Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neighbors: Fortress??  (Read 4632 times)

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neighbors: Fortress??
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:21:55 am »

So I just genned a new world and started up fortress mode.
The second time since the last big update that I decided to make a fortress (I'm more of a adventure mode person) and the first time I actually bothered to look at the embark infomation since then.
But I still didn't expect that:

What am I looking at here? What the hell does that mean, "Neighbors:Fortress"?
Necromancer shenanigans, I would say, but according to the "sites and pop"-file all fortresses belong to the normal dwarven civ.

Has something like that happened to someone else before? What does that mean?

I'm not using any mods, by the way.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Neighbors: Fortress??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:25:21 am »

It means as simple as it sounds. You ahev a Fortress as your neighbour.
Might be relevant if you ever want to do Dwarf on Dwarf wars.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:18:34 am »

There's probably a necromancer living peacefully in one of the fortresses around there. Ive found necromancers chilling in human hamlets in adventure mode, no zombies present. He might send some undead occasionally, maybe.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:00:31 pm »

Just pray it isn't a HFS necromancer who will be like a normal necromancer except it will slay the undead it brings  along with what additions it has when created.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 02:35:55 pm »

I added your fortress situation to Bug #7015, until we get a decision on if that is intentional or not.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »

I think it is intentional. If anything, it is like a Town or Hamlet showing up on the neighbors screen only it is a dwarf fortress that got taken over by a necromancer. There have even been forest retreats that have also been lead by a necromancer.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:52:42 pm »

also isn't it possible it's been taken over by goblins or somesuch (or necros as people say)?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:24 am »

There's probably a necromancer living peacefully in one of the fortresses around there. Ive found necromancers chilling in human hamlets in adventure mode, no zombies present. He might send some undead occasionally, maybe.
I think you are right.  I visited one of the fortresses as an adventurer and was immediately mauled by a zombie dwarf.
Still weird, all worldgen data suggests that the fortress is still owned by the regular dwarven civ.

I added your fortress situation to Bug #7015, until we get a decision on if that is intentional or not.
Good to hear!