Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 191520 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #1950 on: January 21, 2018, 07:11:46 pm »

Turkey claims it's army has invaded Syria, to create a 30 km buffer zone between Kurdish rebels and Turkey. They claim to have been able to progress without battle.
The US allied Kurds deny this, they say the Turkish army founght them, and was forced to retreat after intense battle.
The army invasion followed a series of Turkish airstrikes on Kurdish positions yesterday.

Well, US. Whatcha gonna do? Attack a NATO member, or let the Kurds die and be henceforth known to your allies as 'the traitorous pigdogs that can be trusted less than Satan"?

I don't see what responsibility the US has to help the Kurds get out of the fight with Turkey that they started, when we had been helping them defeat our mutual enemy the Islamic State and made no pretense (despite the wishful thinking of many) of allegiance beyond that. It doesn't actually even seem like they need much help. The reports I'm seeing are that they've mostly defeated the irregular Euphrates Shield forces and that Turkish regulars aren't willing to advance into the mountainous Kurd-controlled territory.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:13:45 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #1951 on: January 23, 2018, 11:31:35 pm »

Kurdish forces have called all Kurds to mobilize in Afrin, to defend against the Turks. This includes all Kurdish forces that were still fighting the remainder of IS.

The US has critisized Turkey for destabilizing the region, and urged them to reconsider their operation.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: February 08, 2018, 02:52:50 am »

In response to an 'unprovoked attack on the headquarters of Kurdish SDF forces', the US airforce has bombed Assad's forces, killing over a 100 soldiers.

It is as of yet unsure how their ally Russia is going to respond.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: February 08, 2018, 06:07:04 pm »

In response to an 'unprovoked attack on the headquarters of Kurdish SDF forces', the US airforce has bombed Assad's forces, killing over a 100 soldiers.

If they are punishing unprovoked attacks, when are they going to bomb the Turks?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: February 08, 2018, 07:44:23 pm »

If they are punishing unprovoked attacks, when are they going to bomb the Turks?

Next election season, most likely
Even the avatars expire eventually.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: February 10, 2018, 07:27:37 am »

An Israeli jet fighter was downed by Syrian forces. Both pilots survived.
The Israeli airfoce was attacking an Iranian military installation in Syria (and 11 other targets were attacked too), in response to an Iranian military drone entering Israeli airspace, when the plane was shot down.

Israel states that Iran is 'playing with fire', by infiltrating into Israeli territory.
Syria calls it an 'Israeli act of agression' that increases tensions between Israel and Syria.

Iran supports Assad in his fight to reconquer Syria, ans Israel is getting more and more nervous from the strenghtening Iranian prescence in Syria.
It's fears are that Iran's agenda isn't so much to support Assad, but rather to create a logistic corridor to Israel's sworn enemy Hezbollah, in Libanon.

The Syrian army says the Israeli airstrikes are 'an act of terror that can count on serious and heavy reprisal'.
According to Iran, the Israelian story about the drone entering their airspace is a lie, according to them it was operating in Syrian territory to support the fight against IS.

Meanwhile in Moscow, the Israelian ambassador has requested Russia's aid to keep Iran-supported shiite 'rebels' out of the de-escalation zone at the border between Syria and Israel.
Israel warns that it does not want to escalate the situation, but that it will not tolerate that Syria turns into an Iranian base.

tl;dr: Risk of more clusterfuck
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:30:49 am by martinuzz »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: February 10, 2018, 02:41:43 pm »

There's not a lot of people who can do Sarin Gas attacks, so either he managed to clean up the evidence really well or someone else decided to be a complete and utter arsehole.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: February 10, 2018, 03:27:26 pm »

There's not a lot of people who can do Sarin Gas attacks, so either he managed to clean up the evidence really well or someone else decided to be a complete and utter arsehole.

The Syrian rebels are known to have captured significant stockpiles of chemical weapons early in the war. The Syrian government had some too, at that stage, but the government's stockpiles were destroyed, and confirmed as destroyed by international observers from both power blocs. No effort was made to do the same to the chemical weapons that the rebels were known to be in possession of. They've been using them for periodic false flag attacks ever since, yet no matter how many times it happens, the media always uncritically accepts the claims made by rebel propagandists in the moment and only publishes corrections like those linked there weeks or months after the fact, if at all.

Edit: fixed second link.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:37:37 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: February 10, 2018, 05:47:30 pm »

At this point I'm more inclined to believe that our beloved American overlords needed another liberation in the Middle East and needed a pretext. After all, chemical weapons are a classic for fabricating a good 'ole war.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: February 10, 2018, 06:15:54 pm »

At this point I'm more inclined to believe that our beloved American overlords needed another liberation in the Middle East and needed a pretext. After all, chemical weapons are a classic for fabricating a good 'ole war.

Yeah, which is why as soon as they pinned it on the regime in Ghuta, they immediately invaded Syria and freed it.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: February 10, 2018, 08:07:51 pm »

Iraq didn't have a nuclear superpower backing it. An outright invasion would do much more than raise eyebrows in both Russia and Iran considering both of those states have stakes in Syria.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: February 11, 2018, 10:21:13 am »

Iraq didn't have a nuclear superpower backing it. An outright invasion would do much more than raise eyebrows in both Russia and Iran considering both of those states have stakes in Syria.

So you think that the " beloved American overlords" made up a pretext to invade the Syria, and after that someone at the DoD realized that Russia was backing Syria so they had to call off the invasion at the last minute?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: February 11, 2018, 12:15:13 pm »

No invasion was planned, but the Obama administration openly backed the rebellion against the government. When there were attacks (or "attacks") usually some immediate retaliation was carried out against government forces - typically an airstrike or series of airstrikes, but the Trump admin used missiles the one time it's been done since his election. Israel will usually also carry out strikes, but they cite Hezbollah's continued existence when they bomb Syrian army convoys or installations. My suspicion is that this kind of thing and the occasional """""accidental""""" strike against the SAA (or in Israel's case claiming stray shells hit uninhabited wilderness in Golan) plus weapons through Jordanian and Saudi proxies were the most help the Pentagon dared to give the opposition while still avoiding excessive escalation with Russia.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 136