Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 191616 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #600 on: February 06, 2015, 11:54:59 am »

Vilanat, those people were arrested 9 years ago, and condemned in a court of law. Jordan was actually trying to trade them for the pilot. Since they won't get the pilot back, it might be logical to stop delaying the execution.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #601 on: February 06, 2015, 12:08:09 pm »

I would like to point out that if, say, the US executed two terrorists who had been tried and convicted in a civilian court of law,  I would not be upset, the majority of US citizens would not be upset, and very few people would think that now , the US has crossed the line. Observe the response to the news that prosecutors were seeking the death penalty for the Boston Bomber, and remember that he at least had a sympathetic story.

Also, Jordan's government have denied the rumors about the King flying a combat flight himself, and I think they are pretty silly rumors anyway. Hell, if it was Obama people would say his office leaked the rumors themselves to make him look tough.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:28:47 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 06, 2015, 12:16:11 pm »

The rumors about him personally flying a plane, that is. Not really clear from your post alone.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 06, 2015, 12:30:42 pm »

The rumors about him personally flying a plane, that is. Not really clear from your post alone.
Yes, sorry; I'm posting from my phone this weekend and will probably make more errors.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 06, 2015, 03:37:07 pm »

Now ISIS is claiming that one of the Jordan airstrikes killed an US hostage, with no real proof looks like.

I doubt Jordan would really have known where the hostage was anyway and I wouldn't put it past ISIS to move the hostage somewhere that they knew was going to be bombed.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 06, 2015, 04:01:17 pm »

Way back in the day and it still can be a thing now, warrior-leaders can be considered inspiring and what-not.  Kinda like a rapper trying to get credentials by going to jail or something stupid, either way, there are people that will eat that up.

Not as awesome/reckless as charging into the fray on horseback... but I reckon flying a jet and bombing a marker on the radar is at least something... and doesn't carry a huge amount of risk... well, depending on the anti-air capabilities of ISIS.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 09, 2015, 09:10:55 am »

You know, as much of a PR attempt as claiming that the american hostage was killed by the airstrike is (and to keep the media attention up), I don't see it helping them in the longer run because if she is actually alive, all that does is paint them even deeper into the hole of being liars that are not to be trusted.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 09, 2015, 04:14:55 pm »

How much of the propaganda side of this war do you think is mostly american propaganda. And with the 5 eyes starting to fight IS on the internet trenches how much propaganda do you think they will use to drown out the islamic propaganda machine?
I havnt read all the posts here so Im most probably reiterating.
But I heard about the five eyes thing recently.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 09, 2015, 04:56:47 pm »

I personally haven't seen much anti IS propaganda, only one video showing members of the group getting together to pick sex slaves which was disgusting, on the other hand I've seen like 2 ISIS videos but there are a lot more videos out there but I'm just not that inetersted in watching them because they mostly show executions and all that gruesome shit they're doing.
So either US propaganda is difficult to find or ISIS is much more focused on propaganda.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 09, 2015, 05:08:15 pm »

If you define it as anything that portraits ISIS as a bunch of insane nutbags, basically everything is US propaganda. ISIS doesn't need any help in making enemies.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:00 pm »

A lot of it can be safely chalked up to the "If it bleeds it leads" aspect of news. Sensational news gets reported more often and more thoroughly then anything else, and people tend to run with it.

Oh, that reminds me: Fox News put the video of the Jordanian being burned alive on their site in the video's entirety. After watching it, I: A) think that ISIS has greatly improved their already solid video-making skills, and B) recommend not watching it.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 10, 2015, 08:12:35 am »

A lot of it can be safely chalked up to the "If it bleeds it leads" aspect of news. Sensational news gets reported more often and more thoroughly then anything else, and people tend to run with it.

Oh, that reminds me: Fox News put the video of the Jordanian being burned alive on their site in the video's entirety. After watching it, I: A) think that ISIS has greatly improved their already solid video-making skills, and B) recommend not watching it.

I watched it when it was uploaded on youtube, I reported it after it was over but I haven't checked if its down yet or not, it probably is, while I was watching I was torn apart between being disgusted by what they're doing to the guy and being proud to hear that my fellow country men were the ones doing the bombing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 10, 2015, 02:53:57 pm »

You know, as much of a PR attempt as claiming that the american hostage was killed by the airstrike is (and to keep the media attention up), I don't see it helping them in the longer run because if she is actually alive, all that does is paint them even deeper into the hole of being liars that are not to be trusted.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31375445
But White House spokesman Josh Earnest said regardless of the cause, ultimately it was IS who was responsible for her death because they were the ones holding her.

"That means they are responsible for her safety and her well-being. And they are therefore responsible for her death," he said.
If she was actually killed in a Jordanian air strike, it is also partly Jordan's fault.  In my opinion anyways.  (I reckon indiscriminate bombing of ISIS targets is pretty popular these days.)
Alternatively, they can try to spin it as ISIS using her as a human shield and chalk it up that way, if she was actually killed in a Jordanian air strike.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 10, 2015, 03:14:20 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31375445
But White House spokesman Josh Earnest said regardless of the cause, ultimately it was IS who was responsible for her death because they were the ones holding her.

"That means they are responsible for her safety and her well-being. And they are therefore responsible for her death," he said.
If she was actually killed in a Jordanian air strike, it is also partly Jordan's fault.  In my opinion anyways.  (I reckon indiscriminate bombing of ISIS targets is pretty popular these days.)
Alternatively, they can try to spin it as ISIS using her as a human shield and chalk it up that way, if she was actually killed in a Jordanian air strike.

I did say IF she wasn't actually killed.

As far as it being a Jordanian airstrike that killed her, I doubt that they knew of her location, so I don't give them a massive amount of blame.

Perhaps they could have checked their and other intelligence sources on where hostage locations likely were, but we're never going to know whether they did or not. At least publically anyway.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:19:13 pm by smjjames »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 10, 2015, 04:07:10 pm »

I can only imagine being killed in an airstrike is what anyone in the hands of ISIS hopes happens to them...
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 136