Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 128366 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 05:32:56 am »

Thread doesnt really fully make sense without objectives. You can't just be abstractly "at war." What for? You need to know because what is winning?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 05:33:48 am »

There is one more point in th U.S. favor that is not being accounted for here.  Even with a very rough parity of forces, the U.S. simply has the capacity to outproduce almost every other nation on Earth.  While many of our factories are currently mothballed, an all out war with the EU would push us onto full wartime footing, and historicly that does not go well for anyone.  We're also sitting on what is probably the single largest aggregate of material resources on the planet.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 05:39:44 am »

Thread doesnt really fully make sense without objectives. You can't just be abstractly "at war." What for? You need to know because what is winning?

Since when did wars start needing reason?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 05:46:42 am »

...? Since always?

If there is no reason, then the answer is simple: EU and America both win, by just doing nothing.  ::)

The outcome of the war depends heavily on the necessary objective: occupation? complete destruction (and of civilians? For example, both of them get some idea in their heads of a race war)? Merely stopping the other side from doing something unacceptable, such as proliferating some new weapon, or doing something that endangers life? Control of some vital new resource that new technology has just uncovered? Etc.  All very very different strategies to fight those different wars.

The E.U. "Turtling" for example is stupid if it's the U.S. that needs to be stopped from doing something, because they'd just ignore you if you turtled and go on and do that thing and you auto-lose...

Whereas if it's a new resource in Europe, then doing anything but turtling is probably absurd.

etc. etc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:49:31 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 06:59:24 am »

Conditional curbstomp of Europe in almost any case that doesn't use some weird restriction. The United States military apparatus is the only country left that does shit like force projection or heavy scale combat. The really scary thought is how much that's fallen off. America's a brigade (and common times battalion even) based Army now instead of one that fields Divisions and Corps.

Also, the idea that the Abrams is outclassed and outclasses evenly amongst European main battle tanks is more than a little ridiculous.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 07:08:20 am »

Also, the idea that the Abrams is outclassed and outclasses evenly amongst European main battle tanks is more than a little ridiculous.

This I would agree with. The Challenger 2, Leopard 2 and T-90 come close (as does possibly the Le Clerk at a push) or outperform in specific ways but the Abrams is a better overall package, despite some misplaced concerns over the nature of its engine.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:16:56 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 07:16:50 am »

It's a more finicky engine than the others in some respects, but it also greatly outperforms. The finickiness is compensated by the fact that the US is more than happy just to swap the damn thing out if it gets to be a problem (assuming wartime conditions, here).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 10:27:22 am »

America has never been cost efficient and its power never came for the military : it's the other way around, america have a huge army becaause of its huge economy and scientific dominance. On the field, the Americain army don't perform that well for its price, and is rarely used efficiently (see war in Iraq, War in afganistan, Vietnam,....). On the other hand, European power tend to use their armies more efficiently and more cost effectively.

That being said, European command isn't unified, our force projection capacities are not enough to launch an invasion and we have no military bases in the united states while they have a lot of them in Europe. Intelligence wise, all of our communication are intercepted by the US and much of our hardware rely on Americain tech. Politically, our administration are infiltrated by americain intelligence and Americain agencies are known to operate on our soil.

I don't think we could mount an attack of the US without them knowing. So the US will have the initiative, and will be able to launch an attack from its base in Europe. The war would be over in a few hours.

I expect them to fail the occupation though, and to ruin themselves trying to control a rapidely crumbling Europe.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 10:46:15 am »

Since when did wars start needing reason?

Aye, last night it occurred to me that if the US and EU started to fight without a proper falling out a new age of . .  . Dark Ages would fall upon humanity.  Without the 'peacekeepers' of the world, every despot would logically make gains.  Look at Russia, not even waiting!

So imagine every ambitious ruler with a dispute attacking their neighbor as the big brothers of the world are infighting.

Also yep, I have my doubts about Russia and China staying neutral in a US/EU war.  I think its the potential for gang ups that keep peace more than any real peacekeeping effort.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 11:35:11 am »

If we want the perfect theatre for an armchair war, which will force either side to pit their forces against eachother in large battles on their own ground (very unlikely in the modern world) we should simply assume that each side's goal is the capture the other's Flag, which is in a well defended but known location of each faction's choosing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 11:40:22 am »

America has never been cost efficient and its power never came for the military : it's the other way around, america have a huge army becaause of its huge economy and scientific dominance. On the field, the Americain army don't perform that well for its price, and is rarely used efficiently (see war in Iraq, War in afganistan, Vietnam,....). On the other hand, European power tend to use their armies more efficiently and more cost effectively.
[citation needed]

The U.S. had trouble in Vietnam (and in Afghanistan as well as Gulf War Two: Electric Boogaloo) for an obvious reason: we were trying to fight asymmetric conflicts against what were functionally loosely organized militias capable of striking, dropping their weapons, and blending with civilian populations... with a military designed to take on the Soviets in a straight war. Note that the exact same thing happened to European states in the same situations (in the same places, even); the French were chased out of Vietnam and ex-Soviet soldiers could have given a word of advice or three to the U.S. about the sort of quagmire that Afghanistan turns in to when you try to occupy it. It's been more than a decade and only now are we starting to see noticeable changes targeted directly at fighting that sort of conflict.

The plain truth is that U.S. military force is still largely oriented around a type of war that really isn't fought any more -- large, powerful states don't war amongst themselves in this era. That said, that's also why the U.S. could utterly curbstomp just about any other state or group of states (barring something like U.S. vs. the world), because apart from China (whose arms are vastly out of date) nobody else bothers trying to field large militaries, not least because most of the other states which potentially could no longer have colonies to hold, and prefer to use their income for other things, especially given that many of them are in NATO and as such would reasonably expect U.S. support if for some reason they did need a big, stompy military machine for a few months.

--

Now, another question: What would the outcome have been if the Cold War had never existed, because the East-West conflict went hot as soon as Berlin fell?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 11:43:16 am »

US would have won in that case.

But, I have more doubts about their win the longer the cold war did go on.  I think that had we fought at or around the Korean War we would have been in much less of a position to win.

---US soldiers were better Equipped, better fed, treated better with better technology.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 12:31:02 pm »

In the case of a US invasion of the EU, I don't think the EU would play into the US hands of large set piece battles though - it would be a lot of hit and runs, constantly falling back, and high mobility/small scale actions (what with that being the focus of so many modern armed forces in the EU - flexibility over single specific mission effectiveness), aided by the total lack of any kind of supply lines. Of course the US would look to cause large scale engagements for the high force kerbstomp mentioned by Strife earlier, but I don't see either side playing to the others strengths.

If the Red army and the Allies kept on fighting after the fall of Berlin, I would have expected initial gains on the ground by the Soviets, possibly due to sheer weight of numbers alone before Allied air (mass bombing on Soviet cities, and fighter cover) and naval superiority (bottling the Soviets up in the Baltic or black sea, and playing hell with coastal cities) would have stopped and reversed that. I do think however that the Allies would have never made a land assault on Russia itself having learnt from Hitler's mistake, and instead have been content with pushing the soviets back to their own border, or possibly looking to force a regime change, which would have been more than enough of a victory for the US and UK.
This is a blank sig.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:53 pm »

The U.S. had trouble in Vietnam (and in Afghanistan as well as Gulf War Two: Electric Boogaloo) for an obvious reason: we were trying to fight asymmetric conflicts against what were functionally loosely organized militias capable of striking, dropping their weapons, and blending with civilian populations... with a military designed to take on the Soviets in a straight war.

Honestly it's somewhat amazing how well the occupation of Iraq was handled given the impossible task requested by civilian leadership.  For a military to be asked to do a building by building clearance of a major city and walk out with only hundreds of casualties is actually pretty damn impressive.

Europe invading the US in the absence of a navy is pretty simple.  Just send the troops across the Canadian border to seize the adjacent states.  Don't even need to hold the territory, once the damage is done, Euro has won.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 01:03:28 pm »

this needs to be a forum game.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 82