Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 191721 times)

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #510 on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:48 am »

That's some pretty terrible news, if only Libyans would stop fighting each other and at least retake that town, then they can get back to slaughtering each other.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #511 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:07 am »

Crossposting from the middle-east thread.

And all of a sudden, out of left field, ISIS has taken a town in Libya.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/world/isis-libya/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
It seems they've acquired the dreaded Ultra-nationalistic Teleport technology. [/joke]
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 30, 2014, 12:10:06 pm »

First one, wrong. The Vikings did, although China is claiming credit. The Vikings still got here before the year China is claiming.

Second one, huh. Maybe? I believe whoever it was who discovered it used mathematics to determine the angle of the sun relative to the Earth(what latitude is), and didn't that happen at a time when the Muslim world had far better rates of literacy and mathematics than Europe?

Third, no, no, hell no.

Fourth... not going to touch that.

Fifth, err, yes, yes it is.

(No, I did not read any of those links)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 30, 2014, 12:32:08 pm »

First one - Was not America initially populated by a wave of migration from Asia some time around 15000 years ago?

Second one - pretty sure it was an Egyptian Greek by the name of Eratosthenes in the Hellenic period who used a nice bit of trigonometry on the angles cast by shadows to determine the curvature of the earth

Erogdan is sounding a lot like these comedy sketches, from the BBC programme "Goodness Gracious Me" which ran in the late 90's/early 2000's...
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 30, 2014, 01:32:15 pm »

The sad thing is, Turkey is currently in NATO, despite doing pretty much everything it can to support jihadists.
._.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 30, 2014, 02:31:30 pm »

This forum is also a part of "social media".

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 01, 2014, 04:54:35 pm »

This is pretty funny. it seems that winning against the iraqi army was so easy, probably because it didn't exist the way many thought it had.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/analysis/2014/12/02/Iraq-s-ghost-army-units-persisted-for-years-analysts.html

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 01, 2014, 04:56:08 pm »

Corruption though it is, it still serves to inflate the military's apparent size to observers and make the country seem stronger. Not a terrible idea in such a dangerous area.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 01, 2014, 09:00:13 pm »

Returned Dutch jihadist convicted to three years of prison. (Google Translate)

Google translate is pretty bad at translating Dutch :P

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 02, 2014, 08:03:24 pm »

This is pretty funny. it seems that winning against the iraqi army was so easy, probably because it didn't exist the way many thought it had.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/analysis/2014/12/02/Iraq-s-ghost-army-units-persisted-for-years-analysts.html

Middle Eastern regular army's are pretty much always like that, although the Iraqi Rabbit Army was especially bad, it looks like.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 02, 2014, 08:11:11 pm »

Middle Eastern regular army's are pretty much always like that, although the Iraqi Rabbit Army was especially bad, it looks like.

I wonder if that contributed to the US miscalculating the arnys actual strength when we left? Seems like we overestimated how strong the army was that we left behind.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:13:55 pm by smjjames »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 03, 2014, 01:09:16 am »

I don't think the US was that stupid. they had intelligence that told them exactly what shape the iraqi army is actually in but the obama administration couldn't retract its statements and promises about getting out of iraq and couldn't spend the time nor money that was needed to make the iraqi army what it should have been. you just can't approach the american public and say: "Sorry guys, we just wasted a small nation annual budget worth of your tax money in a good for nothing ghost army, so we will need to wait another 5 years and spend a few more billions of your tax money to make a proper army this time before i can fulfill my promises and gain enough political credits to get reelected".

The US probably knew but greatly underestimated the threats iraq would face so were happy to just let them try and handle things on their own, even with their known good for nothing ghost army.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 03, 2014, 02:13:58 am »

I think the US also underestimated the extant of the problem: they're not just used to dealing with corruption and embezzlement on that scale.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 136