Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358684 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #825 on: October 16, 2014, 11:10:43 am »

Oh, my bad.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #826 on: October 16, 2014, 11:31:43 am »

They trademarked WAAAGH!TM?
Goddammit GW.

That is taking things to a whole new level
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 16, 2014, 11:54:07 am »

I'm sad The Devourer, my favourite, doesn't seem to be getting too much love. Ironically The False One is the Agent I least prefer at the moment, as I worry its very theme would make its use seem too pre-determined a.l.a. Sisyphus. The mechanics behind The Devourer may look simplistic, but I can see the monstrosity interacting with various factors to open up whole load of possibilities it could carry out.

If the "Terror-from-beneath" race makes it in (unfortunately another race I prefer the least ::)), will they have close affiliation with the Epoch? Since The Worm gave birth to all things subterranean, it's easy to assume they will very easily rally to call of their Mother barring substantial intervention.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 16, 2014, 12:39:50 pm »

... What Lovecraftian race is the Mindflayers supposed to be, exactly? The Star-Spawn? I suppose visually they have a resemblance what with the octopus-mouth...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 16, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »

I think pretty much everything with tentacles and mind-rending terror and/or madness is lovecraft's fingerprint.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 16, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »

GW tried to trademark/copyright Imperial Guard too. When that failed, they renamed them to something else, can't remember what the official name for them is nowadays.

Personally, I'm most interested in Biomancer, though the name is a little lame - something like Fleshweaver would be more fun. The thought of capturing heroes and molding them into unholy abominations is appealing.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 16, 2014, 01:18:48 pm »

Personally, I'm most interested in Biomancer, though the name is a little lame - something like Fleshweaver would be more fun. The thought of capturing heroes and molding them into unholy abominations is appealing.

this

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 16, 2014, 01:59:43 pm »

I agree, Fleshweaver sounds more epic.
I'm so interested in the biomancer, he would allow so many references to other games, uruk hais obviously, some kind of starcraft scenario with you as the zerg,WH40K tyranids, mass effect (bring humans to the reaper larva to "awaken", and huskifying everything), and even in stock the possibilities just look so great...

Side note: we've just crossed 58K, so one of the three is definitely coming!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:04:22 pm by Astfgl66 »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 16, 2014, 02:03:07 pm »

In the name of science! And I guess maybe medicine and progress too....
Yea, Biomancer is my first pick.  I would not mind the false one.
But... I think I like the idea of adding unique mechanics even more, so whichever Agent does more of that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 16, 2014, 02:32:51 pm »

Tough question for KDG, what will you be adding for the expansion agents that the game doesn't support now? I thought a bit about a Dr. Moreau style hybridizer who can to a remote POI, perform a series of long challenges at the end of each he receives a building, a progressively nicer minion, and can recruit more of that minion in the future. Or he can go to a town having trouble, perform shorter, noisier challenges, kill a bunch of folks and scare more, and get increasingly fine surgically augmented minions. How is the Biomancer different?(1)

I'm fond of her, then the False One, and the Devourer least.

For the new species, I like the Mind Flayers the best and shall name one Sam Starfall. After that the Minotaurs. It looks like they're filling a Noble Savage pushed to the edge role while the Orcs are the traditional Violent Savage poised to strike.(2) How does history explain the Minotaurs? Are they part of a broader group of animal-men? The Dragonkin don't do anything for me.

Three questions on procedural. Nations increase Strength by fighting. What sort of limits are there? A need to recharge between fights? Diminishing returns? Can you save the game an interesting point and turn it into a scenario? And will you support saving and backing up every few game years?

(1) Any chance of her creating distinct populations? How about in the endless game?
(2) Could an endless game have the Orcs as the overarching culture and, say, the Dwarfs pushed into the badlands.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #835 on: October 16, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »

In the name of science! And I guess maybe medicine and progress too....
Yea, Biomancer is my first pick.  I would not mind the false one.
But... I think I like the idea of adding unique mechanics even more, so whichever Agent does more of that.

All three add a fair amount of Effects, it depends on where you want to see those mechanics being created.  The False One will create additional intereactions with the Prophecy and the Chosen one, the Biomancer will add more hooks into races and elite units (and massive consumption of slaves), and the Devourer will add the wonderful EAT_OLD_ONE effect flag.

Tough question for KDG, what will you be adding for the expansion agents that the game doesn't support now? I thought a bit about a Dr. Moreau style hybridizer who can to a remote POI, perform a series of long challenges at the end of each he receives a building, a progressively nicer minion, and can recruit more of that minion in the future. Or he can go to a town having trouble, perform shorter, noisier challenges, kill a bunch of folks and scare more, and get increasingly fine surgically augmented minions. How is the Biomancer different?(1)

I'm fond of her, then the False One, and the Devourer least.

For the new species, I like the Mind Flayers the best and shall name one Sam Starfall. After that the Minotaurs. It looks like they're filling a Noble Savage pushed to the edge role while the Orcs are the traditional Violent Savage poised to strike.(2) How does history explain the Minotaurs? Are they part of a broader group of animal-men? The Dragonkin don't do anything for me.

Three questions on procedural. Nations increase Strength by fighting. What sort of limits are there? A need to recharge between fights? Diminishing returns? Can you save the game an interesting point and turn it into a scenario? And will you support saving and backing up every few game years?

(1) Any chance of her creating distinct populations? How about in the endless game?
(2) Could an endless game have the Orcs as the overarching culture and, say, the Dwarfs pushed into the badlands.

The Moreau analogy is apt, the major difference is that the Biomancer needs thousands upon thousands of people to truly create a new race.  Her other abilities pivot around lesser, but more powerful, beings.

Minotaurs have no inherent lore to their origin, they are one of the primal Elder Races that were birthed with the world - much of their culture has been lost due to their lacking the natural defensive terrain of the Elves and Dwarves and their lands were encroached upon.  We suggested Minotaurs to diversify the Tribal/Fringe elements of the world, and to add another point of local discord that has the weight of an entire race behind it.

Surprised no one is liking the Draconkin, fierce raiders that can migrate when challenged - raid from behind enemy lines to cut off supply and burn villages - a secret agenda given to them by mysterious creators. 

I can tell you what Procedural is like now, but keep in mind we wrote it in less than 2 days to act as a test so these rules are absolutely going to change.  National stats increase up to the government type limit, and determine who wins in a struggle over a POI - after winning or losing a battle the nations military is temporarily reduced but it returns to full strength very quickly. 

You can save it at ANY point and it generates a scenario file, that's how we decided to approach it without integrating it into the main map engine.  So the Proc Gen generates a scenario, which yo ucould then save, but which normally is then loaded by the main engine as the new scenario to be played.

1) She can create distinct populations, but not map races - they will always be a lesser component
2) It could certainly occur, though the Dwarves have a "retreat from the map" option which involves them plunging into the depths
That Which Sleeps

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 16, 2014, 03:58:23 pm »

Well, I like the Draconkin as much as the Minotaur, just for the modding possibilities alone. There's so many fantasy settings which incorporate the former, which is a strength as much as it is a weakness.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 16, 2014, 04:07:11 pm »

I'm going to put my votes for the Biomancer agent, then Dragonkin race, because dragons are awesome.

A few questions about precederal and endless; if we have the ability to make a scenario during the history of the world at any point, what's stopping us from making a scenario immediately, when everyone's underdeveloped and probably haven't even gotten out of their starting POI at that point and crushing everything right out of the gate (besides that it wouldn't be as fun that way)?
Also, are all the races thrown into the game at the same time at the start, or do they all show up at pre-determined, or randomized, points in history?
Is there an option to have these races have cultural traits that don't coincide with their stereotypes, so we could have the noble, civilized Orcs trying to stop the bloodthirsty Elf hordes and whatnot?

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 16, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »

So, it's been about a week since part 1 of devlog 4. Are the other bits still due out?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #839 on: October 16, 2014, 05:00:04 pm »

I'm going to put my votes for the Biomancer agent, then Dragonkin race, because dragons are awesome.

A few questions about precederal and endless; if we have the ability to make a scenario during the history of the world at any point, what's stopping us from making a scenario immediately, when everyone's underdeveloped and probably haven't even gotten out of their starting POI at that point and crushing everything right out of the gate (besides that it wouldn't be as fun that way)?
Also, are all the races thrown into the game at the same time at the start, or do they all show up at pre-determined, or randomized, points in history?
Is there an option to have these races have cultural traits that don't coincide with their stereotypes, so we could have the noble, civilized Orcs trying to stop the bloodthirsty Elf hordes and whatnot?

We currently limit your ability to start the game until you have reached your full power, so at that point the world will have sufficiently developed to some point - I'd imagine we'll be lifting that restriction after some testing, but as you say it may not be particularly fun unless you enabled your rivals.

You can configure each Age of procedural to spawn as you would like, but by default we have the Elder Races already placed at start with very high values, and then humans and other minor races spawn throughout the first age.  In subsequent ages the Humans begin to grow to outpace the Elder Races since they take much more frequent actions.  All of this is of course prone to change as it was only a quick prototype, though it works surprisingly well to simulate the feel of the world we were going for.

You can configure their culture and leader trait any way you'd like, and if you gave them a civilized culture other nations would see them as friendly as well.  It gets more tricky with government types, Orcs by default only have a few so either keep them with their more primitive structure (noble savages) or tack on a human government like a Monarchy, though some of the events may feel out of place.

So, it's been about a week since part 1 of devlog 4. Are the other bits still due out?

We talked on the forums about how the last video caused us to actually lose pledges (a not insignificant amount), for reasons unknown (alpha assets?) - we are still debating whether or not to post them during the KS.  Either way, we'll post them all on the backer forums right after the KS ends.
That Which Sleeps
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 210