Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Go Forth and Edit! (the wiki)  (Read 4865 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Go Forth and Edit! (the wiki)
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »

Oh! Oops.
Thank you for that correction, heh!

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 11:00:04 am »

A user in fort mode discussion asked how long a dog took to reach adulthood.
I was about to redirect him on the wiki, but noticed that information wasn't there.

I consider the baby, child, and max age a somewhat important information, deserving to be on the creature wiki page, and suggest to add it to the creature page template.
Any feeling about it, one way or another?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 11:26:30 am »

I'm strongly for it. But I'm nobody, so keep that in mind.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »

I'm nobody...

You're somebody!

*pets Talvieno like a fluffy wambler*

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 10:47:35 am »

I consider the baby, child, and max age a somewhat important information, deserving to be on the creature wiki page, and suggest to add it to the creature page template.

I'd say create a sub-block just above the "Size" sub-block (below the "Trained Attributes" / "Cannot be Tamed" sub-block), perhaps called "Breeding"?  It should list age to the various break-points (including max age), the breeding frequency, and the litter / clutch size info. 

Would it be more logical to have "Egg" as an age range, or to have two separate breeding blocks, one for egg layers, and a different one for live birth? 

Note that it may need to cope with creatures that don't have some of the levels defined.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 11:24:46 am »

I've never tried to edit the wiki before, but I've noticed a LOT of pages, especially the new plants, are completely empty. So I started going through, but I can't figure out how to do a lot of things. Is there some kind of tutorial I can look at?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 04:38:38 pm »

I've never tried to edit the wiki before, but I've noticed a LOT of pages, especially the new plants, are completely empty. So I started going through, but I can't figure out how to do a lot of things. Is there some kind of tutorial I can look at?
If you're trying to create pages, you'll have to be logged in and have made at least 3 edits (this helps prevent a lot of spam).

A user in fort mode discussion asked how long a dog took to reach adulthood.
I was about to redirect him on the wiki, but noticed that information wasn't there.

Any feeling about it, one way or another?
It's in the raws, so it should be fairly simple - I'm surprised it wasn't listed already. I'll add this when I get a chance.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 04:55:36 pm »

lethosor, I think baffler is... well... baffled by how to edit a wiki :)

@Baffler, most wikis use a variation of markdown, this wiki uses mediawiki's specific dialect.

If you hit the edit page you should get a small textfield to edit. You can use markdown, like described here: http://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting (also check out Link and Lists on that page)to edit the wiki.
For example [[page]] gives a link to a given page on the wiki, and ==Header== creates a second level header.

All wiki users have their own personal talk page, you can use this to experiment freely.

Good luck!
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 05:00:10 pm »

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 06:25:59 pm »

lethosor, I think baffler is... well... baffled by how to edit a wiki :)

@Baffler, most wikis use a variation of markdown, this wiki uses mediawiki's specific dialect.

If you hit the edit page you should get a small textfield to edit. You can use markdown, like described here: http://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting (also check out Link and Lists on that page)to edit the wiki.
For example [[page]] gives a link to a given page on the wiki, and ==Header== creates a second level header.

All wiki users have their own personal talk page, you can use this to experiment freely.

Good luck!

This is an excellent post. However, being a pedant, I have to point out:

Markdown is a specific form of markup, like how Kleenex is a specific brand of tissue paper. MediaWiki's markup language is not a dialect of Markdown (in fact, it precedes Markdown by several years), but its own markup language. They share some similarities but otherwise they are very different.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 03:54:31 pm »

All right, child/adult/maximum age should be implemented on all DF2014/v0.34 creature pages. They'll take a while to refresh - I've tested Cat, Dragon, and Dwarf, so they should work, but if it's not showing up on others, add "?action=purge" to the end of the page URL. Let me know of any problems.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »

All right, child/adult/maximum age should be implemented on all DF2014/v0.34 creature pages. They'll take a while to refresh - I've tested Cat, Dragon, and Dwarf, so they should work, but if it's not showing up on others, add "?action=purge" to the end of the page URL. Let me know of any problems.

Cat says "Size: Adolescent: 2,000 cm3 / Adult: 5,000 cm3" and then "Adult at: 1".  But cats become size 2000 at age 1 ("adult"), and size 5000 at age 2.  So, I think the labels are wrong for the sizes.  Rather than using words here, I think something like this would work better:
Code: [Select]
       Size
---------------------
0 years:      500 cm3
1 years:    2,000 cm3
2 years:    5,000 cm3
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 [2]