Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [MOD] Race and Ethnicities Mod  (Read 8920 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD] Race and Ethnicities Mod
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 02:21:11 pm »

Should a modder use the latest revision of the source code?

I would suggest doing that, yes. Revision 840 ought to compile on all the different platforms and it has more stuff in it to mod. And if you want it to be like older version that don't have SDL or music, just uncomment the "//#define DONT_INCLUDE_SDL" line in common.h and recompile it and it won't have any MIDI music or SDL dependencies.

And a modder can actually use other forms of music besides MIDI, if they add in the proper code using the Mix_Init() function to load support for Ogg/MP3/FLAC/MOD and then Mix_Quit() when the program exits to unload that support and clean up (as documented in SDL_mixer's API documentation). Mix_Init() should be called right after Mix_OpenAudio() near the beginning of the program, and Mix_Quit() should be called right before Mix_CloseAudio() near the end of the program. Then the lines of code that load files with the .mid extension can simply be changed to load Ogg, MP3, FLAC, or MOD files. And of course the necessary .DLL files need to be included, which are downloadable from the SDL_mixer 2.0 website. The file with the .DLL files in it for SDL_mixer 2.0 is http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL2_mixer-devel-2.0.0-VC.zip, and in that file they are in the lib/x86 directory.

Thanks.

I will try to recuper the source code on my main computer so that I way keep the date on which I downloaded it as the date of creation (April 7th or April 14th).

EDIT:

I see 26 persons have downloaded my mod; could I have feedback?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:49:53 am by Azerty »
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 03:53:31 pm »

I'm trying to figure out the code as you've written it. Unfortunately, my search function broke part way through it. Could you post a schematic of what the new race and ethnicity parts of a character do?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:05 am »

I'm trying to figure out the code as you've written it. Unfortunately, my search function broke part way through it. Could you post a schematic of what the new race and ethnicity parts of a character do?

• For now, and until the next release, the Race part of a character do nothing, except determinate which culture will be received
  • The Culture part determinates which first and last names will the character receives; this culture depends of the race (see the creaturenames.c file)

Note:
Race and culture are technically split, given the fact both are coded in separate enumerations.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 01:36:11 pm »

Could someone explain to me how function the management of conflicts with TortoiseSVN?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 03:42:05 pm »

Could someone point me to a tutorial for parsing .txt files, so that I might be able to better modify the name lists?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 10:47:37 am »

Wrong thread

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TortoiseMerge
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 09:25:42 am »

Hello!

Due to a misstep while merging the creature.cpp.mine and creature.cpp.r841 by pushing "Resolve" instead of fixing the differences, the modification due to my mod weren't carried to the final creature.cpp file.

Therefore, how could I manage to compare "mine" and "r841" and send the output to another file?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 01:00:28 pm »

Hello!

My update issue was fixed by hand-comparing the creature.cpp file along others and I'm now to building the exe.

The build was without any errors or warningd emitted by the compiler gcc but, when I execute, I get a segfault.

Below is the relevant section, tracked down with the help of gbd:

Code: [Select]

move(0,0);
   addstr("What is your name to the People?");
   set_color(COLOR_WHITE,COLOR_BLACK,0);
   move(1,0);
   addstr("Press enter to be known by your real name instead.");

enter_name(2,0,newcr->name,CREATURE_NAMELEN,newcr->propername);

pool.push_back(newcr);

make_world(hasmaps);

EDIT: The segfault occurs after I validate the alias to give to the founder and, after testing, both newcr->name and newcr->propername contains values, this is to say, respectively "Scruffy" and the founder's formal name.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:14:33 am by Azerty »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 02:28:18 pm »

The reason why this mod didn't receive much updates was the fact I was occuped with an heavy dose of schoolwork.

From now, I'm trying to update my mode to r858 and I'm blocked by a segmentation fault in the src/title/newgame.cpp file, when the player is asked with an alias for the Founder, before adding any stuff.

dhthwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 12:50:16 pm »

You should post a stack trace, should be 'bt' in gdb, if you want assistance from other coders, a bt is one of the most important things.

I find the race issues brought up in this thread rather amusing, for a game that is by design, can be considered quite offensive to many people. It is ironic you guys are fine with terms like 'redneck' and whichever other derogatory terms the game uses, but have issues when someone adds in races. The game is clearly not meant to be taken seriously or for people that are easily offended. I enjoyed my time playing it, but if the maintainers are getting panties in wads over race addition, then I fear this game will lose its spirit.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 04:26:02 am »

Redneck is a slur that specifically targets a subculture of white people. White people aren't the victims of institutionalized oppression. That's why I don't have a problem with it.

EDIT: Also, this has never ever come up, but if someone had a problem with being called a redneck, I wouldn't call them that. I suspect if it ever was a problem it would be an issue of class, not race, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:29:43 am by FinetalPies »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 04:07:54 pm »

You should post a stack trace, should be 'bt' in gdb, if you want assistance from other coders, a bt is one of the most important things.

Each time I try to build my project in "Debug" mode in Code::Blocks, an error brought by ld.exe happens.

And, when I run gdb on my exe the program seems to block when in the "Field Learning" mode selection.

EDIT: (1/8) This is the error:

Code: [Select]
cc1plus.exe: error: argument to '-O' should be a non-negative integer
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:18:00 pm by Azerty »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2015, 01:51:43 pm »

I would like to know how to redirect to another cmd console the I/O of an application I want to debug with gdb.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 12:35:23 pm »

Due to the amount of schoolwork along with issues with my laptop which resulted in the reinstall of the system, any work on this mod will not happens before summer.
Pages: 1 2 [3]