Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Testing c_variation remove tags: Also known as DF Minesweeper.  (Read 1774 times)

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Several Tokens if you try to REMOVE them will break DF even if they aren't on the creature in question. And by break I mean no errorlog.txt just crash to desktop.

The List (Individuals):
Code: [Select]
CV_REMOVE_TAG:CURIOUSBEAST_EATER
CV_REMOVE_TAG:CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER
CV_REMOVE_TAG:CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM
[s]CV_REMOVE_TAG:DESCRIPTION[/s]
The List (As a Group):
Code: [Select]
CV_REMOVE_TAG:MATERIAL
CV_REMOVE_TAG:MATERIAL_TEMPLATE
CV_REMOVE_TAG:MELTING_POINT

Individuals blow up DF just being enabled in a C_V, the group has to have all three... which is bizarre.

The Research!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you think I'm nuts feel free to verify.

Anyone think this needs to be bug reported? I can reproduce it in a snap... and anyone should be able to.

What are your thoughts Forumites?

Edit: I've been told "crash -> bug report" so I'm reporting it.

Edit: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7871

Edit: Description is off the hook.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:08:40 am by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Testing c_variation remove tags: Also known as DF Minesweeper.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:44:34 am »

That's amazing to know. Sometimes a mod crashes and there is no way to find out what does it. Having more info like that is very vital for DF modding. You could ask to stick this thread to the top of the forum.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:12:24 am »

That's amazing to know. Sometimes a mod crashes and there is no way to find out what does it. Having more info like that is very vital for DF modding. You could ask to stick this thread to the top of the forum.

As soon as I narrow down exactly why it's hard to reproduce... -.-; I feel like an idiot. At least I've blown up (CTD) a vanilla install so that's a more favorable situation, than a creature variant rich environment like my base raw directory.

EDIT: looks like it was proximity to the cv being applied, and having 2 of the three "CURIOUSBEAST_" entries as candidates for removal. That is was up to 7 candidates for crashing was:

1) Description being near the cv application with itself on the backlist. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6267
2) The M's (as I've been calling them) all synergized with Melting_point when it found itself on the blacklist. It took all three probably due to materials being played with. But 6267 strikes again. I just wish I used the right search terms to find it. I was hunting for examples not just writing in "Creature Variation". Funny I worked for an internet search situation -.-;
3) The Curious Beast stuff is a bafflement. While finding the problem there were such tags, during testing they were absent. Dragons are curious, but the critters I based on them I tore that off before testing. I didn't want them running up to snag items when testing the ITEM Flows. So there was NOTHING to delete. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7871

At least I can be done shotgun blasting DF processes ^-^

!@#$%^&*(YAY)*&^%$#@!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:06:55 am by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:01:42 am »

Its always good to know crash sources. Good work. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 02:07:41 pm »

I was just wondering now, why my giant creature file was crashing the game for no reason.  Good to know, thanks.

EDIT: It appears also, that adding [SOUND] tags to the end of a base creature will also crash a creature-variation.  (It needs to go in the middle)  This is something I've found out only now while trying to resolve the mystery crashes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:38:43 pm by samanato »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:12:18 pm »

The [SOUND] tag thing is weird o.O

So... I started packing up the changes into my HoldingPen folder so I could keep them safe -from blowing up my installations. Decided to play with things a tad more. Curiousbeast_item is a little less evil than it's siblings... but that's like saying a Dwarf Pulping Minotaur is less evil because it's not a ForgottenBeast/Titan. Guzzler and Eater seemed to like performing CTDs on their OWN which is annotated on my github:

https://github.com/EldrickWT/My-Crazy-Dwarf-Fortress-Mods/blob/master/Holding%20pen/c_variation_pet_civ.txt#L31

All files mumbled about are either in Holding Pen or the raw-40.06 folder structure.

Weirdly Interesting/Morbidly Fascinating/CURIOUS (sorry couldn't help it. Sleep Dep. is catching up...)
--
Eldrick Tobin