Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 189635 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Obama just approved airstrikes on IS in Iraq, to protect American forces, and assist in evacuating refugees.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:51:47 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:38:36 am »

i assume by is you mean isis that group thats been taking over all those citys

anyway hm seems reasonable the u.s do favour air strikes on the other hand given that isis has taken over so many citys many of there places of operations would be in civilian heavy areas where it would be unwise to drop bombs
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:47:41 am »

They change names a lot. They were ISIS (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria), then changed/merged to ISIL (Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant), and now they wish to be called IS (Islamic State)

anyway hm seems reasonable the u.s do favour air strikes on the other hand given that isis has taken over so many citys many of there places of operations would be in civilian heavy areas where it would be unwise to drop bombs
I think the world has been too focussed on Russia/Ukraine, and of late, also Israel, to notice the speed with which IS has been conquering territory. Only now that footage of atrocities, and a complete lack of respect for any fomal War Conventions come out to the public, awareness is slowly starting to rise that something *real bad* is happening there.

While I abhor war, I think IS is one of those things the UN and UN security Council were created for. This group is as violent, and genocidal as the nazis, and should be stopped at all cost.

EDIT: Vice News managed to get a reporter be allowed by IS to film them for a while. This is part one of his report. Beware, some very graphical images present. Not kidding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bsCZzpmbEcs
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:06:57 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:01:04 am »

They change names a lot. They were ISIS (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria), then changed/merged to ISIL (Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant), and now they wish to be called IS (Islamic State)

I think the world has been too focussed on Russia/Ukraine, and of late, also Israel, to notice the speed with which IS has been conquering territory. Only now that footage of atrocities, and a complete lack of respect for any fomal War Conventions come out to the public, awareness is slowly starting to rise that something *real bad* is happening there.

While I abhor war, I think IS is one of those things the UN and UN security Council were created for. This group is as violent, and genocidal as the nazis, and should be stopped at all cost.

EDIT: Vice News managed to get a reported be allowed by IS to film them for a while. This is part one of his report. Beware, some very graphical images present. Not kidding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bsCZzpmbEcs
indeed
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 05:18:36 am »

Fuckit, let me go get some tan spray paint for my baby and talk to reenlistment.

More seriously, I'd say that ISIS is damn sure the kind of group that could be worthwhile to fight force on force. Obviously, they deserve some more light in their system.

((Also, even more seriously, not going to reenlist. Getting stop lossed would be so much cooler, especially from a financial perspective.))
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 05:44:37 am »

They also took a city in Lebanon.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 06:14:53 am »

My only question is why it has taken so long for this to come to this - the situation with ISIS as a rouge body committing acts of horrific violence against civilians is one that stands out as one that the UN security council has a clear mandate to act on with air strikes as a minimum, not that I expect boots on the ground, just enough air attacks to allow the Iraqi forces to deal with ISIS. Of course, the US military featuring the traditional allies was always going to do the heavy lifting, but new seems to be doing so unilaterally.
This is a blank sig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:31:34 am »

Honestly it isn't like they haven't hit highly populated areas with bombs to stop a few enemies before.

Then again you said unwise not "unlikely". xD

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

What puzzles me is, that for instance here in the Netherlands, for the past few weeks we have had 1000s of muslims, and general pro-Palestinian groups protesting at our government buildings a few times a week, demanding our government makes a firm statement against Isreali agression.
At one time even ISIS flags were brought out.

Why do I not see these 1000s of muslims protesting at our same government buildings, asking for UN intervention agains IS?
Do they not mind their ancient mosques, and even the tomb of Jonah, who is a recognized, and important prophet according to the Qu'ran, being labelled heretic, and destroyed?
Do they not mind their muslim brothers being slaughtered by IS?
In my country where out of 17 million population, nearly 2 million are muslim, I find it eerie to hear so very little condemning sounds, in the public debate, from our muslim community, against IS.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

It's mostly Shia tombs and artifacts being burned. Not Sunni, who are the majority world wide.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As well could be typical news manipulation as well.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, it seems the world's media is only now catching up on how bad ISIS is. Then, there is also the fact that the Netherlands arguably already take a hard line against ISIS, considering it a terrorist groups and all.

And then yeah, people tends to care more about their ethnic kins. Sunni care more about Israel murdering Sunnis than about ISIS murdering Yazidis. Conversely, I've seen quite a few Kurds complaining that Israel gets too much attention and that we should focus on ISIS.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

At one time even ISIS flags were brought out.
That seems strange considering that ISIS would never support a group that collaborates with Hezbollah.
Why do I not see these 1000s of muslims protesting at our same government buildings, asking for UN intervention agains IS?
Do they not mind their ancient mosques, and even the tomb of Jonah, who is a recognized, and important prophet according to the Qu'ran, being labelled heretic, and destroyed?
Do they not mind their muslim brothers being slaughtered by IS?
In my country where out of 17 million population, nearly 2 million are muslim, I find it eerie to hear so very little condemning sounds, in the public debate, from our muslim community, against IS.
I don't think it's hard to see why Muslims would be reluctant to support another western invasion of Iraq, considering that the last one took us to this point.  It may be the only feasible solution now though.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

maybe after libya and syria people will learn that fixing what works fine only leads to a shitstorm...

ptw, by the by

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Yeah, because Libya and Syria was working so well.
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 136