Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Single Mothers  (Read 5410 times)

Kilumanjaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Single Mothers
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:41:31 pm »

So...  I thought this wasn't possible but I now have a single mother in my fort.

I first established the fort and had a good crop of migrants first season, followed by a larger group of Gobos the next, leading to instantaneous whipping in the face to my 2 bronze-clad speardwarfs.  Soon afterward most of the crew was dead and the rest were to panicked to do anything for most of the season.

A reclaim later with a new starting 7, and 2 seasons after coming back my mason is carrying a baby fathered by the metalsmith, although the relationship between them is no better than "friendly terms"  oooooh the scandal!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Her personality also states "Will freely cheat anybody at any time" ... I feel bad for Zulban now.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
Re: Single Mothers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:26:26 am »

I've noticed this too, I have three children in my fort, their parents are all part of my fort, but none of them are married and the parents are just 'Friendly' to each other.

Although I wonder if we're be able to get children out of wedlock now and it's just bugged to doing it all the time.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:22:03 am »

A reclaim later with a new starting 7, and 2 seasons after coming back my mason is carrying a baby fathered by the metalsmith, although the relationship between them is no better than "friendly terms"  oooooh the scandal!

Well, you should be glad they are on friendly terms at least...  Forts have enough problems without baby mama drama!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Mardukker

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with tetrahedric spikes of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:29:44 pm »

Even if it wasn't a known bug, I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended. The dorfs are becoming more and more like real people in every update, after all.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 05:36:13 pm »

Guess I'll move it here I've got a version that like this but a little different
 http://i.imgur.com/5QuyiBw.png http://i.imgur.com/qn2rOOV.png http://i.imgur.com/ehXJrU9.png
 This dwarf has a wife and 19 kids and 2 kids in my fort from different ladies
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 06:46:00 pm »

Not sure if it's completely related, but I've also noticed a few of my starting 7 with good thoughts because they "talked with a family member lately", while none of them have any family.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:50:17 pm »

It was that dwarves were calling their own code but also the animal breeding code, which just picks out a dwarf male somewhere to be the father.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

grisha5

• Bay Watcher
  • [SACRIFICE_CAT:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:06:04 pm »

It was that dwarves were calling their own code but also the animal breeding code, which just picks out a dwarf male somewhere to be the father.

could you make it so they breed only on contact in next patch?
kittunns yay ~WalterWhite from DashNet forums
i am a cat. with a laser gun to shoot cat killers

Kilumanjaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:07:54 pm »

... Forts have enough problems without baby mama drama!

hehehe...  just imagine the status screen fun.
Urist McDeadbeat has been miserable lately.  He was denied visitation recently.  He has been idle far too long.  He slept in the dirt recently.  He's gone too long without a drink recently.

Thanks for the reply, Toady.  Great work, this version has been loads of fun so far!

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:22:12 pm »

I expected some deep real-world-single-mother-conversation to be happening in here, haha.. First trip to this subforum, actually :D Anyway, thought I'd mention that if you happen to know any real-world single mothers that are fans of Dwarf Fortress, you should babysit their kids for them at least 5 hours a week to give her some free time to play DF in..

Its only right!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 09:08:21 am »

I expected some deep real-world-single-mother-conversation to be happening in here, haha.. First trip to this subforum, actually :D Anyway, thought I'd mention that if you happen to know any real-world single mothers that are fans of Dwarf Fortress, you should babysit their kids for them at least 5 hours a week to give her some free time to play DF in..

Its only right!

Given the threads of dwarven child care, no way would I let anyone who played this game anywhere near an infant/child of mine  :D
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 11:15:23 am »

I think its a good thing that there is no outcry, no poopflinging and no rage about this. Sure it was a bug but i think it shows that most of us dont have a problem with children outside of marriage or even "cheating" (in terms of the simualtion). I realy hope that we can get a more diversified "sex"-life in one of the next versions.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 08:06:43 pm »

could you make it so they breed only on contact in next patch?
Bam.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:20 pm »

I would prefer dwarves reproducing like earthworms: you cut a dwarf in two, now you got two dwarves.
Pages: [1] 2