Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 353460 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2490 on: January 19, 2017, 10:22:44 am »

Inb4 lock

That is not living which can eternal lie, and with strange years even hype may die
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: January 19, 2017, 11:16:35 am »

I really don't get why people here feel that they need to jump in and lock the thread or say 'Now that's the end of it!' when they dislike what people are talking about/want a different discussion. It's the only thing I dislike about B12.

People are talking about what they want to talk about - that can be because it helps them work out what went wrong, constructively vent their annoyances, or maybe even gain insight into how they can avoid similar pitfalls in their development. As long as they're not being abusive (which no one here is) or being purposefully offensive/annoying (again, no one here is) then there's no harm to it. It's a public forum, part of the price you pay for voicing your comments is that others can too.

Locking stuff/shouting 'end of discussion' to everything you dislike is either just being childish, or somehow claiming that your view matters more.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2492 on: January 19, 2017, 11:20:24 am »

Agreed. It's even more bizarre given that we were discussing a recent happening. We were on topic and talking about some information that just came out; so far as I can tell that is the purpose of this thread. If the discussion doesn't interest someone, they can easily refrain from clicking on/reading the thread.

Since the OP has not locked the thread I guess we can continue.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:00 pm »

Hey, more poetry! *Waves thick, shiny lock menacingly*
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: January 19, 2017, 02:50:14 pm »

Locking stuff/shouting 'end of discussion' to everything you dislike is either just being childish, or somehow claiming that your view matters more.

I've definitely seen that. Heck one time the owner of a thread basically did "OK YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!! I AM RIGHT!!! Now you cannot discuss that particular thing anymore!" then when someone contradicted them by showing actual evidence rather then supposition, they went ballistic.

Lock a thread or end a discussion... Don't use it as final word.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: January 19, 2017, 04:26:03 pm »

I've definitely seen that. Heck one time the owner of a thread basically did "OK YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!! I AM RIGHT!!! Now you cannot discuss that particular thing anymore!" then when someone contradicted them by showing actual evidence rather then supposition, they went ballistic.

Lock a thread or end a discussion... Don't use it as final word.

Agreed, Bay12 is pretty bad for it - I feel it's mainly because the discussion is usually so civil, so people don't have a way of getting their anger out (as they would in a normal forum by getting aggressive/shouty) so the only thing left to do is to tell people to stop talking.declaring a discussion over.

Locking threads is just as bad in my opinion (unless it's gotten way too argumentative/aggressive). It's doing the above, whilst also saying that you've decided that no one can talk about the entire issue anymore because you dislike the way it's going. It's just immature really.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: January 19, 2017, 04:37:36 pm »

Eehh... I wouldn't blame anyone for locking a thread they made that's starting to get prickly, tbh, or that they just don't want to be involved in anymore. Even if it's not immediately aggressive, if it's something the OP doesn't want to keep keeping an eye on, locking is exactly what they should do -- at best it saves toady a little effort, at worst it just means someone else gets to open a thread on the subject.

Thread creator's expected to kinda' set the tone/pseudo-moderate the thread (if only by calling in toady or somethin'), so if they're not there or not getting involved, letting go the reigns is more or less right practice. If they think the discussion's better held elsewhere/under differently management (so to speak) for pretty much whatever reason, shuttin' the thread down is probably one of the things t'do. If there's still interest in the discussion and it hasn't been seriously hammered on, another thread can be made.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: January 19, 2017, 04:53:20 pm »

It's a two way street. Look at the Starbound thread. Some people (and I include myself in that) post in that thread basically just to reaffirm they hate the game, think the devs screwed them, etc....Some people have an axe to grind and threads are the place they do it. There is a certain limit to open discussion when some people aren't really there to discuss anything, they just want to vent.

The TWS thread definitely falls into that category, because people have plenty of reasons to feel X about KDG and express their opinion.

That said, I hate the "You're not allowed to say X in this thread anymore" attempts at stifling opinions as well. A thread by its very nature invites different opinions, and trying to turn them into safe zones is disillusioned at best, intellectually dishonest at worst.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: January 19, 2017, 05:28:35 pm »

Yes nenjin but the Starbound thread RAN on hate.

To the extent that when someone made a Starbound thread that banned that sort of negativity so people could speak... not only did it die, but it was mostly trolled for banning it.

So... the Starbound thread isn't a good example. Since there really weren't people who wanted to talk about it positively and those that did found it ridiculous to even ban negativity.

In fact the majority of people complaining about the negativity in the Starbound thread really had two complaints.
1) That it kept the Starbound thread high in the thread count and they just didn't like seeing it.
and
2) They posted in the thread, didn't want to post in it anymore, but whenever someone posts in it... it updates them...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:30:27 pm by Neonivek »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: January 19, 2017, 05:34:36 pm »

There's several threads I keep getting updates on that I have no interest in participating in. I click "mark as read" and move on.

I don't think anyone here has been particularly rude (I've certainly been much more of an asshole in the past than this thread has been) so I don't see a reason to shut down discussion...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: January 19, 2017, 06:19:20 pm »

If you do lock it, I have a final comment.
Though, needless to say, we haven't yet gotten what we were to receive,
But as it seems, the developer is still working on the project.
Maybe one day, a few years from now, we'll have something resembling what we were promised.
Maybe one day.

And with that, the thread is locked. PM me if you want it reopened.
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: January 25, 2017, 10:42:44 am »

CTHULU FHTAGN!
Reading a thinner book

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: January 25, 2017, 10:46:26 am »

Huge backer email today full of screenshots and overviews of various changes to the systems.

But here is the top paragraph:

Before I dig into the details let me assure you that you will have your hands on That Which Sleeps in the next few months.  Now that I've completely gutted the prior ambitious simulation we're left with a much more tried and true solution to robust AI needs - meaning that at worst case we're looking at the AI making some dumb decisions as opposed to the entire simulation collapsing.  The silver lining is that in the time that has passed I've spent a lot of time refining some of the other components as well as continuing to cram the game full of content. 

Sounds like we'll be getting something after all!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: January 25, 2017, 10:48:37 am »

It's doomed.

fake edit

Oh shit, I'm a week late! :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: January 25, 2017, 10:51:37 am »

I don't want to rain doom and gloom on this or encourage optimism.

I'll believe it when backers have an at least somewhat playable prototype in their hands.  It'd be nice if that happened.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 210