Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [MOD] Race and Ethnicities Mod  (Read 8906 times)

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD] Race and Ethnicities Mod
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 05:52:31 pm »

Naw I'm definitely against that.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 06:22:17 pm »

It doesn't make much sense to have one pole for the issue but not the other.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 06:35:20 pm »

Having professions flooded with less skilled workers is exactly the kind of thing that a conservative would be afraid of happening.

In the real world 'reverse discrimination' is a way for people to pretend that institutional and systematic oppression is just as bad as not liking white people. And fighting against reverse discrimination is used a nice way of saying fighting to keep the status quo of current oppressive systems.

Hell the concept of 'reverse discrimination' on its own is already discriminatory. Since what kind of discriminatory you are depends on what race you are.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 11:07:23 am »

What is the best compression format to share my mods?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 08:04:19 pm »

.zip I would say.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question entirely.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 04:20:55 am »

.zip I would say.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question entirely.

Thanks you for the advice!

The changes from .rar to .zip will be made soon.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 01:45:05 am »

Should I replace the .rar by a .zip?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »

Yes, please! :)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 05:44:19 pm »

Yes, please! :)

Done.

Unfortunately, the computer I works habitually on has problems, so I fear any updates will be delayed.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 06:39:11 pm »

Canine-American. Yes. I want this

Also Liberal Elitist didn't you say once that your dad was a mad scientist complete with wandering into the forest to eat weird plants and document their effects? Also gosh, you sure know some interesting people. Though I have to agree with Reagan that stripping people of their freedom is immoral and should be reserved for only the time where you can absolutely prove that they are a danger to society. Also, I believe in witchcraft, but Satan is a Christian figure and that directly opposes what witchcraft is aboot so that confuses me.

You have quite good memory. Yes, my father is exactly like that, and I know a bunch of strange people. He really does do that. I guess maybe the reason there are so many strange people around me is, I'm in sort of an economically depressed part of the country in upstate New York and all the NORMAL people left here a long time ago... this area was having a long-term economic depression locally even during the 90s economic boom. So the town I live, Binghamton, in is kinda full of odd and strange people. And since I'm a little bit weird myself (inheriting this from my somewhat weird parents), this makes me kinda a magnet for other weird people, while people who are a bit more normal aren't as likely to befriend me. I guess us weird people tend to associate with our own kind... regardless of what physical race we most closely resemble.

If you ever saw an episode of the Big Bang Theory TV show where Sheldon was experimenting to see how much ground-up moth he could put into some food and have Leonard still eat it without noticing it was "mothy"... well then you know what my dad is like... kinda. Except my dad isn't quite as weird as that Sheldon character. My dad might be a mad scientist but he's only slightly mad... he fits in very well with ordinary physicists and physics professors. They tend to all be slightly eccentric... if you ever look at a physics teacher catalog to see the kind of stuff they're interested in you'll see what I mean, physics teachers have quite a childish side and a lot of stuff in physics teacher catalogues is toys. As one example you can look at this physics teacher catalog: https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/category.jsp?id=PM10354946. It has some funny stuff in it and some toys, although the physics teacher catalog my dad gets in the mail every month has much more interesting stuff in it than that one.

Oh and as for the young woman I know who thinks her dad is Satan but also believes in witchcraft... well she isn't Wiccan or anything, she's a lapsed Catholic who was brought up by abusive step-parents and mostly the stuff she does with witchcraft is ouiji boards to hold seances and talk to the dead and other spirits. She does believe her dad was probably Satan since her birth number at the hospital was 666 and nobody really knows who her biological father is anyway. But she isn't really a Wiccan or neo-pagan type, she's more like a Satanist... not the LaVeyan Satanist kind, I'm talking about people who actually believe in the Judeo-Christian Satan and choose to follow him instead of the Judeo-Christian God (LaVeyan Satanists don't believe in Satan, he is just a metaphor they use, mostly for shock value). I wouldn't consider her a full-fledged Satanist though, she just thinks she was born as the spawn of Satan and that there's nothing she can do about it. As for why nobody knows who her biological father is... well that's what happens when your biological mother was promiscuous and had many partners and didn't keep track of them very well... I'm trying to avoid slut-shaming here, slut-shaming is sexist. She also had rather an abusive upbringing after her mother got married to a step-father who was more than a little violent towards everyone else in the family, and they moved around often, from one state to another, around the country. Traumatic childhood experiences often lead to mental illness, as has been well-documented.

... and back from my reply to FinetalPies to the topic everyone else is discussing now ...

As for the question that was raised about compression formats I would suggest the standard .ZIP container format using standard Deflate encoding. Also I'd suggest using FileOptimizer (currently at version 6.80) to get the file size of your .ZIP files optimized as small as possible.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 09:14:34 am »

Canine-American. Yes. I want this

Also Liberal Elitist didn't you say once that your dad was a mad scientist complete with wandering into the forest to eat weird plants and document their effects? Also gosh, you sure know some interesting people. Though I have to agree with Reagan that stripping people of their freedom is immoral and should be reserved for only the time where you can absolutely prove that they are a danger to society. Also, I believe in witchcraft, but Satan is a Christian figure and that directly opposes what witchcraft is aboot so that confuses me.

You have quite good memory. Yes, my father is exactly like that, and I know a bunch of strange people. He really does do that. I guess maybe the reason there are so many strange people around me is, I'm in sort of an economically depressed part of the country in upstate New York and all the NORMAL people left here a long time ago... this area was having a long-term economic depression locally even during the 90s economic boom. So the town I live, Binghamton, in is kinda full of odd and strange people. And since I'm a little bit weird myself (inheriting this from my somewhat weird parents), this makes me kinda a magnet for other weird people, while people who are a bit more normal aren't as likely to befriend me. I guess us weird people tend to associate with our own kind... regardless of what physical race we most closely resemble.

If you ever saw an episode of the Big Bang Theory TV show where Sheldon was experimenting to see how much ground-up moth he could put into some food and have Leonard still eat it without noticing it was "mothy"... well then you know what my dad is like... kinda. Except my dad isn't quite as weird as that Sheldon character. My dad might be a mad scientist but he's only slightly mad... he fits in very well with ordinary physicists and physics professors. They tend to all be slightly eccentric... if you ever look at a physics teacher catalog to see the kind of stuff they're interested in you'll see what I mean, physics teachers have quite a childish side and a lot of stuff in physics teacher catalogues is toys. As one example you can look at this physics teacher catalog: https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/category.jsp?id=PM10354946. It has some funny stuff in it and some toys, although the physics teacher catalog my dad gets in the mail every month has much more interesting stuff in it than that one.

Oh and as for the young woman I know who thinks her dad is Satan but also believes in witchcraft... well she isn't Wiccan or anything, she's a lapsed Catholic who was brought up by abusive step-parents and mostly the stuff she does with witchcraft is ouiji boards to hold seances and talk to the dead and other spirits. She does believe her dad was probably Satan since her birth number at the hospital was 666 and nobody really knows who her biological father is anyway. But she isn't really a Wiccan or neo-pagan type, she's more like a Satanist... not the LaVeyan Satanist kind, I'm talking about people who actually believe in the Judeo-Christian Satan and choose to follow him instead of the Judeo-Christian God (LaVeyan Satanists don't believe in Satan, he is just a metaphor they use, mostly for shock value). I wouldn't consider her a full-fledged Satanist though, she just thinks she was born as the spawn of Satan and that there's nothing she can do about it. As for why nobody knows who her biological father is... well that's what happens when your biological mother was promiscuous and had many partners and didn't keep track of them very well... I'm trying to avoid slut-shaming here, slut-shaming is sexist. She also had rather an abusive upbringing after her mother got married to a step-father who was more than a little violent towards everyone else in the family, and they moved around often, from one state to another, around the country. Traumatic childhood experiences often lead to mental illness, as has been well-documented.

Very interesting people!

... and back from my reply to FinetalPies to the topic everyone else is discussing now ...

As for the question that was raised about compression formats I would suggest the standard .ZIP container format using standard Deflate encoding. Also I'd suggest using FileOptimizer (currently at version 6.80) to get the file size of your .ZIP files optimized as small as possible.

The change from RAR to ZIP has been done, and I hope people such as SlatersQuest download it.
FileOptimizer will maybe be used in the future releases of my future projects.

Apropos, what are the differences between RAR and ZIP?

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 07:50:42 pm »

Different compression formats.  zip is natively supported in most new versions of Windows, whilst rar, gz, and 7z all need a third-party program to handle them.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 01:16:45 am »

I like it when I have the time to read your long rants, Liberal Elitist.

Also the third party programs that handle rar and 7z can also handle .zips which is why I recommended it.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 12:55:42 pm »

Should a modder use the latest revision of the source code?

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 12:29:18 pm »

Should a modder use the latest revision of the source code?

I would suggest doing that, yes. Revision 840 ought to compile on all the different platforms and it has more stuff in it to mod. And if you want it to be like older version that don't have SDL or music, just uncomment the "//#define DONT_INCLUDE_SDL" line in common.h and recompile it and it won't have any MIDI music or SDL dependencies.

And a modder can actually use other forms of music besides MIDI, if they add in the proper code using the Mix_Init() function to load support for Ogg/MP3/FLAC/MOD and then Mix_Quit() when the program exits to unload that support and clean up (as documented in SDL_mixer's API documentation). Mix_Init() should be called right after Mix_OpenAudio() near the beginning of the program, and Mix_Quit() should be called right before Mix_CloseAudio() near the end of the program. Then the lines of code that load files with the .mid extension can simply be changed to load Ogg, MP3, FLAC, or MOD files. And of course the necessary .DLL files need to be included, which are downloadable from the SDL_mixer 2.0 website. The file with the .DLL files in it for SDL_mixer 2.0 is http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL2_mixer-devel-2.0.0-VC.zip, and in that file they are in the lib/x86 directory.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL
Pages: 1 [2] 3