Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357588 times)

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #780 on: October 13, 2014, 06:46:38 pm »

Personally, the initial three devlogs really helped me decide to back TWS.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 14, 2014, 12:57:10 am »

One take on Death God would be Hades-like, a god who was cheated out of ruling the realm of the living (in his opinion) and has been trying (and failing)to build a better version of the "real" world with blackjack and hookers. He might not be Death as an universal force, but rather a soul thief, who steals mortals after their death and forces them to endlessly replicate their living lives for his amusement, pretending this shadow copy to be the real world.

Basically, as an Old One, it would be a tragic story more than a sinister one, since the god accidentally destroys everything it touches in its attempt to claim what is rightfully his. A slightly retarded, quite insane fallen god with a lot of power who hates all the "living gods" for originally cheating him of his fair share and imprisoning him for all eternity.

Edit: Think of it as a horror movie character living in a basement filled with dolls, then treating those dolls as his family. Or more like some monsterous brute kidnapping people, taking them to his basement and making them act like his family. At the same time creepy and terrible, but tragic in its own way. Then give that brute the power to try and make everyone in the world his dolls, without the understanding to realize it would destroy the world he so badly wants to belong to.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:03:43 am by Majestic7 »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 14, 2014, 01:55:41 am »

Something about the Hades comparison made me really, REALLY want to play as a shadow version of Odin. Your followers would seek valor in any form, and something about the Old One's mindset would eventually turn your agents and minions delusional to the point that, at endgame, you would be re-enacting a Ragnarok that you have inadvertently caused. You could really play it up with Valkyries and "cursed treasures" that subtly sway warriors to your side.

Or make it a Paul Muad'dib thing, too, I guess. I like Odin better than the Kwisatz-Haderach though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 14, 2014, 03:18:51 am »

New stretch goals:
Graphics: I'm really interested in them almost just for this because the graphical upgrades seem like they will enhance gameplay. If i'm able at a glance to tell what goes wrong/right, how much a town is damaged without having to go on it it makes for faster decision making. Plus, before taking action i can always look in depth at the PoI and its surroundings, graphical cues just allow me to do a rough estimate of how the things are going much quicker. I understand you already had this in game (looking at the video i can see icons showing hunger or some animations for war/plague) but enhancing that aspect and providing more nuances can only help (and if it does also look awesome, great!)
The last aspect of these graphical enhancements that makes me want them is that it will allow for better modding too. I have absolutely no doubt we will see very interesting fan content being created and if that can be supported by better/more variation in stock graphics, i'm all for it.

Now as for new agents/races/Old one, obviously i am very interested at seeing what other twisted thing we can unleash on the world. As for the first new agent poll (getting ahead of the funding but well, 9K$ more seems a pretty reasonable guess as to how high the funding will go), I must say i am the most interested by the Biomancer (Creating Uruk-Hais? Mutating dogs into zerglings? yes please!), then the False One.
I felt like the Devourer was not really well shown. While i have a pretty solid idea as to how the two other will play out, i have no idea on how he will.  And, while i can already imagine some really interesting plays emerging with the false one and the biomancer all i can see with the devourer is a kind of pet relationship, tending to him when he is weak, feeding him and then waiting to unleash him on my fated enemy while hoping he succeeds. Now what would make him interesting is if he had the possibilty to overthrow you if you feed him too much (like using him to defeat an enemy old one for example). Is it too early too discuss this or do you have a bit more to share on him?

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 14, 2014, 06:54:44 am »

Yeah, it's been a point of confusion for us - the first time we assumed it was just an aberration but then the second time (and with other updates) it was a pretty clear correlation.  I'm the kind of person that wants to be fully transparent and just stream everything I do, but if my mumbling over alpha assets is going to cost us a stretch goal I'd rather not. 

However, once the KS is over we intend to stick to at the minimum a 15 minute dev log a week (barring the Holidays)

I believe that those that de-pledge are actually from the lowest tiers. For those that like the genre, they might think that it's a good game for 10$, but then as they notice the videos and the place-holder arts they flee like cowards. Those aren't actually fully interested in the game since a little bit of investigation leads to the knowledge that a lot of things are temporarily. It's like a perfect bet where you can win something quite good without risking much, but if they notice something strange they instantly drop out of the game.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #785 on: October 14, 2014, 07:36:42 am »

New stretch goals:
Graphics: I'm really interested in them almost just for this because the graphical upgrades seem like they will enhance gameplay. If i'm able at a glance to tell what goes wrong/right, how much a town is damaged without having to go on it it makes for faster decision making. Plus, before taking action i can always look in depth at the PoI and its surroundings, graphical cues just allow me to do a rough estimate of how the things are going much quicker. I understand you already had this in game (looking at the video i can see icons showing hunger or some animations for war/plague) but enhancing that aspect and providing more nuances can only help (and if it does also look awesome, great!)
The last aspect of these graphical enhancements that makes me want them is that it will allow for better modding too. I have absolutely no doubt we will see very interesting fan content being created and if that can be supported by better/more variation in stock graphics, i'm all for it.

Now as for new agents/races/Old one, obviously i am very interested at seeing what other twisted thing we can unleash on the world. As for the first new agent poll (getting ahead of the funding but well, 9K$ more seems a pretty reasonable guess as to how high the funding will go), I must say i am the most interested by the Biomancer (Creating Uruk-Hais? Mutating dogs into zerglings? yes please!), then the False One.
I felt like the Devourer was not really well shown. While i have a pretty solid idea as to how the two other will play out, i have no idea on how he will.  And, while i can already imagine some really interesting plays emerging with the false one and the biomancer all i can see with the devourer is a kind of pet relationship, tending to him when he is weak, feeding him and then waiting to unleash him on my fated enemy while hoping he succeeds. Now what would make him interesting is if he had the possibilty to overthrow you if you feed him too much (like using him to defeat an enemy old one for example). Is it too early too discuss this or do you have a bit more to share on him?

I completely agree with the graphical element - I would love to see this kind of feedback on the map.  Being able to just "at a glance" see the state of the world is a huge benefit to the type of grand strategy game where you are equally invested throughout the world.  I also think it's a borderline prerequisite to making the much larger maps feasible.

Absolutely!  These agents were all fully specced out months but after determining the work it would be to get them into the game they were cut, so we can talk about them at all in depth.  The Devourer begins weak, and in a hungered state - when hungered he is difficult to control and may simply attack the next tier of power near him.  So wherever you "summon him" he will immediately attack the town and claim a random citizen.  He will then slowly begin to crave the next tier up, these tiers extend very far upward - in the end he can even threaten the gods with a divine mealtime.  However, this is balanced out by his only being able to target each tier once - then he must find a greater feast.  You can temper this rise with some care, allowing the Devourer to implant the artifact from the stars into a more powerful creature and slowly siphon off its energy, giving some of it to yourself instead.  This allows him to tactically weaken a Rival Old One or God for you to claim their power.

And yes, he may try and eat you.  Delicious....
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 14, 2014, 08:33:38 am »

Concerning de-pledging I was actually quite baffled when one of my friends (who I also got to back this) suggested that it opened up the option of de-pledging and/or pledging at a lower level when I mentioned that the Kickstarter had met it's goal. But I guessing his thinking isn't unique, there's probably a fair amount of people who pledge high and then lower the amount when the goal has been met, as a kind of providing "momentum" to the Kickstarter.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 14, 2014, 09:15:51 am »

This is early thinking as the game won't be finished for quite a while yet, but I was thinking of running some sort of Let's Play-style 'Let's Create in That Which Sleeps - Communal Scenario Creation' thing. The editor and mod tools are, frankly, at least half if not the majority reason I pledged. It'd be worldbuilding with the bonus of getting an actual game scenario out of it. Contributors could think up PoIs, nations, heroes and leaders, everything, for me to add in (or we could pass the 'save', if there is one, around, each adding something in turn, I suppose).

The end product could be released and Let's Played normally - I imagine people would be rooting for their own heroes and nations every time it was played and generally interested in seeing how their creations interact.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 14, 2014, 11:13:41 am »

Could you give us projections on when the dev logs will be uploaded? Assuming they are already completed in advance and is just waiting for uploading at appropriate time.

We actually go back and modify them quite a bit based on feedback and new questions received - we're being very... conservative with videos now because the last two videos that went up we saw a not insignificant amount of de-pledging.  I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that we're showing off some very raw assets, especially considering updates without videos see no de-pledging - so people aren't taking the time to read that these are still alpha/beta assets and NOT the new updated graphics.  We are definitely posting Parts 2 and 3 this week, but we may just post the other Dev Logs onto youtube (with links here), I think they are mostly for the forum audiences as you guys are the people most interested in reviewing mechanics.

That is unfortunate. If it's of any condolence, the initial three dev log videos had huge influence on me getting interested in the game, and I sincerely hope you can at least upload the rest as private and only post links here or something; my intent is to pledge for Beta Tester tier but my plan was to wait for rest of the videos before doing so. Of course I can afford to wait if the Paypal donation at your website is going to be open longer than the Kickstarter, but I do not recall any specific date and I rather avoid the uncertainty.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 14, 2014, 11:17:15 am »

Something I'm confused about when it comes to kickstarters is how important the initial boost of money into the stretch goals actually are, and what happens to these stretch goals if the money isn't made up for it. I honestly expected the money to peter out around the old one stretch goal and maybe get to the endless mode near the third week, not for it to explode like it did.
That said, if the money were to stop rolling in after the generation goal is met, what happens to those newer ones? Are we going to have to contend with a a relatively static map (at least compared to its full potential) or would these eventually find a way in way after the game actually comes out?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #790 on: October 14, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »

Something I'm confused about when it comes to kickstarters is how important the initial boost of money into the stretch goals actually are, and what happens to these stretch goals if the money isn't made up for it. I honestly expected the money to peter out around the old one stretch goal and maybe get to the endless mode near the third week, not for it to explode like it did.
That said, if the money were to stop rolling in after the generation goal is met, what happens to those newer ones? Are we going to have to contend with a a relatively static map (at least compared to its full potential) or would these eventually find a way in way after the game actually comes out?

It's tough to say "full potential" about the map because despite how successful our Kickstarter has been relative to how much we asked for, we are still looking for "low-hanging fruit" as much as possible with our assets.   I am sure that with the amount we have raised we will make a perfectly functional map that now also embraces the aesthetic of the game and has a lot of great mechanics that otherwise would not have been possible.  Still, there's always room for improvement - but we are lucky enough that the only improvements we'd be adding are now purely cosmetic.  The world will be close to living enough already without having trade routes or refugees, even if that might be a nice addition.

As for stretching a dollar to encompass these changes, I would imagine we might be able to get a few of the really powerful rituals into a more appropriate form - with the map overhaul the "Flying Citadel as an icon" is a little incongruous.

Could you give us projections on when the dev logs will be uploaded? Assuming they are already completed in advance and is just waiting for uploading at appropriate time.

We actually go back and modify them quite a bit based on feedback and new questions received - we're being very... conservative with videos now because the last two videos that went up we saw a not insignificant amount of de-pledging.  I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that we're showing off some very raw assets, especially considering updates without videos see no de-pledging - so people aren't taking the time to read that these are still alpha/beta assets and NOT the new updated graphics.  We are definitely posting Parts 2 and 3 this week, but we may just post the other Dev Logs onto youtube (with links here), I think they are mostly for the forum audiences as you guys are the people most interested in reviewing mechanics.

That is unfortunate. If it's of any condolence, the initial three dev log videos had huge influence on me getting interested in the game, and I sincerely hope you can at least upload the rest as private and only post links here or something; my intent is to pledge for Beta Tester tier but my plan was to wait for rest of the videos before doing so. Of course I can afford to wait if the Paypal donation at your website is going to be open longer than the Kickstarter, but I do not recall any specific date and I rather avoid the uncertainty.

We'll keep the PayPal donations up until the Beta, so don't feel the need to jump in until you're comfortable.  If you subscribe to our mailing list we'll send out a "list chance for PayPal" email before we shut it down.  You can sign up at www.kingdinosaurgames.com.

That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Romanul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 14, 2014, 03:29:28 pm »

Same here, the trailer made me pledge 10$. What really made me go a full 50$ (which is the huge for me, the most I paid for a game) were the dev logs video. I would have given even more if I had the money (which sadly, I do not).

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 14, 2014, 03:36:38 pm »

Bumped mine up to $75...really looking forward to this!

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 14, 2014, 03:42:04 pm »

I was just reading through the reddit forum and saw an interesting proposal; that the portraits of the heroes be dynamically generated with a simple set of hair, eyes, armour, colour scheme (skin and clothing) and whatnot that change during the course of the game to reflect whatever "journey" that hero has been going through. A mercenary that's been through a lot of battles and has lost faith (will) will have scars and ruined armour and whatnot. What are your thoughts on a system like that?

Also, since the endless simulation is now in, do you plan on having agents being able to level up like heroes (though through a different set rules), since they now have a reason, story wise, to grow older, wiser and more experienced within the now much longer time-frame of the game?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 14, 2014, 03:48:46 pm »

PTW
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 210