Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: ☼Glimmerring☼ - Human Fortress by the sea - Save is up.  (Read 40496 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Glimmerring☼ - Human Fortress by the sea
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2014, 03:22:43 pm »

Warrior
The warrior has 5 points in shield, armor and sword skill and 10 in melee combat. He has above average strength and endurance and spawns with a full set of silk clothing, steel armor, a steel shield and long sword.

Ranger
The ranger has 10 points in ranged combat and hunting, and 5 points in bow usage. He has above average agility, and spawns with a full set of silk clothing, hardened leather armor, quiver, 25 steel bolts and a steel recurve bow.

Barbarian
The barbarian has 10 points in axe combat and dodging, has above average strength and endurance, can enter combat trances, feels no fear. She spawns with a steel greataxe and hardened leather armor, pants and boots.

Bard
The bard has legendary 15 skill points in playing music. Who would have thought. Its an unused social skill, its more flavor than anything else. He spawns with a full set of silk clothing, and gives everyone around him +15% strength and +15% endurance, as well as no fear and likes fighting.

Monk
The monk has legendary 15 skill points in striking, kicking and dodging, as well as 10 in praying. He is sterile and never fathers kids, and spawns with a silk robe, pants and shoes. He has above average focus and spatial sense.

Cleric
The cleric has 3 points in all medical skills as well as hammer combat. She give everyone around her a 100%+ bonus to recuperation, which means that units heal wounds twice as fast. Thats not important in combat, but a hospital run by her will be twice as effective. She spawns with silk robes, pants and shoes, but no weapon.

Mage
The mage has legendary 15 skill points in magic weapon usage and spawns with a steel mage staff, silk robes, pants and shoes. She can use two spells, hailstorm and waterbolt, both projectile attacks with range 20. No friendly fire, very safe to use.

Conjurer
The conjurer has no special skill points and spawns only with a silk robe, pants and shoes. She does randomly spawn mephits, small scaly elemental demons, around her; on average 5 a year. These come in 4 types, fire, ice, acid and air, and can be farmed for scales and meat, or used as guard animals.

I personally would go for the warrior, since he comes with full steel armor.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rathgir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2014, 03:32:40 pm »

Yea, my vote is for the warrior, as well.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2014, 03:36:13 pm »

I say warrior. Steel armor.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2014, 03:36:48 pm »

normally i'd go for conjurer,but since we're almost overrun by chickens,let's go for the barbarian,since he's badass and 10k cheaper than the warrior.

Aggis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2014, 03:39:57 pm »

I would like to go for the mage, but for the sake of survival of the fortress I also put my vote on the warrior.

Hopefully we will get a mage later on.

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2014, 03:46:11 pm »

I vote for the warrior, could prove vital for future defenses.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2014, 03:48:51 pm »

Part 14 - 1 year report

Spoiler: Full fort map (click to show/hide)

1,2 and 3: These are 2 large noble houses and 12 smaller ones for the new migrants. They have beds and a cabinet, walls, roof, door and a stair to the roof, for possible future extension of a second floor. The noble houses are for Splint, the Sheriff and our Executioner, Aggis.

Spoiler: Houses (click to show/hide)

4: The residence of the local baron. Has some golden walls and stands on the hill overlooking the sea. Has a tiny crypt underneath, but is completely unfinished, therefore no picture.

5: The entry to the fort. We have a 5 tile wide bridge and ramparts next to it. No walls or fortifications or siege engines yet, but we managed to buy a slade turret from the dwarven caravan for 7800 dwarf bucks. It sits dead center above the bridge and looks inward. Everything that runs in will get shot in the back, and fleeing thieves and snatcher run right at it.

Spoiler: Entry (click to show/hide)

6 & 7: Our tavern and what I would call the guild-tower. The tavern can give AoE boosts, but I wont bother with that... it can also buy new civ members, complete with unique skills and equipment. The guilds in the tower are the merchants and the academics, both will play a greater role in things to come. I am just saying Orc Caravans and Blackpowder.

Spoiler: Guilds and Tavern (click to show/hide)

8: Our second house, which was build for the first migrant wave. Just wanted to show how the first settlers lived. They did not have their own houses, but rooms in the same one. The walls are soil, which made it very easy to build. We have a second one of these, a bit larger, for the first 7. It includes a larger dining room, but nowhere as large as the great dwarven halls you might see in their fortresses.

Spoiler: Old house (click to show/hide)

Overall we are doing well. We killed some animals, traded with 2 caravans, have plenty of lifestock, good amount of foodstuff, almost 30.000 gold coins. We got some weapons from the dwarves, including a turret. No armor for our military though. I made a new archer squad as well, with bows and bone arrows, but we dont have the archer towers for them yet.

People are generally happy, but the sheriff did beat up 6-7 or so a bit, because I didnt notice the "DO NOT EXPORT FIGURINES!" mandate by the baron. Maybe we should build a jail somewhere. We do have no cages, traps or trap comps though... no engineers guild.

Our miners are doing fine, we did find a second gold vein, and we have been selling all kinds of stuff... gems, cloth, leather, even some meat to get more and more gold. I did spend most of our gold on guild permits and ... basalt. Probably 15.000 gold did go to the stone merchant, to buy 300 basalt boulders, which are made into furniture and blocks. Lots and lots of blocks, about 2500 so far. Not bad for one year. (actually, that one year did give as much time as two years usually would. Dont forget that calender speed setting.)

Next on the list is getting the Merchants Guild going and inviting some foreign traders. And/or getting an adventurer to join us, hired in the tavern. Both cost lots of gold.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »

Part 15 - Uther the underwhelming warrior

Uther has been quite content lately. 

He is a member of The Cotton Bands.  He is a citizen of The Smiling Nation. 
He is fifteen years old, born on the 1st of Granite in the year 87. 
He is incredibly skinny.  He has a broad round chin.  His somewhat narrow large-irised amber eyes are very wide-set.  His nose is upturned.  His nose bridge is somewhat concave.  His skin is brown. 
He is clumsy. 
He has a way with words, but he has an iffy sense for music, a shortage of patience, a very bad sense of empathy and very bad intuition. 
He is assertive.  He does not go out of his way to help others.  He dislikes confrontations.  He is disorganized.  He doesn't go out of his way to do more work than necessary. 

*WARRIOR* Brandishing a full set of armor, shield and sword, this man is a warrior by trade. Skilled in melee combat and a natural ability for leadership, he makes a fine addition to any army.

A fifteen year old, incredibly skinny, clumsy "warrior" with very bad intiution, who dislikes confrontation. He doesn't go out of his way to do more work than necessary. 

This is perfect.

But he comes with the skills and gear to overlook this shortcomings:

OOC: All created creatures are always 15 years old. Just saying.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2014, 04:24:18 pm »

What about creatures whose lifespan is less than 15 years?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2014, 04:32:15 pm »

They die quickly of old age. but there are none created with such a short lifespan, except genies, and they die after 1 year anyway.

I am not sure if I should be super happy or grumpy, but we got 37! migrants. That brings us from 25 to 62 people. We need drinks, food, and 35 new houses. and beds. which need wood. which costs gold.

On the plus side: 19 of them have 3 points in some weapon skill, half of them are rank 3 archers. Plus 1 skill point in dodge, armor and shield. Quite handy to get 2 full squads of more or less capable militias that way. (no gear of course)

I think I will have to postpone the foreign trader / academics stuff, and build more houses and get some rudimentary gear going.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »

So will we be able to change calendar speed on release?

Also, PTW.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2014, 04:39:20 pm »

Also, PTW.
Yes.

Hey Jaxy, we have 37 migrants. Not a single one with mechanic, siege or machine operating or engineering skill. :))

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2014, 05:03:11 pm »

Also, PTW.
Yes.

Hey Jaxy, we have 37 migrants. Not a single one with mechanic, siege or machine operating or engineering skill. :))
This is now a meme.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2014, 05:04:54 pm »

Sorry. Jaso. Not Jaxy. Jaxy does have his human. ^^

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »

Considering the embark here, what we need on the hero list is a legendary deep-sea fisherman & shark hunter.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12