Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unretire Wierdness  (Read 3218 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unretire Wierdness
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:59:20 pm »

Has anyone else noticed a few odd things when they unretire a fort?

Basically what I've seen are cabinets and chests become unbuilt, and nobles not recognizing their designated rooms as being theirs (until after you re-assign it to them).

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unretire Wierdness
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:28:14 pm »

I retired a fort while a caravan was there and a forgotten beast in the caverns. When I unretired it, I had the cabinets all be unbuilt in the bedrooms, a wagon in my dining room, all the caravan guards were now part of my fort, almost everyone was in their bedrooms asleep, and the forgotten beast was hanging out in one of the unoccupied bedrooms. Also, the merchants from the caravans started going berserk a few seconds after I unpaused. I just assumed they all had one hell of a party.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »

Just chillin around with the forgotten beast

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:22:03 pm »

Unretiring is broken in other ways too, at the moment. I unretired a fort and it made it impossible to farm anything, and it sounds like it happens to other people too. I'd hold off on unretiring forts until more bugs get fixed.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »

Sounds like another bug in the long list of bugs where the entire units list is considered a dwarf in your fort.  Kind of like vampires blaming ducks for murders, or the general being replaced by a yak, or possibly the bug where all new world births got tossed into the fort's unit list.  At least some of those are fixed.

You know, as amusing as some of these bugs are, I have to wonder why it keeps coming up.  I obviously have no idea how DF is coded, but it seems like it should be easy to code something for pruning the units list down to the current fort's dwarf residents.  I can at least see how retiring might make that complicated.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Thorzog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 01:55:08 am »

Bug? What do you think happens when you leave a fort to a dreaded Nobel? They love cabinets and want the entire fort's supply to be unbuilt and moved.

P.S. Vampires blaming ducks for their murders is hilarious. "No it wasn't me. It was.... um.... That evil duck! Burn it! Burn it with fire!."

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unretire Weirdness
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 03:42:48 am »

Once you know it's going to happen it's not all that terrible to do with before you unpause. Just a minute or two of rebuilding the cabinets/chests, which only move a tile or two. I hadn't noticed the not being able to farm thing, though. You also have to reassign minecarts to any routes you have, but that's not really huge.

I retired the fort to see if I could get the Goblin neighbors in the area to actually be considered neighbors, so I had made sure there were no FBs or merchants on the map, figuring there might be some odd things with them just like when you reclaim a ruined fort. I just hadn't heard anything about the cabinets or chests.

To be fair to the Vampires, if a Sturgeon can kill a Dwarf, I might not rule out the duck either. And as I've seen a Yak Bull gore a Troll to death without injury, they might not be so terrible as Generals.

Ninja Edit: Could the issue with being unable to farm after un-retiring have to do with there no longer being mud under the farms? Or does it happen in soil layers too?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:19:18 am by Repseki »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:12:22 am »

P.S. Vampires blaming ducks for their murders is hilarious. "No it wasn't me. It was.... um.... That evil duck! Burn it! Burn it with fire!."
http://youtu.be/ek0CDFIyM1M?t=2m46s
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unretire Weirdness
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 06:36:33 am »

I retired the fort to see if I could get the Goblin neighbors in the area to actually be considered neighbors, so I had made sure there were no FBs or merchants on the map, figuring there might be some odd things with them just like when you reclaim a ruined fort. I just hadn't heard anything about the cabinets or chests.

Did it work, did you get the Goblins as neighbors?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 06:44:15 am »

As far as I can tell, no it hasn't. I'm not 100% sure though, because my civ is at war with both goblin civs in my world. One of these has around 10k Goblins, while the other has 8.

The Dwarf Liaison also continues to report that the world stays the same, so I'm not sure if there are any armies marching around.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 02:32:51 pm »

Sounds like another bug in the long list of bugs where the entire units list is considered a dwarf in your fort.  Kind of like vampires blaming ducks for murders, or the general being replaced by a yak, or possibly the bug where all new world births got tossed into the fort's unit list.  At least some of those are fixed.

You know, as amusing as some of these bugs are, I have to wonder why it keeps coming up.  I obviously have no idea how DF is coded, but it seems like it should be easy to code something for pruning the units list down to the current fort's dwarf residents.  I can at least see how retiring might make that complicated.

Probably because Toady One misses a single detail or something. When you write code for vampires blaming victims, it's easy to forget a crucial snippet of validation. Good scapegoats have to be members of your fort *and* dwarves *and* nearby, and if you forget any one of these you won't find out until much later, when vampires blame a duck.
Similar with the yak general. Member of fort and around for a long time and long kill list -> general. Forgot to check he wasn't a yak.

I know for the projectile rounding bug, it was as simple as diving by 100 instead of ten for the fractional part of the bolt weights.