Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55

Author Topic: grisha5  (Read 117464 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: grisha5
« Reply #375 on: August 19, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »

glyph5

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 19, 2014, 01:29:35 pm »

I think you guys underestimate Bay12's affinity for inside jokes.

The penguin avatar thing came back after years.
I think "forget" was the wrong word. It's more like not caring about it nearly as much. The 'Scans are far from forgotten, they're just largely ignored. We don't still go about celebrating Cacame; we remember it's a thing that happened, chuckle a little at the silly elf playing dwarvern badass, the move on. We don't constantly bring up Boatmurdered. Though it's still around, It Was Inevitable and It Was Terrifying has largely died. I suspect the same will happen to grisha5. It might not be forgotten, and it might even still be a well-known thing here in the lower boards for a considerable amount of time. But alas, my fellow grisha5ers, I fear that it's glory days have long since gone, and shall not return.
You underestimate it, as penguinofhonor mentioned. The second penguin apocalypse almost got out of hand. I still have my penguin avatar stored. the third penguin apocalypse cometh!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 19, 2014, 01:43:55 pm »

What is this "penguin apocalypse" of which you speak?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 19, 2014, 01:59:22 pm »

You haven't seen the penguin avatars?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 19, 2014, 02:02:57 pm »

What is this "penguin apocalypse" of which you speak?
I can't say much about the first one since I wasn't there (I think I joined the forums not long after), but I'll summarize what I know about it.

A long time ago, there was no lower boards. People could also change their names at will during that time. If I recall correctly, penguinofhonor once mentioned that his current name was not his original one. There was only one board, where everything went, Various Nonsense. In that board, there was a thread. I have no knowledge of how the thread started, but it eventually became a thread where people would use penguin avatars. Usual B12 fad. Then things got out of hand. By the end, the thread had jumped around every single board, culminating in the invasion of Announcements. People were impersonating ToadyOne and ThreeToe. There were even plans to spread the penguins to other forums. Toady eventually banned a lot of people, locked name-changing (you have to ask him instead, nowadays) and nuked Various Nonsense, remaking it into the lower boards of today.

In 2012, a thread appeared. It was about what mental images did you have of other forum members. People mentioned how they saw others as their avatars, and eventually the penguin fad was revived. Once more it started to get out of hand, especially when some bronies appeared and started taunting (in fun, of course, but some people can't seem to handle that) the penguins. The thread was eventually locked, once talk of invading other boards finally appeared. It had nothing to do, however, with the ban on pony discussions, that was something else.

And that, kids, is how it happened. Now get off my lawn.

EDIT: Finally remembered it was called Various Nonsense
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:09:10 pm by Deathsword »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #380 on: August 19, 2014, 02:05:36 pm »

How is it that Deathsword can write an essay in the time it takes me to hunt down the link? I thought i was doing well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 19, 2014, 02:06:17 pm »

What the fuck happened here?
Just your average week in Bay12, my man.
Rather Like Soundgarden, I've been away for too long.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 19, 2014, 02:07:11 pm »

How is it that Deathsword can write an essay in the time it takes me to hunt down the link? I thought i was doing well.
An essay on a grimy, shitty keyboard at work while using a dinossaur of a computer, thank you very much.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 19, 2014, 02:09:52 pm »

-snip-
Oh. Finally, a whole story.

Thanks.

Also, if and when this reaches 400 replies, I think I'm going to come up with some kind of silly spell somehow more powerful than summoning me to cast here that doesn't involve explosions, because until I make some kind of ridiculous forum game, this is the last time I get to cast my silly spells without derailing a thread. Because this thread is already made of derail.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:00 pm »

So wait.
Most people think I look like Kirby.

That is disturbing and awesome at the same time.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:10 pm »

* Deathsword waits for people to ask him why pony discussions are banned, who is Dariush and why should you care and other mystical secrets of the forums

I think I should create a folder in my desktop with various essays on B12 history, just so I can drop them in threads.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 19, 2014, 02:17:34 pm »

Whyever is there a ban on pony threads, oh wise and powerful Deathsword?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 19, 2014, 02:19:06 pm »

* Deathsword waits for people to ask him why pony discussions are banned, who is Dariush and why should you care and other mystical secrets of the forums
* Tawarochir dost ask

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 19, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »

On this very board there once was a thread about them ponies, and it went well. It gaine megathread status, stanidng tall with the likes of the now-buried MSPA megathread. It was graced by faces many, including the infamous Necro910. Fanfics and opinions were shared freely, and it went well. Slash fics were shared, and it went well. Then rapefics were shared and the Toad did recoil in horror, handed out warning and nuked the thread. So was pony discussion banned, save for the modding forum.

I should add that was not the reason Necro was banned.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 19, 2014, 03:04:50 pm »

Toady only banned ponies permanently after the second or third pony thread descended into terribleness.

A long time ago, there was no lower boards. People could also change their names at will during that time. If I recall correctly, penguinofhonor once mentioned that his current name was not his original one. There was only one board, where everything went, Various Nonsense. In that board, there was a thread. I have no knowledge of how the thread started, but it eventually became a thread where people would use penguin avatars. Usual B12 fad. Then things got out of hand. By the end, the thread had jumped around every single board, culminating in the invasion of Announcements. People were impersonating ToadyOne and ThreeToe. There were even plans to spread the penguins to other forums. Toady eventually banned a lot of people, locked name-changing (you have to ask him instead, nowadays) and nuked Various Nonsense, remaking it into the lower boards of today.

My memory of this is pretty vague. I don't even remember if this was on the old forum software or the new one. This has always been my name on this forum, though, so that wasn't how it started.

I had no avatar at that point (or maybe just a lame penguin photo from google images) and for some reason in some thread, inaluct made me my penguin avatar (he's been banned since then). Some other people thought it was cool and asked for them, some people made their own. Then the penguin party thread appeared for them.

Understand, this was in the update gap before DF2012 and there wasn't a DF-independent community like there is now in the lower boards. So as people got more and more bored between releases, the tone of Various Nonsense got sillier and people started doing more ridiculous things. The penguin thread fit right in.

At some point people decided to elect either a VN government or a penguin government. I forget which. It might have been in the penguin thread, but it might have been separate. I know that's how I got my Minister of Love title. Of course, governments breed nationalism and we soon got greedy for territory. Eventually the penguin party turned into something like a penguin juggernaut.

That's when the attack on Other Games happened. I think a couple threads appeared in DF general discussion and/or the Armok 1 forum as well. I don't think we actually made it much further up than that. My memory of it is that Toady shut it down pretty damn quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55