Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 127059 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #1185 on: August 15, 2017, 06:53:38 am »

Honestly I think it depends on who exactly gets nuked and where.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1186 on: August 15, 2017, 08:21:31 am »

Read books from Metro universe. Post-Apo papacy, Venezuelan Nazis, a lot of Russians, etc...
OH WAIT YOU CAN'T THEY DON'T GET TRANSLATED TO ENGLISH OH WELL.
There's always the vidya
Though the interactions I'm talking about would be how do the vast post-war nations deal with one another and such. For example in the USA, the likelihood of the pre-war government surviving is pretty high, USA's got a lot of bunkers. However the likelihood of the USA being able to reclaim North America would be another question entirely. Reminds me of a US war exercise where they were practicing how the USA would deal with a large armed rebellion. In the contest between US and rebellion, neither won, who won instead were the warlords that arose in the crossfire. Could the remnant gov then take on the warlords? What would the lines of communication in a post-war USA look like, would its railways survive or be repairable in time to face a second strike?

Honestly I think it depends on who exactly gets nuked and where.
I run under the basis that vital military targets and economic centres would be the highest priority ones, so it would be safe to assume much of the Northern hemisphere's capitals are just ~gone~. Also assuming that the war happens under current US-Russian nuclear doctrine, with both sides preferring tactical nuclear weapons, keeping up to a third in reserve, so in countries with large strategic depth significantly large rural populations surviving is probable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
UK is a good example for thought; most of the surviving populations would come from celtic highland areas or english fishing towns, with much of the UK's maritime forces being able to escape the initial superdeath. It would be amusing for example if Cornwall or the Isle of Man was to make a surprise comeback in colonizing the empty quarters of England. Would Swindon remain Swindon
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:23:33 am by Loud Whispers »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
UK is a good example for thought; most of the surviving populations would come from celtic highland areas or english fishing towns, with much of the UK's maritime forces being able to escape the initial superdeath. It would be amusing for example if Cornwall or the Isle of Man was to make a surprise comeback in colonizing the empty quarters of England. Would Swindon remain Swindon
Seriously? You used ~100 Mt as realistic yield for nuclear strike?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:44:35 am by Il Palazzo »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1188 on: August 15, 2017, 08:54:49 am »

There's always the vidya
Though the interactions I'm talking about would be how do the vast post-war nations deal with one another and such. For example in the USA, the likelihood of the pre-war government surviving is pretty high, USA's got a lot of bunkers. However the likelihood of the USA being able to reclaim North America would be another question entirely. Reminds me of a US war exercise where they were practicing how the USA would deal with a large armed rebellion. In the contest between US and rebellion, neither won, who won instead were the warlords that arose in the crossfire. Could the remnant gov then take on the warlords? What would the lines of communication in a post-war USA look like, would its railways survive or be repairable in time to face a second strike?
Vidyas are restricted to Moscow, and soon maybe a bit more of Russia.
And yes, in the expanded universe you get post-war nations and shit. Mentioned Papal States are a thing, there are those organized Venezuelian Nazis (as in, actual honest to God nazis, with Swastikas and all) uncountable warlords, etc.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1189 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:54 am »

This kind of post is fairly unconstructive. It doesn't convey whether that's too low or too high, or give any idea of what you think a more reasonable number would be. In fact, the only information it conveys is that you disagree with LW, and that you consider it appropriate to belittle him (although you have not, in fact, provided any explanation as to why you are more correct than he is). It's neither polite nor helpful enough to cover over the rudeness.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 15, 2017, 09:00:14 am »

So it looks like North Korea decided to back down, which is a nice sigh of relief for everyone.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 15, 2017, 09:12:17 am »

It's more likely that England will be renamed to the Scottish Lowlands
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 15, 2017, 09:13:58 am »

This kind of post is fairly unconstructive. It doesn't convey whether that's too low or too high, or give any idea of what you think a more reasonable number would be. In fact, the only information it conveys is that you disagree with LW, and that you consider it appropriate to belittle him (although you have not, in fact, provided any explanation as to why you are more correct than he is). It's neither polite nor helpful enough to cover over the rudeness.
Apologies, I was talking to LW. He's a jolly thick-skinned argumentative bastard, so I'm certain he won't get offended.
I assumed he knows what he's doing seeing how he chose that specific yield, so I was expecting an explanation for the choice without having to explain the basics first.

Here's some background for the onlookers: the largest ever detonated bomb was Tsar Bomba, at 50 Mt yield. In order to limit radioactive fallout, this was scaled down from the theoretical maximum of 100 Mt - the value LW used.
This kind of bomb is too large to be used in CBMs. It's also inefficient in how much energy is lost to the upper atmosphere as compared to smaller devices.
Both US and Russia reportedly use warheads with maximum yield around 1 Mt - two orders of magnitude lower.
Plug in 1 Mt into the same calculator here:
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
to see the effects. Choose airburst rather than groundburst - the latter is used only to penetrate bunkers (such as missile silos), since it produces reduced blast radius.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:16:33 am by Il Palazzo »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 15, 2017, 09:27:29 am »

Global communications, at least on a basic level, should be very easy to keep up. Building a radio is actually simple as shit, you just have to know how - and that knowledge is widespread enough to survive. Similar considerations apply for many other electronic devices. Modern cryptography, too, can in principle be done by hand or with just a primitive calculator, which means that sensitive information could still be relayed quickly over large distances.

Similarly, vehicles not dependent on fossil fuel - think bicycles, rollerblades - are (relatively) easy to make and use, and give a great advantage over even Napoleonic times. Chemistry on a 19th century level will stick around, too, up to and including primitive antibiotics. Germ theory, too, is something that makes life much easier without requiring advanced materials or long supply chains. Easy steel making, knowledge about alloys, techniques like employing sacrificial anodes for preventing corrosion: All there, all easy-ish even after the collapse. Modern crops will still be around, together with the knowledge of fertilization and soil chemistry - and that's not even considering the fact that you could definitely get farming equipment to run on wood instead of oil products.

It'll take us a while - say, fifty years - to once again send satellites to orbit, or produce computers like our modern ones, or put together fighter jets, rockets, aircraft carriers. But once the radiation dies down and you've gotten used to not being able to contact your friends on the other side of the earth, it'll be relatively fine. Hell, at least in Western Europe there will be a strong desire to rebuild the nations as they were before, due to them being largely defined via language and ethnicity, so larger government structures will assemble quickly, and with them, reliable trade over long distances will resume. Add that to the fact that the European populace is on average much more well-educated than that of the not-First world, and I'd wager you'd have a fair chance of seeing colonialist patterns resume after a few decades as we once again try to suck the oil out from under the Arabs.

Actually it's quite clear that 100 Mt is too much*, and it's also highly improbable that LW doesn't know that, so it's a perfectly reasonable calling-out of laziness or knowing exaggeration on LW's part.
Even if it was not clear that 100 Mt is too much, it's still pretty much self-evident that not all nukes would be of the same size. You really don't have to know all that much about nuclear weapons or nuclear strategy to realize it's a bad map. Not that it's easy to come up with a good one, but he should've at least slapped on a disclaimer 'very rough approximation' or something.

*Especially considering that pretty much all the nuke-owning countries are moving to smaller bombs that are delivered more precisely.

E: Damn ninjas.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1194 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:02 am »

I didn't make the chart fam, it was made by real estate agents I found on google. I do not yet have the time to drop tactical nukes on London ;D

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: August 15, 2017, 09:52:52 am »

I was wondering what the price tags meant. So it's a scare-map intended to goad people into buying properties in places outside fantasy-scenario blast radii? Sounds legit.

It's always good to provide sources for one's claims, bub.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1196 on: August 15, 2017, 10:13:20 am »

Sauce is for scrubs

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 15, 2017, 01:54:19 pm »

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 15, 2017, 06:42:56 pm »

Our words are backed with nuclear shitposts!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82