Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to be an archer at adventure mode?  (Read 4804 times)

DanielTDS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to be an archer at adventure mode?
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:13:59 am »

I'm very new at adventure mode (tried like 3 times with melee weapons) but I really wanted to try an archer this time. The problem is: in my past adventures, finding bolts or arrows was something rare and, because of that, I begin to question if it is really a viable option to be an archer at adventure mode. Here are my questions:
1 - Are there specific places where I can get a lot of ammunition?
2-  Can I craft ranged ammunition?
3 - Is there any mod that I can use to make being and archer viable?

OBS: I've played only 0.34.11's version. I'm waiting for a lot of bugfixes in order to play 0.40.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to be an archer at adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:32:15 am »

People will probably say don't and stick to throwing because archery has this wierd timelapse in it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:22:08 pm »

A possible method is to run a fortress and focus it on producing ammo that you'll set in easy to access stockpile.
Then retire your fortress (don't abandon it) and go play an archer in Adventure mode, go take (or you can roleplay trading) the ammo in your fortress stockpile
In case you survive long enough and run out of ammo, assuming your fortress is still alive (and have not been razed by an invasion) , retire for a time your adventurer in a site, unretire your fortress and manufacture more ammo
Then retire it and unretire your adventurer.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 12:29:01 pm »

Bolts/arrows found in mead halls (the new keep in most hamlets). Plentiful in bundles of 25. Enemy archers also carry bundles of 30+. Also since missile never kill outright, mostly, very easy to level skill by repeat shooting of enemy.

However, bow in 0.40 no longer devastating railgun of 34.11. In 34.11, when you first start and are beset by wolf pack, if fast enough, you who have started with no shield, but very good bow skill, can bring down pack before they surround you. If they far and if you fast. Now in .40 this not happen unless you mod raws to make bow railgun again.

Thing between throwing and bow is flavor. Forget optimization. People want optimal also people who powerlevel always and not normally play naturally. Both good. Each like its own, yes. So really just a flavor choice.

DanielTDS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:22:33 pm »

A possible method is to run a fortress and focus it on producing ammo that you'll set in easy to access stockpile.
Then retire your fortress (don't abandon it) and go play an archer in Adventure mode, go take (or you can roleplay trading) the ammo in your fortress stockpile
In case you survive long enough and run out of ammo, assuming your fortress is still alive (and have not been razed by an invasion) , retire for a time your adventurer in a site, unretire your fortress and manufacture more ammo
Then retire it and unretire your adventurer.

That's a good method, very good indeed. But I assume there isn't any other efficient non fortress mode method, or there is?

Bolts/arrows found in mead halls (the new keep in most hamlets). Plentiful in bundles of 25. Enemy archers also carry bundles of 30+. Also since missile never kill outright, mostly, very easy to level skill by repeat shooting of enemy.

Do you refer to 0.40 or 0.34.11 when you sat that?

I  loved your ideas and I'm pretty sure to use them. But, I also like the idea of adventure crafting. There isn't any mod or way to craft bolts, right? (You butcher someone's corpse and you can craft bolts from the bones it left, for example)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:32:36 pm by DanielTDS »

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 02:10:29 pm »

.34.11 has less keeps and keeps are separate from hamlets.

.40.xx has keep/mead hall as part of *most* hamlets. Some keeps empty, but most will have much loot. When generating world = very high #sites or adv generation of world sites = 100K will provide plenty of hamlets.

Bundled amounts seem to be the same throughout versions. What you find in keeps is in 25s, enemies carry 30+s.

I do not use DF Hack which may let you craft in Adventure Mode 34.11. Someone here who uses DF Hack should have more complete answer.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:14:33 pm »

1. As mentioned, you can get ammo from mead-halls, towers in human cities, and from enemy archers or bandit camps. There may be some in dwarven forts, but I've never really taken a good look through all of the junk they have laying around near the trade depot. If you are playing version 34.11 then you will not be able to visit dwarven forts, forest retreats, or dark towers, as they did not physically exist in the game in that version.

2. Yes and no. You cannot craft your own in vanilla, other than the Fort Mode workaround mentioned earlier. Though you can mod in a reaction that allows you to craft your own.

3. For things you can do yourself, you could add the ability to craft your own arrows, and maybe add a new bow-type weapon that only you can use that is closer in power to the bows of the previous version.

For actual mods, there is the Wanderer's Friend. There are two versions that I know of, which are the original, which is quite old, and Deon's newer DF Wanderer, which also changes some other aspects of the game.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:00:27 pm »

Yes, but ammo have wierd weight. Even stack with ONE arrow have weight like full stack. Other thing... just get 2-4 arrow stacks and look at your speed... ;)
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

DanielTDS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:58:39 pm »

Thanks for your answers! It really helped me a lot with my questions (specially the mod, which I enjoyed the most).

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 07:39:10 pm »

However, bow in 0.40 no longer devastating railgun of 34.11. In 34.11,
Now it's a devastating traq gun.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:03:47 am »

Why're you playing old 34?

Pretty soon 40 will have had an equivalent amount of updates. Morale works correctly now and the major crashing and a lot of minor bugs are fixed.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.