Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 127112 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 12:21:44 am »

Exactly. The US is huge, relatively accepting of violence for a western nation, has a variety of terrain that would be hellish to navigate under warlike conditions (every mountain, swamp, deep forest, and canyon), is chalk full of guns, is chalk full of people who can make guns and ammo with junk in their garage, is full of vehicles, has plenty of people who would not even consider peaceable relations towards each other if not for that being the societal norm (and certainly wouldn't accept the ones they disagree with having statelike power over them). As long as the rule of law holds and we remain united, yes, the US is stable. However, if you reach the point where a war actually breaks America, doesn't cause a change of government or anything like that but truly severs the social institutions that people live off of, then the result would be a nearly unparalleled nightmare.

I mean, look at the rift the Civil War left. It still hasn't healed, and that was only two factions fighting for a few years with far inferior weapons technology over a century ago. The cycle of violence would have rpm.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 12:36:53 am »

When you put it that way, it makes a lot more sense that such huge effort is expended toward encouraging patriotism and crushing calls for change to the system (looking at OWS and the various reactionary groups that tend to burn brightly for a little while, then disappear.)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 01:15:39 am »

Well, as far es EU invading USA goes, in Hearts of Iron 2, as united Europe (well, united under German rule, but whatever), there was one relatively sensible way - take the Caribbean and go up from there. That said, without prior nuclear bombardment of all major cities AND huge, huge occupying force, I just don't see the occupation happen...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 01:27:56 am »

The other option would be to hope for a friendly Canada, and attack from there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 03:31:36 am »

Simply give the order to attack
There's only over 65,000 Murrican troops in Europe, not nearly enough. Even in Germany they'd be outnumbered nearly 9 to 1, and that's where a third of them are stationed.

How would an allied European force go about launching an invasion of the U.S.?
Invade from the Bermuda Islands, French Guiana and pray and hope that Obama causes half of America to join the invaders.

I could make some rules of this if you guys wanna forum wargame this.  I'm thinking 5 players, one US, four Euro, thus capturing the fractured problem Europe faces.
Funny you mention that, I thought 5 Euros was the number too :P
North sea Islands +Scandi peninsula, Iberian & French Peninsula (w/ Netherlands and Belgium), central Europe, Mediterranean Europe and Eastern Europe vs USA. Could maybe divide the American team into various generals so if one disappears for any reason command of the American invasion doesn't immediately fall apart.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 03:48:59 am »

Cut all American forces by two thirds. Those need to stay at home to prevent South America moving in.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 03:54:25 am »

Cut all American forces by two thirds. Those need to stay at home to prevent South America moving in.
Some of the South America militaries are nice nice and well but how would they even get to the USA?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 04:29:58 am »

Some of the South America militaries are nice nice and well but how would they even get to the USA?

I would start with an army of bulldozers, and fill in a few miles of Panama canal.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 04:32:33 am »

You think South America will commit economic suicide just to attack the US?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 04:35:30 am »

China could still reach their west coast just fine.  :D

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 04:36:24 am »

That's an advantage I should add to the Europeans, the American's bad geography :P
There are a lot of mountains in Europe, really only the southern English, northern French, Belgium, Dutch and northern German countryside are that flat.
Right, exactly - their entire economic core is on conveniently landable gently sloping beaches facing the US.

Not exactly a lot of big factories in the alps, last I checked.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 04:38:08 am »

Simply give the order to attack
There's only over 65,000 Murrican troops in Europe, not nearly enough. Even in Germany they'd be outnumbered nearly 9 to 1, and that's where a third of them are stationed.

Few of those are infantry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Forces_in_Europe

A US first strike would be able to do devastating amounts of damage. It is, for example, 72 miles from Fairford to London. That's 8 minutes for B-2 bomber at nominal cruising speed.

And when you do get around to trying to repel them, remember that you're defend against...not an outside invading force, but rather an enemy that is heavily entrenched with roughly 100 established, fortified military installations inside your countr(ies). Many of which are over 60 years old, and supplied with years worth of food and fuel. Worse, many of those installations are used by militaries from both sides.

For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Royal_Air_Force_stations

"Royal Airforce" as in British military. From that link:

RAF Stations occupied by the United States Air Force
 * RAF Alconbury   Cambridgeshire   Occupied by the United States Air Force as an accommodation unit for personnel at RAF Molesworth.
 * RAF Barford St John   Oxfordshire   Occupied by the United States Air Force as a communications station.
 * RAF Croughton   Northamptonshire   Occupied by the United States Air Force as a communications station.
 * RAF Fairford   Gloucestershire   Occupied by the United States Air Force.
 * RAF Feltwell   Norfolk   United States Air Force support use.
 * RAF Lakenheath   Suffolk   Occupied by the United States Air Force.
 * RAF Menwith Hill   North Yorkshire   joint UK/US intelligence and communication site.
 * RAF Mildenhall   Suffolk   Occupied by the United States Air Force.
 * RAF Molesworth   Cambridgeshire   Occupied by the United States Air Force.
 * RAF Welford   Berkshire   Occupied by the United States Air Force.

The enemy already occupies a large potion of your own military bases inside your own country. Do you bomb your own installations? Meanwhile, as you deal with the enemy within, your opponent himself is ~3600 miles away across an ocean. And no doubt bringing in reinforcements while you deal with the internal situation. A US fleet approaches from the west. Do you engage to attempt to stop them from landing, or do you deal with the 100-some bases that have already "landed?"

Tactically, logistically...the US has a crazy huge advantage out the gate.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 04:39:14 am »

posting to watch
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 04:42:29 am »

Right, exactly - their entire economic core is on conveniently landable gently sloping beaches facing the US.

Indeed, we poor Dutch would be so screwed. Major port at Rotterdam, major NATO airfield at Eindhoven, within 2 hours driving from a nice sandy beach.
They'd have to attack in winter though, cause when it's nice weather, our coastline is protected by hordes of Germans dug in at the coast. Fear their mighty sandcastles!  ;D

We would have quite a few nukes though, following the thread assumption that we confiscated those. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkel_Air_Base
It's pretty funny. Dutch government always kept denying the base held nukes, until very recently a former prime minister had a slip of tongue in an interview.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:53:20 am by martinuzz »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 05:05:01 am »

The way the balance of forces stands, the only sensible way the conflict would unfold to me is the EU turtling up, forcing the US to expend huge numbers of men and materiel (all of which are at the end of a pretty long supply line compared to the EU forces, fighting on home turf) for every metre of territory, falling back to any number of natural defensible lines along any number of rivers or mountain ranges, regardless of if the US landed in Spain, France, the Med or further North, looking to forcing the US to fight from carrier groups and whatever territory it can somehow hold - I could see the UK being a focus for any US effort in that regard. Let us not forget that it took the largest military operation ever that was years in the planning in the shape of D-Day for the combined might of the Allies to begin to displace the outnumbered, out-gunned Germans who were pretty much fighting on their own when the Allied forces already had clear air and naval superiority and their enemy was fighting a losing battle on a number of other major fronts, and it took months to push the Germans slowly and steadily back. I could not see the US being able to fight any kind of successful campaign of this magnitude on its own against an enemy who could fight from a position of overall near-parity. Also, look at how much of a cluster fuck the occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq were? Could you honestly see a US occupation of the UK being anything other than a horrible fucking bloodbath? As for the EU invading the US.... nah, the logistical nightmare of different nation states, different equipment, languages, combat protocols and so on make that an impossibility when stacked up against the geography of the US and its unity, unless somehow we got Russia, Canada and Mexico on side, or maybe China (not that China would touch such a conflict with a ten foot automatic electrified touching pole).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:07:35 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 82