Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dark magic moons and other shenanigans.(Forum game)  (Read 2469 times)

Kitten Snot

• Bay Watcher
  • In need of literary skill.
    • View Profile
Dark magic moons and other shenanigans.(Forum game)
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »

You,recall yourself. You are requested. A voice that can best be described as two graves rubbing up against each-other says. You think you might have head descriptions of such a voice before, in some book. Let's hope the writer was close in his depiction of the owner.
It's odd what kind of things you remember when you, well, don't remember anything. You haven't had a coherent thought in...however long you couldn't. You can't even remember a name.
I know it's hard to recover from insanity, but honestly, you need to put some effort into it yourself. You're even a detour, you know that? So stop murmuring to yourself and remember yourself.
An order to remember something. Yeah, that always works. Still, you are remembering something... I'm on a schedule here, so while you work on that, let me explain you the trouble.
I've picked you because I need a mortalassistant to find something big and powerful that's eluding me. Your reward for your service is the ability to be called to it. This will change your damned fate to something... better.
You remember something about a village... Some people that were dear to you... You can't remember their name, or yours.
I will help you escape the library. Then it will be up to you to find the cause of the darkened moon. No time limit, but you must get it done.
Library... That triggered something. You remember getting kidnapped. from your workstation...
What were you working on?
What is your name?

You open your eyes, to see what is even talking to you.
Ah, your eyes have healed, excellent. The thing talking to you doesn't look like it ate in any time. it's wearing a black cloak, the only thing visible is his head. A polished white skull, with two blue lights.
The author of that book is so accurate it's like the universe shaped itself in his image.
Still.You look down at yourself, to see what you even are.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, off story now, here are your options on what you can pick for your job, and race. Your history is up to you, but it won't change the planned personality.
Your possible jobs are:
1. Smith: high strength, heat resistance, quality aware and capable of wearing heavy armor efficiently
2. priest: Healing magic affinity, charismatic, excellent at unarmed.
3. Farmer: poison resistance and awareness, endurance. bonus with improvised weapons.
4. Grave-keeper: Strong against undead, can survive on very little,  secret abilities that will appear over time.
5. Outlook: free running, fast, bonus with light armor and simple clothing.
races are as follows:
Human: The most numerous sentient creature, they get along with anybody. Their ability to adapt is legendary, and thus they gain an extra on their history bonus.
Dwarf: strong and rational, the dwarves make for great friends and greater adversaries. they have a strength bonus and have a natural resistance against mind magic, but need small armor and are distrusted among many.
Elf: Weaker then all races, they make up for it with their longevity and ability to regenerate at an astounding rate. What takes another race a week to heal takes an elf a day. They also attract the attention of all monsters and animals in the vicinity, due to their warped bond with nature.
Orc: Strong people from the mountains, the greenskinned barbarians are larger then all other races. They are not as strong as dwarves, but their size adds to their intimidation. Despite that, they are known as a trading race, due to their unique market on spices.

If there is anything that annoys you or think could be improved, please tell me. I really want to improve on my story-writing ability.
Let's see how far this goes.
If you feel like adding a job history, it's possible, but I'll be the judge of it being possible. I want you to start from somewhere small, so no professional fighting stuff like soldiers or mercenaries.
You've got complete free reign on how he or she looks, as well. within reasonable amounts, of course.(no orcs that are 4 feet tall.)

also, I do not own Discworld and it's characters. This is meant as a reference and homages whenever it appears. So please don't sue me for trying to entertain myself and somehow others through this vapid bunch of letters.

Small edit: death calling you "boy", you can pick your gender.
First post and it's already full of holes. This is gonna be fun.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:01:50 am by Kitten Snot »
I make stories and sometimes people like them.
Well, they did that once.
I think.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark magic moons and other shenaningans.(Forum game)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:48:44 am »

Elf Gravekeeper.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:51:58 am »

I'm going to throw in for an Orcish Priest.

Kitten Snot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:11:57 am »

Well, just need a tiebreaker now. If no vague history is given I'll make one myself(probably should have done that to begin with) and how you look will depend on your race and job.
I think.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:45:39 am »

How about an Orcish Smith?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:54:38 am »

Elf Gravekeeper.
+ 1 Dig those graves.

Kitten Snot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:52:45 am »

I'll roll a dice to decide the gender of the elf if no decision is made. You can say his or her appearance if you feel like it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Small and wiry. An elf, of course. How'd you even forget that? You still don't really remember your name, but you'll remember it in time, probably. you remember working on a grave, though. a big one, for the local jester. well-loved. You had to beat him to re-death with your shovel, too. Nothing stayed dead in your graveyard. Nothing stays dead in any graveyard, actually. Burial grounds just attract curses like flies to honey, so you know quite a few things on killing the undead. You might have gotten some minor curses yourself, but they seem to be benign.
Right, you can put the rest of pieces together on your own time, we need to move now.
You look around the room you just now realized you're standing in. it looks like a giant hallway,you can't even see the end of it, with people chained along the walls with chains. Screams emit from all around you, screams, wailing, gnashing of teeth. the cause of that makes itself clear when a sharp hot pain shoots across your back. Turning around to see, there is a young man in a red robe holding a whip with small blades attached to it. The eyes of the boy seem unfocused, and he is mumbling something to himself.

As he rears up for another slash, you suddenly see the cloaked figure behind him. He pulls out his sword and runs your attacked through. There is not even a wound or blood when the figure pulls it back out, but the scourge-wielding boy falls forward, dead.
The way out will be simple, for now. Get out of here before the library changes again. the skull says before vanishing instantly with only a small whisper of a sound.
You get up and look around for the exit. There's a large passageway not that far from you, with another robed person sitting beside it. His back is turned to you, and the prisoners next to you didn't even seem to notice the corpse of your torturer. they keep on staring at the wall, most of them catatonic.
You notice you are the only one without chains, you can make a run for it.
What do you do?

Status
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Statistics

remember, any critique you can give would be nice.
I think.

Tombsice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:24:39 am »

Grab the whip and run for it.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 05:14:52 pm »

ptw
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »

Kitten Snot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 04:32:15 am »

You take the scourge, and make a run for the gate. The guard, predictably, notices you. He yells for you to stop, and then... whips himself. It's really weird, but it allows you to keep moving on without him stopping you. You run into a more ordinary room, although it's still abnormally large. on the other side of the room there's an exit, so you go for that. To your left there was a series of bookcases, impossibly high and chaotic, and it made you uncomfortable just looking at it.
The chewing sounds don't help.
Suddenly, however, a fireball zooms past your body and hit the side of the portcullis you were about to run through. You look at the source and see the guard from earlier, with a bloodied back, and with his hand looking burnt. He sprints after you with his own whip.

You realize you can't outrun him, so you prepare yourself and lash out at him when he gets close. You manage to hit him in his thigh, causing a deep cut(roll=18). He kneels a bit , and you whip him again. This time, however ,he's ready and he tries to dodge the blow(roll=10). It's mostly successful, as he only gets a small cut on the temple. He counters by hitting you on the stomach(hp-1) and then standing up. Your attack at him proceeds to miss.(roll=7) He attacks, hitting you on the torso. You clench your teeth in pain.(hp-2)
The bastard starts laughing at you, and you miss with your whip again(roll=5+4(distracted)=9). So you just punch the moron in his stomach, knocking the air out and flooring the git.(6+4(distraction)+4(currently laughing)=16). You kick him three times in the ribs, but he manages to cover up himself up two times(rolls=8,9,12).
He scrambles to get upright, but you kick him back down.(roll=11) as you come closer to stomp his head in, you trip and accidentally elbow drop him.(roll=1 but honestly, this is the first fucking enemy, I'm sick of these bullshit rolls.) The air is knocked out again, and he barely manages a wheeze before expiring. You pick yourself up and stomp him on the head again for catharsis.

You look around again. The bookcases have moved some more, and something is still chewing on something... crunchy. The portcullis leads to another room, and a peek inside shows it's a large amount of bookcases everywhere, but much more normal then the ones in your room. The books look a bit too leathery to your liking. There is also a gate you looked over. It's large and imposing, so you can't look inside without alerting whatever is inside there.
Also, you probably need a plan of action beyond making a run for it if they're that fast and like fireballs so much.

Status
Statistics

Coincidenally, whips need rolls of 10 if they're going to hit. pretty much any other melee weapon is more forgiving and only requires 5 for hits.
Also, the rolls were utter shit for you guys.
The elf will be female if nobody objects.
I think.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 08:06:17 am »

Female sounds good.

And we should search the guard. Might have a key or something. (EDIT: Or some clue about what's going on here or what those guards are capable of.) And it's like a rule for adventurers: "You loot what you kill." Or was that "Loot anything that isn't nailed down"?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:10:48 am by Parisbre56 »

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 08:08:36 pm »

Either/or really. Sometimes even the things that are nailed down, too. I support the 'loot' plan of action.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Kitten Snot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 01:29:46 pm »

You start pillaging the dead robed idiot. One less guy means your survival chance just went up, so you can't help but grin while you take his stuff. He has another whip, but you don't have room for it in your rags. one of your two pockets has a huge hole in it, so you can't carry much. It doesn't cover much of anything, too. It's more of a glorified loincloth that may have once been a thick pair of pants. you sigh and move on to taking his other stuff. he has a small pendant around his neck, heart-shaped. It looks old, guessing from the scars, but well-cared for. His pockets just have some lint and a small book.
The book has a leather cover, the pages are green and the ink is red. The book itself talks about fire for a bit, but the rest of it is arcane symbols you don't understand. You take it along, anyways.

He doesn't have anything else in his pockets, so you open up his robe to check for inside pockets. He is just covered in scars, some of them fresh. You can't find anything in the ways of pockets. You pull out your hand again, and see it's completely covered in blood and some chunkier bits. You shake it off, with a bit more yelping then you'd want to admit.
is that you, apprentice Kinei? Why have you left your post? A monotone voice says. You jump up, and sprint towards the portcullis to hide around the corner. You hear a gasp mere seconds after you cleared it.
Martyr, it is not just to abandon your duty. Come out, now. You do not want me to find you. Penance must come from yourself. The deep voice gains a small amount of reverb into it, and you hear footsteps coming your way. Bookcases form the walls, and make for a sort of hallway. They are fortunately, ordinary bookcases. What do you do?

Status

Statistics
I think.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 02:11:20 pm »

Hide, if at all possible. Wait and see what happens, and if we can slip away unnoticed. We're already hurt, most likely weak from extended captivity, and our only weapon is a whip. And unless we're the female elf version of Indianna Jones, that won't do us much good. I believe that it is in our best interest to try to avoid combat if at all possible.
Pages: [1] 2