Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Warden - "I have returned from beyond the grave to give the living haircuts."  (Read 22630 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warden (Links to website and gameplay videos in the thread!)
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2014, 06:01:20 pm »

PC Version
Mac Version

Game in about an hour, then another game three hours after that.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Warden (Game tonight, drop in and check it out!)
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2014, 06:52:46 pm »

Teamspeak channel is up, under "Other".
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2014, 08:07:20 pm »

A. What's the Teamspeak address? Figured it out.
B. Is there still a game later tonight? Nevermind, is stupid.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:14:48 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2014, 09:04:45 pm »

Okay, we're actually gonna just leave it at that. That is, no second game today.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Warden (Website and gameplay videos in thread)
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »

Awww...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:36 am »

Should throw some screens in the OP for those who are too busy or mobile to video. I tend to prefer to check screens to vids myself even though I'm at my desktop. Still going to check it out mind  but something to think about :P

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2014, 08:46:37 am »

It's not much, but here are a few screenshots I took a few games ago when I was dead and in observer mode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2014, 03:28:42 pm »

It's not much, but here are a few screenshots I took a few games ago when I was dead and in observer mode.

That's fantastic! Do you mind if I link those in the OP?

Also, game news that will seem very minor but could turn into something awesome. This...

...is a bump.
Spoiler: Dear God. (click to show/hide)
There's more.

Specifically, it's a procedurally generated starting area with three smoothing passes. This is the first time I've looked into procedurally generated terrain, but a few of the players at the last testing session pointed out that the map is too easily memorized, and asked whether I had considered procedural generation. I hadn't put much thought into it, given how inexperienced I was earlier in the development cycle, but at this point I decided that I'm competent enough to pull it off.

So this morning I started working on terrain generation. I hadn't done anything besides use Unity's in-editor terrain system, but I have a simple terrain creation system set up already. It can take 'rooms' (areas, either outside or inside) and project them onto a terrain mesh.

While it currently only has the one predefined starting area, my task now is to work out a simple logical process to grow areas off of that; for example, it starts with a random number of exits from the starting area, determines biomes of sorts (not necessarily biomes, but they can be defined as hills, valleys, forests, ruins, etc.) that can logically connect to the current area, and repeat until the map is filled.

Where is the system at now? It can read room data, display it on a terrain, and smooth sharp edges. Beyond that, it will need to be able to create paths (smoothing specific areas so players can walk up and down them), apply textures (I have an idea for using the slope normals and path data for that), and create rooms. Rooms need to be able to place prefabs (boulders, cliffsides, trees, etc.) in logical spots, but that's a problem for a later date. Not much later, but at least a few days from now.

Will this work? Who knows! Let's find out.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »

This does indeed, very awesome.
Also, a list of suggestions for possible future monsters:

EDIT: ALSO: Creepy ambiance.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:04:25 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2014, 04:41:54 pm »

Good luck! It seems like a fairly large thing to do, but if it works out it could be really cool.

That's fantastic! Do you mind if I link those in the OP?

Sure, feel free to do as you wish.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2014, 06:33:15 pm »

Okay, I've made it so that rooms are randomly sized and shaped, avoid overlapping rooms that were generated before them, and avoid the edges of the map. Next up is getting points on room borders to create adjacent rooms from and automatically painting textures based on terrain normals. However, as I've spent the past five and a half hours working on this brain-frying puzzle, I think I'm just gonna spend the rest of the day playing vidya games.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2014, 02:35:21 pm »

Day 2 of procedural generation:

You can see four distinct rooms. Smoothing was turned off to make it easy to tell them apart, and heights are completely randomized right now; in the future, elevation will be based off of the adjacent rooms with some randomization (to contrast between cliffs and hills). Textures are applied based on the ground's slope.

The rooms often overlap, but I'm working the kinks out of the system today. It'll reliably create independent rooms soon enough, but at least it no longer breaks itself by trying to create rooms outside of the terrain's area.

EDIT: I think, given time constraints (i.e. the fact that a robust enough procedural generation system is a whole project on its own) I'm going to, at the very least, set aside procedural content for now. It's been interesting puzzling out the logic of the system, but I'm going to take a different approach to the replayability problems: letting players create their own maps. One of the first projects I ever worked on in Unity was a virtual tabletop that allowed DMs to create their own maps in 3D space and sync them with the client players. At least with this approach, I know I can recreate a similar system within a relatively short time.

Also, now I know how to edit terrain with scripts, which means people can create their own terrains in-game and add props to them! Learnin' something new everyday.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:56:28 pm by Araph »

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2014, 11:01:48 pm »

Woohoo keep up the good work. Looking forward to play testing it with you guys again.
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 03:20:57 pm »

The TS is down for a while, so where are we gonna go and talk?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15