Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 55

Author Topic: grisha5  (Read 121984 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: grisha5
« Reply #390 on: August 19, 2014, 03:14:27 pm »

Toady only banned ponies permanently after the second or third pony thread descended into terribleness.

A long time ago, there was no lower boards. People could also change their names at will during that time. If I recall correctly, penguinofhonor once mentioned that his current name was not his original one. There was only one board, where everything went, Various Nonsense. In that board, there was a thread. I have no knowledge of how the thread started, but it eventually became a thread where people would use penguin avatars. Usual B12 fad. Then things got out of hand. By the end, the thread had jumped around every single board, culminating in the invasion of Announcements. People were impersonating ToadyOne and ThreeToe. There were even plans to spread the penguins to other forums. Toady eventually banned a lot of people, locked name-changing (you have to ask him instead, nowadays) and nuked Various Nonsense, remaking it into the lower boards of today.

My memory of this is pretty vague. I don't even remember if this was on the old forum software or the new one. This has always been my name on this forum, though, so that wasn't how it started.

I had no avatar at that point (or maybe just a lame penguin photo from google images) and for some reason in some thread, inaluct made me my penguin avatar (he's been banned since then). Some other people thought it was cool and asked for them, some people made their own. Then the penguin party thread appeared for them.

Understand, this was in the update gap before DF2012 and there wasn't a DF-independent community like there is now in the lower boards. So as people got more and more bored between releases, the tone of Various Nonsense got sillier and people started doing more ridiculous things. The penguin thread fit right in.

At some point people decided to elect either a VN government or a penguin government. I forget which. It might have been in the penguin thread, but it might have been separate. I know that's how I got my Minister of Love title. Of course, governments breed nationalism and we soon got greedy for territory. Eventually the penguin party turned into something like a penguin juggernaut.

That's when the attack on Other Games happened. I think a couple threads appeared in DF general discussion and/or the Armok 1 forum as well. I don't think we actually made it much further up than that. My memory of it is that Toady shut it down pretty damn quickly.
Looks like I was wrong on some of this stuff then. I'm pretty sure the attack on Announcements was mentioned in the second thread though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 19, 2014, 03:26:30 pm »

Who is Dariush, oh-so great Deathsword?
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 19, 2014, 03:51:42 pm »

O mighty being of wisdom, enlighten us with knowledge on Necro's demise!

Bring light to the darkness of ignorance!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 19, 2014, 03:58:43 pm »

O mighty being of wisdom, enlighten us with knowledge on Necro's demise!

Bring light to the darkness of ignorance!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 19, 2014, 04:01:07 pm »

*Wide eyed children gather around Deathsword's chair*

:P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 19, 2014, 04:05:35 pm »

Oh hey guys, check out the post count! It's over 400!
if and when this reaches 400 replies, I think I'm going to come up with some kind of silly spell somehow more powerful than summoning me to cast here that doesn't involve explosions

* Tawarochir dares to cast a spell!

Dark Matter/Magus' Tawarochir's Strongest Spell

290 damage to grisha5!

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 19, 2014, 04:12:39 pm »

Looks like I was wrong on some of this stuff then. I'm pretty sure the attack on Announcements was mentioned in the second thread though.

Maybe? I've definitely forgotten some stuff from then.

Hard evidence would be best. I know a few people downloaded copies of VN before it was deleted. I don't know if any of those are still around.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 19, 2014, 04:20:25 pm »

So how far before my time here was VN then, because as far as I know the penguin fad was pretty recent when I arrived.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 19, 2014, 04:23:21 pm »

On this very board there once was a thread about them ponies, and it went well. It gaine megathread status, stanidng tall with the likes of the now-buried MSPA megathread. It was graced by faces many, including the infamous Necro910. Fanfics and opinions were shared freely, and it went well. Slash fics were shared, and it went well. Then rapefics were shared and the Toad did recoil in horror, handed out warning and nuked the thread. So was pony discussion banned, save for the modding forum.

I should add that was not the reason Necro was banned.

To add some detail, there were actually three pony threads that existed, and an accompanying three strikes you're out. The first thread was locked for reasons I forget, the second fell due to someone accidentally linking to a site that turned out to have inappropriate pictures hidden in it (ironically this incident had nothing to do with ponies), and the third was not due to sharing of rape fics, but a discussion of fanfic tagging systems which resulted in the existence of rape fics being heavily discussed. Shortly afterwards a separate forum was made by brony bay12ver's to hang out in, but it eventually died out.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 19, 2014, 04:48:21 pm »

Deathsword, I’m pretty sure the Toady One impersonation was unrelated to the penguin thing. It was an April Fool’s joke.

I know because I was the one that did it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 19, 2014, 04:56:13 pm »

Deathsword, I’m pretty sure the Toady One impersonation was unrelated to the penguin thing. It was an April Fool’s joke.

I know because I was the one that did it.
Huh. Well, I guess I should go and correct that. I guess it did contribute to the nuking of VN.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2014, 04:58:24 pm »

Ha, Fenrir on the old forums.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 19, 2014, 05:17:34 pm »

I guess it did contribute to the nuking of VN.
I don’t remember, but I hope I at least put it in Various Nonsense and not DF General Discussion. (or had VN been nuked at that point? I’m getting old.)

Ha, Fenrir on the old forums.
Ah, the good old days.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #403 on: August 19, 2014, 05:18:17 pm »

This is cool because I'm new here and don't know this history stuff. Please do continue.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nice Tawarochir look'n good.
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 19, 2014, 05:55:57 pm »

Forum history is fun.

Fun Fact: I was on the forums back when the infamous You At Final Boss was created. I hadn't been around for long, and I had never really looked at the lower boards before. As a result, I was slightly intimidated and wasn't sure what I was reading when I read the young YAFB for the first time. It was the reason I waited to insert myself into the Lower Boards, heh.

Ironically, my Lower Boards debut was in the Bay 12 Space Program, a derail of equal insanity.

... And sheesh, this all happened over 2 years ago? Time flies when you're posting.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 55