Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 128274 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #435 on: October 07, 2014, 01:44:42 pm »

China exports a lot of things into other markets.

Does that means that their goods are better than the counterparts from the other countries?

Define better.

Cheaper could be better.

As the Red Army says - quantity is a quality all of its own.

Though, do remember that superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.

:P
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 07, 2014, 02:15:01 pm »

Does that means that their goods are better than the counterparts from the other countries?

Define better.

Cheaper could be better.

Though, do remember that superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.

In short, at a somewhat comparable technological level:
Advantage in morale > advantage in organization > advantage in logistics > advantage in equipment.

You can see what happens when an army lacks morale and organization in Iraq. They had superior logistics and superior equipment, but all these things are useless without morale and organization to back it up. Thus, they lost against ISIS, horribly.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 07, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »

In their price category: Yep. Absolutely.
In fact China is in top ten countries for a lot of things.

Can you name Russian brand as successful as Lenovo or Huawei? Why can't Putin, supreme lord and great ruler, organize anything of that level?

BTW, I am absolutely sure that Chinise weapons are decade ahead of Russian

Why China is only number three arms exporter despite their expertise in making budget variants of everything?  There are many reasons for that, but I think that the main one is:

Largest importers are either one of likely opponents of China (India) or prefer quality over quantity (United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, NATO)

There's also the fact that most of the countries that would buy russian tanks can now either afford to develop and build their own or buy the pricier western ones.
And that is what they do, no?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 07, 2014, 02:24:11 pm »

Define better.

Cheaper could be better.

In short, at a somewhat comparable technological level:
Advantage in morale > advantage in organization > advantage in logistics > advantage in equipment.

You can see what happens when an army lacks morale and organization in Iraq. They had superior logistics and superior equipment, but all these things are useless without morale and organization to back it up. Thus, they lost against ISIS, horribly.

That, and it is hard to fight against someone who is willing to die for their cause, and as such has no regard for self preservation in combat - in the manner of an ISIS fanatic. I have spoken to serving soldiers and veterans, and the consensus of opinion is that it is hard to fight against someone with no fear of death. What can you do with your training and equipment when people are willing to rush machine gun posts, or suicide attack a tank?
This is a blank sig.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 07, 2014, 02:30:34 pm »

That, and it is hard to fight against someone who is willing to die for their cause, and as such has no regard for self preservation in combat

hence why morale is first on Sergarr's list.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 07, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »

Actually China isn't all that advanced as far as electronics and high tech are concerned. Most of their big name companies are foreign investments for the most part and their military is generally a step behind both Russia and most of the West. Mostly becase they're not trying to compete with them but with India and to a certain extent Japan/SK.

One of the biggest reasons they are trying to bring Taiwan into China without resorting to any violence is because they want the IT industry they have there that China needs to develop some of the more advanced stuff for their military.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 07, 2014, 02:56:03 pm »

Can you name Russian brand as successful as Lenovo or Huawei? Why can't Putin, supreme lord and great ruler, organize anything of that level?
90s m8

they destroyed most of our high-tech industries
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 07, 2014, 03:04:15 pm »

It's not the first time in history that an army had to face that, you know? Do you think England never had to face fanatics? Or Russia for that matter. Basically, provided you have combat abilities in their home country, you kill everyone untill no one have the will to fight. Chechnya is a textbook example.

No Europe was not fan of going in that war. As for acting like the weird police force of a puppet government, I'm not entirely sure why the DoD is still trying. It never worked. 
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #443 on: December 17, 2014, 03:08:58 pm »

Derail expatriated; what defines a warrior and what defines a soldier? How awesome was Baibars?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 17, 2014, 03:15:55 pm »

I'd say a warrior is someone who has the willingness to fight for something they believe in, or for someone or something they want to protect and is willing to do that regardless of wether they recieve any help or not.

Esentially, I'd call a father taking up arms to protect his family a warrior. He doesn't need to have training, just the willingness.

A solider on the other hand would be someone who fights because they are trained to do so and have been told to fight, their beliefs do not enter the equation here. If they do then they are poor soliders (which is not to say they are poor humans, just shit at doing their job).

Also who the fuck is Baibars?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 17, 2014, 03:18:07 pm »

I'd say a warrior is someone who has the willingness to fight for something they believe in, or for someone or something they want to protect and is willing to do that regardless of wether they recieve any help or not.

Esentially, I'd call a father taking up arms to protect his family a warrior. He doesn't need to have training, just the willingness.

A solider on the other hand would be someone who fights because they are trained to do so and have been told to fight, their beliefs do not enter the equation here. If they do then they are poor soliders (which is not to say they are poor humans, just shit at doing their job).

Also who the fuck is Baibars?

Wikipedia says Baibars was a Mamluk/Egyptian/Islamic leader who fought against the Crusaders and the Mongols, to some degree of success.
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 17, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »

A warrior is someone who fights for something personal (ideas or family) mostly by himself, a soldier is someone who fights for the state while being supported by said state.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #447 on: December 17, 2014, 03:39:03 pm »

Wikipedia says Baibars was a Mamluk/Egyptian/Islamic leader who fought against the Crusaders and the Mongols, to some degree of success.
Completely wrecked the Crusaders and the Mongolians and taunted his enemies with ruthless ability.

Personally I say the difference between a soldier and a warrior is that a warrior is a fighter and a soldier is a part of an army; greater discipline lies with the soldier.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 17, 2014, 03:41:37 pm »

There's the idea in fantasy/sci-fi that a warrior is worth more than a soldier.  Possibly due to the warrior's greater likelihood of being a protagonist and the faceless nature of storm troopers.

Soldiers tend to be cooperative critters, never gaining too much individual face-time, and warriors are glorified for their individualism and often personal reasons for fighting.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #449 on: December 17, 2014, 03:47:12 pm »

I would be rather amused by a protagonist warrior charging into a formation of soldiers and just getting absolutely wrecked. Might make for a short story though.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 82