Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 128754 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2014, 01:56:59 am »

what is the purpose of nuclear weaponry other than destroying life

and no, threatening to destroy life does not count

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2014, 02:05:10 am »

End life? You guys overestimate the power of nukes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 22, 2014, 02:07:57 am »

End life? You guys overestimate the power of nukes.
Well, that's the popular perception of nuclear warfare, just like the popular perception of the aftermath of a nuclear plant failure being your friendly neighborhood nuclear desert.
'Becoming the next Hitler' would probably be more appropriate in that context.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 22, 2014, 02:08:26 am »

on an "as we know it" basis, it can be destroyed, yes

basically forcing another ice age + loads of radiation would smack up the ecosystem quite badly, though it wouldn't make the earth all that inhabitable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 22, 2014, 02:15:02 am »

Jeez, most of the planet wouldn't even notice it. You know we already detonated about 2500 nukes since 1945. Granted a large number (probably a majority) were detonated underground, but still.

Russia got a large amount of tactical nukes for starter. And the minute they look like they're going to loose, I would expect them to shoot "nuclear warning shots" to force a peace on their terms. A small nukes in Brussels city center would only kills a few tens of thousands of people at most, a drop in the bucket if we're having a Russia-Europe war.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 22, 2014, 02:37:35 am »

Lets be honest. Open war is as likely as it was during coldwar

But little green man can work both ways. Weird armed groups may appear in Central Asia, or in Belarus. Then in Russia itself

I said it before and I am gonna repeat it again. If Kaliningrad oblast will get an offer to become Germany with all residents becoming German citizens
Same apply for Sakhalin and Japan. Karelia and Finland.

Russians enjoy doublethinking. They are proud of Russia and huge patriots... but given a chance to become a citizen of more prosperous country they will not reject it ever.

Then we have North Caucasus, Tatarstan, Bashkiria and many that may enjoy some support for independence movements

That war will be a hybrid war, while West gonna need to learn to practice that kind of war, they have more resources to wage it. That if China will remain neutral (It will not,  China needs Siberian territories)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2014, 03:50:13 am »

basically forcing another ice age
Not really. Nuclear winter is not another ice age, it's a rerun of this event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

+ loads of radiation would smack up the ecosystem quite badly, though it wouldn't make the earth all that inhabitable
2500 Test nukes have already been detonated. I don't think we have that many anymore. While, obviously, most tests were underground, that is offset by the fact that modern nukes create less fallout.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2014, 04:11:48 am »

+ loads of radiation would smack up the ecosystem quite badly, though it wouldn't make the earth all that inhabitable
2500 Test nukes have already been detonated. I don't think we have that many anymore. While, obviously, most tests were underground, that is offset by the fact that modern nukes create less fallout.

Well, USA have about 7500 nukes, Russia has about 8000, and there is a 1000 or more among other countries. So yeah, we  have that many and many more in fact. Not that it would destroy ecosystem on any major scale, but it might happen with mass chemical/biological weapon activation.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2014, 04:58:33 am »

The nuclear winter is not created just by random nuclear explosions, it is a specific effect which occurs when you strike modern cities with nuclear weapons; bitumen particles from the massive road networks go up and then they stay up there blocking the sunlight.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2014, 05:01:36 am »

Still, it would just be a really cold year or 2 (with massive failing harvests), not a new ice age.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2014, 08:19:45 am »

http://rt.com/politics/189604-russia-nuclear-2020-mistral/

Nuclear winter 2.0 now with better nukes. Russia will need to attack soon or face bankrupcy, though. There is no way that they renew their nuclear arsenal and modernize their army while under sanctions.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2014, 08:46:40 am »

I do love how the first comment is "thanks Obama"
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:29 am »

I do love how the first comment is "thanks Obama"

my fucking ice cream melted gee thanks obama

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2014, 08:55:44 am »

"The formation of the technical basis for strategic nuclear forces is going at a faster rate, and in fact, we will renew not 70 percent of the SNF, but 100 percent," Rogozin told Rossiya TV channel.

Translation: not 70% of our current nuclear arsenal is a rusty scrap, but all 100%
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2014, 09:09:54 am »

To be fair, the US isn't that much better off. Not tech wise tho, the US has rather horrible (or has had, not sure if they'd fixed them) human elements in the system.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 82