Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: ☼Glimmerring☼ - Human Fortress by the sea - Save is up.  (Read 40292 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
☼Glimmerring☼ - Human Fortress by the sea - Save is up.
« on: August 02, 2014, 07:15:11 am »

The Beginning - Setup
Part 1 - Embark Preparation
Part 2 - Embark Site
Part 3 - Nobles
Part 4 - First steps
Part 5 - First merchants
Part 6 - How to buy and sell
Part 7 - Trying metals, defense and guilds
Part 8 - Metalworks
Part 9 - Migrants
Part 10 - Map Overview in Autumn
Part 11 - Guilds - An Introduction
Part 12 - Migrant Wave 2
Part 13 - Advanced Trading
Part 14 - Year 1 Report (Remember the calender speed, its as long as two years)
Part 15 - Uther the underwhelming warrior
Part 16 - Religion - An Introduction
Part 17 - Advanced Trading #2
Part 18 - Calling caravans
Part 19 - Year 2 Report
Part 20 - YOUR TURN! - Save Uploaded

Hello everyone, I am Meph, the author of MasterworkDF. In a few days I will release a new playable race for my mod, the humans. They rely heavily on trade and guilds. In case you want to find out more about the traders, guilds and other buildings they offer, you can find a flowchart with all buildings here: http://i.imgur.com/H1eqFgd.jpg

I wanted to start a tutorial fortress to show new players how to handle this new race. And the community can choose where we embark, what we bring, what the goal of our little settlement or outpost will be.

If you want to join the fun, I will gladly add you. Cant dwarf you, since there are no dwarves around, but men and women stand ready. If anyone can come up with a better verb than "manned", I would be eternally grateful.

There are only 2 buildings I have to write before I call the race finished, the rest will be work on the manual, so we can start in probably 2-3 days from now. I might play the first 2-3 years, explaining how the different industries work, and after that we could do a succession fort, if players show interest. :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:51:49 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
Re: Planned Human Fortress - Ideas wanted (Maybe even players)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:14:58 am »

Can't say I haven't been excited for a new race. Above-ground castles and cannon?

Count me in.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 08:33:05 am »

DOUBLE POST,SORRY
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:36:53 am by than402 »

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:34:07 am »

If anyone can come up with a better verb than "manned", I would be eternally grateful.

since we're all already humans IRL(i guess...),how about simply "add me",instead of "man me"?here's how "dwarf me" is used,by a dictionary(with some additons):

dwarf:
noun, plural dwarfs, dwarves.
1.a person of abnormally small stature owing to a pathological condition, especially one suffering from cretinism or some other disease that produces disproportion or deformation of features and limbs.
2.an animal or plant much smaller than the average of its kind or species.
3.(in folklore) a being in the form of a small, often misshapen and ugly, man, usually having magic powers.
4.Astronomy , dwarf star
adjective
of unusually small stature or size; diminutive.

verb (used with object),dwarfed, dwarf-ing.
6.make someone a dwarf and add in a succession game Hey,that's a great game.Can you dwarf me as a male Swordsdwarf?

oh,also count me in,and sorry for double posting.i pressed quote instead of modify
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:36:22 am by than402 »

Skylord_Conor21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:02:09 am »

Can I play as a human swordsman please?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:31 am »

Skylord_Conor21: Sure thing. "lord conor, human swordsman" sounds good?

than402: Any preferences for your man or woman?

InfiniteCastor: Same question, any preferences?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:38:27 am »

i'd like an engineer/weaponsmith.a man preferably,but i'm ok with a woman too.

InfiniteCastor

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely disastrous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 11:10:42 am »

No real preference, if anything I can just fill that one space that won't get taken otherwise.

Although, that being said, I really would enjoy a succession game, especially given what they seem to have offered in the past for throwing players varied gameplay.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 12:49:25 pm »

How about a race neutral "personify me" as ...  Actually, that'd work in any of your races.
(Ex: 'Personify me' as the first Human baby girl and name her "Victoria")
 or
('Personify me' as a beer guzzling male dwarven farmer named Ralph...)

Let's have some fun:  Find out who the current King/Queen of the Human faction is and 'personify me' as a migrant of the appropriate gender who bears the same name, followed by the profession 'Prince/Princess'.  They must have been born since world gen and if we can get an actual migrant who is a child of the current King/Queen, that'd be just dandy.

Obviously, they aspire to becoming the next King/Queen of the Humans.

Ideas:
   Workshop: Specific shrines/temples to the various Gods by making the template require a statue with that God's name in the item description. Every time a citizen passes through/near the shrine/temple, they get a happy thought (Perhaps from "admiring a well placed statue".)

On a pre-generated random annual date (one each per deity in a pantheon), have each deity invite all the citizens who worship them, to a party. Message generated, "The <insert race here> have gathered together to honor <insert deity here>.  Everyone who attends the party gets a happy thought commensurate with their level of worship of that deity but also creates a grudge against everyone else who ISN'T at the party to simulate religious intolerance. Everyone at the party should also increment their worship of that deity up two ticks. upon the 1st of Granite everyone in the Fortress is decreased 1 tick in worship of all deities - (this makes those who regularly worship a specific deity slowly become more religious, but those who don't worship become eventual atheists.) (Religious Holidays).

Females who "give birth" are delayed by 9 months, because the female gets the tag "Pregnant".  Possibly set up as a syndrome all babies have that infects only their mothers?  This could affect some creatures as well as people, with various gestation times as strength of syndromes.  "Pregnant" donkeys, "pregnant" cats, but not "pregnant" geese or "pregnant" carp...   (Baby transformed into temporary heavy object making mothers slower/less able to do stuff called something like "preggo belly" or maybe infant can just be delayed from being born at all - don't know if that's possible though.)

Idea: Special parties created for certain events to create more individual personality for the citizens.

Weddings: "So and so have gotten married!" triggers a party where the married couple and all of their friends/family is invited. Message generated: "Reception to be held at <insert party meeting place here>".  Happy thoughts all around.

Funerals/Kidnappings/Artifact Thefts: "So and so has just been found dead..." ques a party a week or month later where all the friends and family are invited and also generates the message "The <insert race> have gathered to grieve the loss of <insert dead/kidnapped/stolen person's or object's name> at <insert party meeting space here>."  Happy thoughts all around.

Births: "So and so has just given birth to..." triggers a party where all of the friends and family of the mother are invited, but it's the infant that is the generator of the party (simulates the "ooo baby!" focus of first birthday parties).  Message generated: "The <insert race> have gathered to celebrate the birth of <insert baby name here> at <insert party meeting space here>.
      (If 9 month syndrome is being used, two events are generated, the first one creates a party for the mother and all of her female relatives/friends.  Message generated: "<insert mother's name here> is having a baby shower at <insert meeting space here>" while the "Birth" party is then cued for 9 months out as well.

Birthdays: Every time a person increments their age, a party is triggered inviting all of that person's family and friends.  Message generated: "The <insert race here> have gathered to celebrate <insert person's name here> birthday.  If age increment is recorded annually in the unmodded program instead, use the info of when a "birth" generates a party and in the absence of that information, the random annual religious holiday maker could be used to que birthdays to citizens as well. 

Ideas for Historic/secular holidays:
   Founding of the Fortress. Message: "Today is Founder's Day.  We gathered to honor the founders of <insert fortress name>."
   Artifact creation. Message: "On this day in <insert year>,  <insert artifact> was created by <artifact creator's name>.  All hail "<insert artifact creator's name>!"
   (1st time only per fortress) Miners find admantine. Message: "On this day in <insert year>, our miners discovered a vein of admantine!  All praise the miners!"
   No longer being seiged/attacked/end of rampage. Message: "On this day in <insert year>, the <insert name of war/battle/rampage (copied from Legends mode?)> ended. We gather to remember the fallen heroes of that fight."
   Legends mode wars being ended. (Same as above, but que'd pre-founding)
   Legends mode coronations. Message: "Today we celebrate the coronation of <insert title><insert name> in <insert year>." (If not dead: add "Long may they reign".)
   Someone gets the position of Mayor or other Royalty Message: (Same as Legends mode coronations above, except "coronation" becomes "appointment" for the "Mayor" position.)
   One of the Royalty/Preisthood visits/migrates to a fortress. Message: "<insert name> has arrived! All venerate <insert title>!" (How often have you accidentally allowed a high priest or a lord/lady of your civ to die without finding out about it until you check Legend's mode?  I hate that!)
   I'm sure you can think of others, but this is a good start.

The way I see it working is that each time a day changes, a check against a .txt schedule is made to see if any parties are supposed to be happening on that date and it generates the appropriate parties for them if they are.  This has the added benefit of being able to easily edit in/out any holidays that you want to add/subtract from the fortress without much trouble.  Soundsense could be easily updated to detect and respond to the new messages, which would be pretty cool, tantrum spirals would be less common, as more partying would happen in fortresses with bigger populations, but at the same time, religious turmoil/schism fun could be more likely if you used the "religious holiday" stuff on temples to more than one deity.  Also, it would be fun to see the (perhaps violent) interactions between "devout" citizens who are holding grudges against other citizens who worship other deities or who are atheists.

New job: "Become clergy".  The job should be set up via the holy site and cause a position title to be added to the citizen based on the main sphere of influence for the deity (named in the statue's description).  (Position titles and names of religions should probably be generated and stored upon the completion of a shrine or temple workshop and even flagged as an event in Legends mode, as it does in World generation.
Example: "In <insert year>, <temple name> was built in <site name>.  In <year>, <religion name> arose within the <temple name>, In <year>, <citizen name> was appointed <religious title> of <religion name>.)
An idea: priesthoods should work similarly to military squads, with the "Praying" skill and skills relating to their deity's spheres of influence being buffed when "sparring" (Although the "sparring" site would be specific temples and they wouldn't be fighting, but rather "performing holy rituals" or something like that.)
"Acolyte"(Squad Member), "Initiate"(Militia Captain), "Lay-Priest"(Militia Commander), "Priest"(Royal Guard), "High Priest" (Captain of the Guard).  Each level, a citizen would have to qualify with both a high enough "Praying" skill as well as a high enough "worship" level for the deity.  For each site, there would only be one "High Priest" of any deity, but those "High priests" would be the only ones eligible to be chosen for the highest religious position in the event that the citizen who held that title died.  The highest religious position should be a royal title commensurate to the level of "General" in the Military ranking.

New job: "Attempt conversions".  Similar to the speaker's podium and que'd from a specific temple: One of the clergy of some religion goes to the temple of their main deity (whichever one has the highest level of worship; if its a tie, choose the first in the list) and generates the message: "<insert name> has begun teaching about <insert deity>".  Generate a disease called "crisis of faith" which affects citizens by increasing worship of all deities in the pantheon by +1 rank if they are unable to fight the disease off.  (This would simulate the varying possible ignorance about religion and the usual general response to first learning about a religion without forcing those who have already heard about it but for some reason still don't worship it to suddenly become religious once more.  Ah, the illusion of free will!)  On the 1st of Granite, any deity without a shrine will be decremented from those who had their "crisis of faith" and the citizen will go back to non-belief, while also becoming immune to future "crisis of faith" events.  Deities with a shrine, however, may gain some new converts on their holy days and the religion can then grow in numbers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:31:09 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 02:08:32 pm »

I think "humanize."  We all could use a bit of that.  :D

I had just downloaded the 0.3 alpha when you posted to 1.0 (of course.) So downloading again. Murphy rules, as always.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 02:15:21 pm »

Man me as a farmer, please.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 02:16:50 pm »

Humanticize me, please!
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 02:34:52 pm »

Including me that makes 7. I think we have our starting party.

Any biomes favored?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 03:28:21 pm »

since we're not doing much digging,how about a lake or a beach?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 03:30:03 pm »

One with heavy forestation due to humans' reliance on wood. That leaves points for more important stuff. Like drink, food, ore, and tools.

since we're not doing much digging,how about a lake or a beach?

I'm in favor of this, so long as there's building materials that don't require fuel handy from the get-go. Wouldn't want the place to get trashed by beakwolves or something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12