-making.

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 07:00:15 pm »

heheheheh

But, in all seriousness, putting together guilds would be a good idea at the moment.

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 08:51:55 pm »

Go for some defenses and militia, can't have the settlement overrun by squatters and thieves once decent wealth is established. Also, once a human is available I'd be interested in joining. Ideally have the character be a squire with the name of Pelinal.

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 09:57:06 pm »

I'm for whatever gets people injured, so I can practice up my medical arts. I didn't spend that semester at Escuela Medico de Guatemala for nothing!
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Rathgir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 11:38:44 pm »

I'd like to be humanized! I'm not picky so any gender/profession going by the name 'Rathgir' will do. As for what's next, I think it would be a good idea to start our metal industry.

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
  • Mox alter equo vita reale at solis occasum equitat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 03:22:26 am »

let's make everything awesome and shiny! Gild aaaall the things!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 04:34:57 am »

Guild III
Defense III
Gold II

So we will go little bit of guild, little bit of defense, and a tiny bit of gold to afford the guild in the first place. ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 05:45:05 am »

Part 7 - Rudimentary stuff

Defense

Ok guys, we need to be secure. We are in calm surroundings and have twice as much time as in vanilla (remember that calender setting, its still spring btw.) but we should be better safe than sorry. Or not safe then sorry. We knows how that saying goes.

We cant do much, because trap components require a engineers guild. Ups. And steel for a military needs a smiths guild. And siege-engines dont fare much better. We can make some bows and arrows, but no one knows how to shoot, and we have way too much to do, we cant just send everyone shoot at archery targets. But we have Lord Conor.

Our resident tanners guild member did use the remaining leather from the horses to make some armor for him. Wait what? How did you sell 6 leather and still have leather, if you only butchered 2 animals? MDF gives leather depending on creature size, the horses were quite bit and gave 10 leather in total, 5 each. Quite hand to know, hunting elephants is very lucrative now. He also got a wooden shield.

Wood? We have no trees on the map.... Correct, but we have the wood merchant, and the miners found some rose quartz that we sold, so we finally managed to buy 15 wooden logs. We now have beds, some extra barrels and that round shield.

Besides our brace one-man militia, we are also working on what humans do best: Aboveground constructions.

Guild

Now I did mention Guilds previously. Seemingly everything needs those. And its true. There are 12 lines of industry, anything from farming to cooking, smithing and masonry.... best have a look yourself:

As you see we did build a Guildhall (empty). It can be outfitted with a guild for 1000 gold. That in itself would allow a human to join a guild for the meager fee of another 500 gold (damn crooks). Guild members learn twice as fast, so a Carpenters Guild member would learn all skills that have to do with wood-working twice as fast. But thats not all that guilds do. Each guildhall can be upgraded 4 times, and each upgrade unlocks another buildings. The carpenters guild for example gives a Sawmill, a Woodcrafters Shop, a Wood Shredder and a Exotic Woodworker. But each upgrade costs 1000 gold more than the last... we have no where near enough money for guilds...

Which brings us to:

Metalworks

Sadly, we do not have metalworks yet. Stay tuned for the next episode of "Humans try to heat shiny rock to make shinier lumps of expensive rock."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12