Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 355188 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2895 on: March 10, 2018, 11:58:36 am »

Kind of skipping around the videos, but he's just talking over a UI. Still no actual sign that a game exists.

This is way more intriguing to me than it should be. What the heck's going on behind the scenes here?
Probably got some more FTC complaints.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 10, 2018, 12:00:23 pm »

I just want to see some mid and late gameplay.  Every time he has started a gameplay video he starts at begining gameplay, but never continues it to show what late game looks like.

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 10, 2018, 03:18:15 pm »

Well itīs an interesting video for those that want to imagine what the game could work liek since you can deduce a lot of gameplay from the UI and stats shown. Also it shows the scope which campaigns will take since he mentions that battles can take anywhere between 3 and 100 turns, so a lot of turn skiping will be involved. Also how trade and assets work.

It does however not show any actual gameplay, so if you were waiting for that you can skip these videos. However IF he does any actual follow ups it might be good to watch them anyway to know whatīs going on later.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: March 10, 2018, 08:05:03 pm »

Huh, on skimming through he doesn't even really mention the delay between video releases at all.
This is way more intriguing to me than it should be. What the heck's going on behind the scenes here?
Time dilation, I guess. Maybe it actually has been a week on his side.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 10, 2018, 08:32:34 pm »

Ah, this game. Gotten my money's worth of entertainment out of it already!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: March 10, 2018, 08:40:25 pm »

Kind of skipping around the videos, but he's just talking over a UI. Still no actual sign that a game exists.

Probably got some more FTC complaints.
The sentiment is overly pessimistic, but I wonder. The videos are very top-level design stuff without a lot of details, this thing affects that thing without giving actual ratios, average values, relation to gameplay, etc etc, and explaining each concept as it became relevant in a playthrough would have been a better way to do it besides. A lot of it also seems overly complex, so it's easier to believe he put it down on paper than wrote it in code, tested it a bunch, and nodded in satisfaction.

If he doesn't get an actual playthrough out soon, I think my vote's going for another mockup of the design decisions his game will totally use at some point in the future.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 10, 2018, 09:13:15 pm »

Quote from: IronyOwl link=topic=141997.msg7707943#msg7707943
If he doesn't get an actual playthrough out soon, I think my vote's going for another mockup of the design decisions his game will totally use at some point in the future.

Well, we will see in his next video 3 months later if he releases more gameplay footage or not.  My concern is that he didn't even give a time line for the next video, nor a kickstarter update.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: March 10, 2018, 09:30:51 pm »

Quote from: IronyOwl link=topic=141997.msg7707943#msg7707943

Well, we will see in his next video 3 months later if he releases more gameplay footage or not.  My concern is that he didn't even give a time line for the next video, nor a kickstarter update.
Refraining from giving a timeline is probably for the best, given how the last one worked out.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 11, 2018, 12:27:01 am »

Yup. Timeline is good, but in case of this developer, it's probably not the best idea since he never really respected it anyway. I will be optimistic and say working copy of the game will come eventually, because the concept really is too great to just die.... I just expect it to be around 2019.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 11, 2018, 12:31:13 am »

he should really refrain from posting anything
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 11, 2018, 04:26:31 am »

he should really refrain from posting anything

that is not playable.

It would be so easy, just release whatever he is clicking around in right now.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 12, 2018, 10:52:56 am »

Few things of note. There seem to be 24 turns to a year, so 100 turns is "just" about 4 years. Which doesn't strike me as unreasonable for some of the challenges with that time. It also makes sense from a game play perspective. It means small things of importance could be happening on each individual turn, punctuated with large discoveries or shifts spread much farther out. It's the type of game play you'd want a game like this to have.

This set of videos opened at 1402.4, which is 17 turns beyond where he stopped the last video. But! It's not the same session. Last video he ran with Inatha, and thus time he ran with Karth.

I would bet against these being design documents, and for there being something real that's there. I'd likely abstain from betting on the existence of a mid/late game, but if forced would probably place a small amount on there being one. It'd be nice to see a playthrough

EDIT: Belial, apparently. Not Karth.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:25:21 am by Xgamer4 »
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 12, 2018, 01:56:59 pm »

The thing that struck me while watching the videos is how complete the game looks - there doesn't appear to be any dummy text for anything. Every resource, character, option... everything has its full flavor text.

I feel like perhaps part of the problem is that every time the dev decides to change some systems, he spends a month coming up with flavor text.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 12, 2018, 10:04:57 pm »

That which sleeps yawns and shifts.  The ground trembles and the air itself shivers in anticipation.
The denizens of the land gather yet again, emotions of all kinds run through its peoples.
Is the time of awakening nigh?  Or will that which sleeps slumber still, content with its dreams?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:53:39 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 12, 2018, 10:16:02 pm »

After a lifetime away from civilization, the Prophet returns from the Great Seal, bringing good news of the coming reckoning. Most decent people ignore him, disgusted or merely tired, but a few are enchanted by the shining and fell things he's brought back. Before any questions can be asked or rituals planned, the Prophet leaves town unannounced, to continue his Great Work.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 210