Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 191280 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #1965 on: February 11, 2018, 12:36:45 pm »

AFAIK, the Obama admin never bombed the regime in response to the various gas attacks.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #1966 on: February 11, 2018, 12:47:18 pm »

I looked and it seems you're right, that's an exclusively Israeli thing.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: February 11, 2018, 01:15:46 pm »

I looked and it seems you're right, that's an exclusively Israeli thing.

Not quite. Israeli repeatedly striked Syria, but never really as an answer to gas attacks. Israel has always been concerned about Hizbullah and other Iran-supported militias getting stronger as a results of the conflict, and especially about Iran using Syria to send weapons to Hizbullah in Lebanon. They never hid the fact that this was the reason for their strikes.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make love not war

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: February 11, 2018, 01:35:23 pm »

At this point I'm more inclined to believe that our beloved American overlords needed another liberation in the Middle East and needed a pretext. After all, chemical weapons are a classic for fabricating a good 'ole war.

If they wanted to do it, they would do it on beginning (not now anymore as russia are there now). Hack there where even some preparation to do it when they send their fleet back in 2013

USS Nimitz carrier group heads to Syria 'should we be needed'
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2013/0902/USS-Nimitz-carrier-group-heads-to-Syria-should-we-be-needed
But they need this propaganda machine so they have moral right in public view to back all kinds of rebel groups and terrorist against syrian government. You need to make them look bad as much as possible.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:37:36 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1970 on: February 12, 2018, 07:51:21 am »

If they wanted to do it, they would do it on beginning (not now anymore as russia are there now). Hack there where even some preparation to do it when they send their fleet back in 2013

USS Nimitz carrier group heads to Syria 'should we be needed'
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2013/0902/USS-Nimitz-carrier-group-heads-to-Syria-should-we-be-needed
But they need this propaganda machine so they have moral right in public view to back all kinds of rebel groups and terrorist against syrian government. You need to make them look bad as much as possible.
Not only that, they needed to justify why they were attacking the Syrian state forces instead of ISIS, with the knowledge that this would aid ISIS's expansion. It's no surprise that the moment the US works with Syria instead of working to destroy it, ISIS disintegrates

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: February 12, 2018, 01:10:43 pm »

Mad Max
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Make love not war

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: February 12, 2018, 01:34:42 pm »

Do those launchers even work in a sandstorm*? And that is a sandstorm I'm seeing there, and not the surface of Mars, right?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: February 12, 2018, 01:48:32 pm »

Do those launchers even work in a sandstorm*? And that is a sandstorm I'm seeing there, and not the surface of Mars, right?

Yes, and yes. Rebel groups often use it for offensive. In 2015 Nusra used a massive sandstorm and manage to occupy Abu Duhur airbase in Idlib, which had long been under siege.
Make love not war

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1974 on: February 12, 2018, 06:09:54 pm »

Atmospheric a/f

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: February 13, 2018, 11:20:52 am »

One of the US intelligence great fears have come true.

According to Israel, the Iranian drone that was shot down past saturday, was a copy of the US RQ-170 Sentinel.

Seven years ago, a US drone of the type was captured by Iran, which claimed it had hacked it, while US said it went off course over Afghanistan and ended up over Iran because of technical problems. Ever since, US intelligence has feared Iran would be able to reverse engineer and copy it. So now apparently they did.
It was even considered to bomb the drone's crash site in Iran, to prevent Iran from salvaging it. I think some folks up high in the chain of command now wish they had.

The RQ-170 is so highly classified in the US, that not even a photograph of it has ever been released.
The drone can operate at extremely high altitudes, and is very hard to detect by radar.
Thanks to these properties, it was a main asset in the 2011 special forces action against Bin Laden, in Pakistan. Pakistan radar couldn't pick it up.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/de-neergeschoten-iraanse-drone-die-israel-binnendrong-was-kopie-van-topgeheim-amerikaanse-toestel~a4569371/
https://youtu.be/GbDpADKAzmw
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: February 13, 2018, 11:29:55 am »

Did anybody think that Iran wouldn't copy it? And they probably are wishing that they had obliberated the crash site so that all the Iranians would have to work with are mere molecules.

No surprise that Iran made a big deal out of obtaining it, even taunted Obama by saying that they'd give him models of the drone and could even choose his favorite color.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: February 13, 2018, 12:00:05 pm »

Well, it look the same, but who knows if they managed to copy the electronics and materials that go into it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09:50 pm »

I am surprised the US didn't pack each of those drones with explosives in order to prevent salvage.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:57 pm »

I am surprised the US didn't pack each of those drones with explosives in order to prevent salvage.

Why? That's a lot of dead weight and risk for little benefits. Most of the time if it's shot down you don't expect much of it to remain anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 136