Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 127100 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2014, 04:20:05 pm »

US Tactics when meeting EU cities? Simple. Bomb the crap outta them from the air. Use armour and mechanised infantry with close air support to take main road nodes and form an encirclement. Follow up with lots of artilliery, then on vehicle yomp to city centres, or on foot where vehicles can not go. A horrible, horrible fucking bloodbath on both sides. This assumes the need to take them, and that investing in a siege is off the table.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2014, 05:04:57 pm »

US Tactics when meeting EU cities? Simple. Bomb the crap outta them from the air. Use armour and mechanised infantry with close air support to take main road nodes and form an encirclement. Follow up with lots of artilliery, then on vehicle yomp to city centres, or on foot where vehicles can not go. A horrible, horrible fucking bloodbath on both sides. This assumes the need to take them, and that investing in a siege is off the table.
Yeah, have fun trying to drive any armour through the ruins of a European city whilst under attack from enemy airpower and ground forces. Cars have difficulty navigating these streets at their most pristine and efficient, a determined defender with armour, barricades and fortifications of their own? There'd be an anti-tank weapon behind every window, or close enough. Stalingrad 2 electric boogaloo.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2014, 05:46:42 pm »

Stalingrad 2 electric boogaloo.
This. Also, many Europeans already loathe the US with a passion; in case of a US attack, the American soldiers would have to deal with a massive guerilla movement as well as Europe's proper military forces.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2014, 06:44:27 pm »

I cant for the life of me figure out why you'd want to fight for a single city.  So much easier to just hit any military targets from outside and move on to the next city without waiting for surrender.

Iraq featured house to house fighting because the US was trying to literally police the place.  If the US pulled out of Fallujah when the going got tough then it's citizens would kill each other on sectarian lines and generally do a lot of stuff the US didn't want.  But it's not like the citizens of Paris or London will start killing each other to stick it to the Americans.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 03, 2014, 02:36:37 am »

Yeah, I would say that besieging the cities is the way to go. I don't know about other European cities, but for example Warsaw takes a good half of it's water supply from just one huge well; a good GBU-16 Paveway II or a couple would effectively shut it down. A few more at other key facilities, especially natural gas/electric power supply and just give it time. After most civilians leave the place due to lack of everything needed to survive, just start cutting through the city block by block, starting with artillery, aerial bombardments, and attacking along less-fortified axes of approach.

Still costly, lengthy and problematic, but the same is to be said about every other place in the world where there are cities, honestly.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 03, 2014, 01:22:30 pm »

Maybe use the tactics developed in WWII?
Bomb everything with air strikes and artillery? Possible I guess, but not a full solution.

I don't know how labrynthine the cities and towns in Iraq and Afghanistan are, but urban warfare is still urban warfare.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bagdhad's not as neat of a grid as many American cities are, but they're still rather neat.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.
A look at London that's all over the fucking place.
Berlin ruins the combo by having a neat city. Casuals.

The vast series of underground tunnels, metros, sewers and WWII bunkers are also not to be forgotten.

For comparison, Eastern European cities:

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 03, 2014, 01:55:25 pm »

currently contested between vegetables and jackets
You made my day
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 03, 2014, 03:51:51 pm »

The city has experience of being an arena for urban combat - it was almost completely destroyed during the onslaught of very civilized Eurointegrators in the 1940s.

Mine too.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:43 pm »

Hey!
Alright, I kinda do... It's a beautiful city, okay? And I want to be able to visit without a visum...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 04, 2014, 02:36:50 am »

The city has experience of being an arena for urban combat - it was almost completely destroyed during the onslaught of very civilized Eurointegrators in the 1940s.

Well, most damage was done by Red Army when they recaptured Minsk.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 04, 2014, 06:31:19 am »

Well, most damage was done by Red Army when they recaptured Minsk.
I should note that large areas of the city were destroyed by the fires caused by Nazi German air raids on the 24th of June 1941.
Some districts were ruined, some were not, as this photo shows:

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 04, 2014, 06:44:40 am »

I cant for the life of me figure out why you'd want to fight for a single city.  So much easier to just hit any military targets from outside and move on to the next city without waiting for surrender.
Don't underestimate pride and symbolism. Just because it's a good idea doesn't mean its going to be carried out. The pride of a person could lead him to want to capture this or that. Also if you don't occupy the cities they may become havens for the remnants of defeated armies. Also a cities fall can be a symbol that a country is losing and may lower morale.

Also if you seriously want to test this conflict get Men of War with some mods like ''modern mod'' and duke it out. Its a game I know but you could try it for the laugh. Set yourself some rules in it too like only what the would actually do on a battlefield and hey presto inaccurate simulator. Watch the glorious chaos unfold.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 04, 2014, 07:13:04 am »

Don't underestimate pride and symbolism. Just because it's a good idea doesn't mean its going to be carried out. The pride of a person could lead him to want to capture this or that.
There's a good argument to be made that Hitler went for Stalingrad mostly because it carried Stalin's name. Not that it wasn't of strategic importance as well, but that alone wouldn't have justified makinng the city the slaughterhouse it became.
The Bay12 postcard club

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 04, 2014, 07:17:42 am »

nah, hitler went for moscow on that

stalingrad was pretty much the hinge on which the southern parts of the union (baku oilfields, primarily) stood

and that was a damn rich resource that would be pretty tricky to bomb to boot (closest allied bases would be in the remaining parts of soviet union or all the way in iraq)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 04, 2014, 07:44:59 am »

I think if Germany went for Stalingrad instead of Moscow in 1941 the war would be very different.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 82