Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 194607 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

The Kurds would much rather they do it now while there's chaos everywhere, because if they wait for the civil war to be over they won't be able to enforce their new territorial claims by force of arms as easily, and may actually have to hold a referendum instead of just doing something that looks like one and then declaring it won despite what all the Arabs in "Kurdish ancestral territory" might think of the whole thing.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

They also claim that the referendum is going to be non-binding, so it's mostly a show of politicking. But yeah, it also seems like a way to legitimize their hold over non-Kurdish areas.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They are already independent in all but name. remember the brexit vote was non binding. look how that's going.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

They are already independent in all but name. remember the brexit vote was non binding. look how that's going.

For now. Iraq and Syria aren't in any shape to do anything about it, but Turkey and Iran are both unwilling to tolerate Kurdish separatism in those countries, to avoid energizing Kurdish separatist movements at home. Once the Islamists have been cleaned up the Kurds will likely be next. That may well happen diplomatically rather than militarily, especially if the USA sticks around to help them, but I just don't see an independent Kurdistan happening. And even if it did it'd likely be an absolute South Sudan tier dump considering the region's poor and undeveloped even by Middle Eastern standards, and only the Yazidis and Alawites have have suffered more in the fighting.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't turkeys army purged into uselessness right now? And last I heard Iraqi troops were rather sup par, but maybe they fixed that by now I don't know. And the kurds are nothing if not determined and we have seen what a large group of highly motivated men with guns can do.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't turkeys army purged into uselessness right now? And last I heard Iraqi troops were rather sup par, but maybe they fixed that by now I don't know. And the kurds are nothing if not determined and we have seen what a large group of highly motivated men with guns can do.

Turkey is very strong, the purge hit mainly top ranking officers. Just like in Russia

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Not really, the Turkish army really has lost significant strenght and organisation with the purges. And no, it were not just officers that were purged / arrested / put in torture summer camp.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Sure, but you don't need a top army to slap Kurdistan.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Turkey is very strong, the purge hit mainly top ranking officers. Just like in Russia
True, but the loss of fighter/helicopter pilots and special forces commanders is not easily replaceable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not really, the Turkish army really has lost significant strenght and organisation with the purges. And no, it were not just officers that were purged / arrested / put in torture summer camp.

Yep, I recall that while officers and up got hit harder, even the lowest ranks got significantly hit. The loss of experienced officers is also a major hit and will take even longer to replace.

While they are certainly weakened and not at the top of their capabilities where they would otherwise be, they aren't neccesarily weak.

Sure, but you don't need a top army to slap Kurdistan.

Not if it's backed by US forces, which Kurdistan is definetly going to need to survive the short to mid term. Iran might not like Kurdistan, but they're definetly going to try to manipulate them diplomatically. I can see Turkey not hesitating to go to war with them, but I don't see how Turkey going to war with a Kurdistan would benefit them.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think if Turkey actually went to *war* with an independent Kurdistan, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot vis a vis their own Kurdish population, maybe even starting an actual civil war.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crossposting because Trump

Trump slammed Qatar again an hour after Secretary of State Tillerson did a statement defending Qatar.

Vox article on the same thing

Is Trump even aware that we have a big military base there which is also the freaking command center for the entire MidEast region? Plus he does this after freaking offering Qatar an olive branch to mediate, which they declined. Whatever Trump is doing, he clearly has no clue what he is doing.

If I were an ally of the US under President Trump, I'd be slightly nervous about whether he'd up and turn on me. Though Saudi Arabia doesn't care atm since he's doing what they want.

Edit: linked from here, Pakistan and Turkey (who also happen to be our NATO ally) have sent troops to Qatar to defend in case of attack. So, um, those two countries have taken sides and it appears to be escalating pretty badly.

Funny if WWIII starts in a tiny country in the MidEast, though Russia doesn't seem to have taken an actual side here.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:55:23 pm by smjjames »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

WWI started in, what, Serbia? When Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. There is historical precedent for it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

WWI started in, what, Serbia? When Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. There is historical precedent for it.

And both sides had been spoiling for a fight for months, with propaganda supporting an arms race (read new Chengdu & Sukhoi craft, F-35 II & THAAD).

Also, this is starting to get weird strategically. Is Turkey splitting off from NATO? Storm is brewing, that's for sure.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

nuclear Winter is coming
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 136