Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.09 - Yomi wins!  (Read 19052 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dominions 4 Round 4.09 - Yomi wins!
« on: August 05, 2014, 06:46:40 pm »

Since it looks like my 4.06 game will be going into stasis for the next week, I got killed early in 4.07, and 4.08 filled up before I got a chance to join, I figured I'd try my hand at hosting my own game.

Game: Bay12GamesRound409
Map: Catacombs of the Titans
Mods: Worthy Heroes v1.23
Era: Early Era
Disciples: No
Time allowance: TBD
Special site frequency: 50
Random event frequency: Common
Research: Standard
Score graphs: no
Hall of Fame: 15
Artifact forging limit : limited
Thrones: 5 points of thrones needed. 10 level 1 thrones, 2 level 2 thrones.
Renaming: allowed

I'm currently open on number of players and map. I won't lie, I'd love to get the chance to try out either of the maps that I made (Catacombs of the Titans or Oram Dakon, The World of Omens), but I'm a mapmaking neophyte so I'm sure that my maps are probably flawed in any number of ways; we'd probably do better using one of the tried-and-true maps.

Currently Signed up:
Machaka - Alstar
Ermor - Shadowlord
Berytos - tompliss
Tir na n'Og - DarkerDark
R'lyeh - Bluerobin
Yomi - [Ars]Hellheart (Steam)

(Stolen from the previous Dom4 threads:)
Spoiler: How does PBEM work? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rules of conduct (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:07:54 pm by AlStar »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.09 - EAsy Come, EAsy Go...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »

Two games (even if one's not started yet) is quite enough for me, but you probably want to make sure there are pre-set starts or nostart provinces in your maps to make sure everyone gets a fair start in the game. You want to make sure that's the case even if this round won't use your map, a bit too many map makers forget or simply don't bother adding starts/nostarts.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:22 am »

I would rather play on the DF map, but it's 284++43 provinces, so you'll need many players (12 would be the minimum, for a 20 province per player setting that's still high), and I don't know hether you'll gather that many, now that 4.08 is just beginning...

And, by the way, I don't know whether I'll play in this one...
I mean, I'm already in 4 games (but my role in one of them is currently ending...).
Anyway, if you go for Oram Dakon, I would love to try it with some fellow players...

PS: By the way, with what settings did you gen the DF map ?

EDIT: I would like to put an option on Berytos, anyway. It's not like I can not play in every game that get started here ! :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:41:42 am by tompliss »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:32:00 am »

Don't forget to check to make sure that your starts/nostarts take into account richness of lands around the starting locations as well as the number of neighbors and terrain of the starting provinces/immediate neighbors. Of the last 4 games I've been in, 3 have put one or more nations at a preliminary disadvantage because they had less rich environs to expand into than their competitors.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:08:27 am »

PS: By the way, with what settings did you gen the DF map ?

As I remember, it's default settings on a large map, year 0. I could've just generated a smaller map as it turned out, since I ended up cutting the map in half, anyway. (And, as you mention, even this is on the "too big" side of things.)

Quote from: E. Albright
Don't forget to check to make sure that your starts/nostarts take into account richness of lands around the starting locations as well as the number of neighbors and terrain of the starting provinces/immediate neighbors.
Well, it's a minimally-edited DF world, so I'm not going to say everyone's got perfectly the same expansion chances, but all the starting spots are roughly equal, and (unlike the southern continent I'm dealing with in 4.06) wastelands and swamps are fairly rare. There are some large stretches of woods and fields on some of the landmasses, which could mess with nations who are more gold/resource focused.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:21:12 am »

I'll play.
But only if the map is reasonably small. That Catacombs one looks nice, but any other of ~100 provinces will do.
I'd like to try those Ur guys. There are swamps to be found on these maps, I presume?

If you'd rather have a large game, then I'll pass.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 12:18:31 pm »

EA Ur looks interesting. I'm considering trying them.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 02:30:17 pm »

Posting to watch. I may or may not join, depending on if I find a nation that yanks my crank. Though I'm not too sure about that since Ur is taken...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 05:52:23 pm »

I'll join, assuming we end up on a smallish map as well. I don't have time (or desire, honestly) for a really big map/long game. Nation TBA, but I'll work around other people's choices.

Edit: I'm gonna say EA R'lyeh for now, but it's definitely still in flux.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:55:30 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:37:22 pm »

Well, if we do go with my catacombs map, we could  actually start the game with the players who have stated at least a possible interest, as that gives us 5 land nations and 1 water nation.

That said, we'll have to nail down both the numbers (Will USEC be playing? Will tompliss still be interested if we're just playing on a small map?) and the nations (Both Il Palazzo and Shadowlord have mentioned they'd like to try Ur. Since Il Palazzo posted first, I'm going to vote that he gets dibs.)

Still, we're looking like we could potentially get this game off the ground in the near future.

So the new question to everyone: It looks like the small map players have the vote. Does anyone have any other small maps they'd like to propose to play on, or shall we just see how well/poorly my map does?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 07:08:08 pm »

Ah, oops. Switch me to Ermor.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 01:58:22 am »

I vote for yer mother. I mean, your map.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 02:07:29 am »

I would vote for waiting 24h, to see whether there are other players interested :)
(and then use your map. I would like to warn the players, though : there is a cave network, connecting distant provinces)

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 06:58:12 am »

me and brother (seems to) wanna join, jsut some questions.
Us playing in the same game, I'd assume we're less trusted then at the whole we're not allied at a time thing? (meaning, many would assume we're working together i think?) anyway,t he other thing, is what of people with valid, borrowed, copies of the game? Kinda like on the 4chan games there is the one allowed 'poorfag' copy someone shared

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:24 am »

me and brother (seems to) wanna join, jsut some questions.
Us playing in the same game, I'd assume we're less trusted then at the whole we're not allied at a time thing? (meaning, many would assume we're working together i think?) anyway,t he other thing, is what of people with valid, borrowed, copies of the game? Kinda like on the 4chan games there is the one allowed 'poorfag' copy someone shared

IMO, as long as you tell us that you're not working together, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't really have an issue with the second either, as long as Dominions copy protection won't kick two players with the same serial # out of a multiplayer game (I have no idea if it does) and as long as the 'poorfag' buys a copy next time it goes on sale.

Edit: As a sidenote, I've been talking with some people looking over my map. They pointed out that in the current version, the seas are a little too powerful (many, many connections close to the default starting area) so, with a tear in my eye, I broke up the sea (a little)... which meant nuking province #1... which means that all my connections are fucked. Anyway, I've already recreated the seas, but work calls, so I'll probably have the new version sometime tonight.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:11:04 am by AlStar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11