Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 73897 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode - NEW! FEEDBACK NEEDED! :P
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 09:07:30 pm »

Its hermit. The creatures name is hermit. He does have the alcohol dependancy of a dwarf, and the graphic of a dwarf, so he might as well be one, but by Raw data, he is race:hermit.

I could in theory do a human, elf, gnome, etc -hermit, but I would need to make new creatures and set an option in the GUI for that. And alter all their stats. I heavily modified tissues, attributes, personality... hermits are completely overpowered when compared with a normal unit. So even if I make different hermit-species, it would be the same overpowered unit.

btw, he doesnt have profession graphics... or rather, yes, he does, but since he is always your only noble (hermit, lol) and does all noble labors, he always takes on the noble sprite. And since the noble is also the leader of the military squad (with one unit), he even looks like this when he is drafted into the military.

Oh my,I completely forgot: I didnt post the sprite. ^^

Here you go:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:10:25 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 09:25:12 pm »

Can there be a way for him to learn other skills? Or at least practice them? Also, how do you know which one will survive, so you can assign skills on embark?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 09:31:08 pm »

Honestly, I begin to like that imaginary friend idea. First of all it reminds me of Terry Pratchett, because there is a hermit with an imaginary friend, who truly exists. (and saves the hermits life), and second of all it avoids many stupid, silly things that can happen.

Hermit in hospital... too bad, no one can bring him food/water/crutch.
Hermit dodged on top of the wall... too bad, no one can build stairs for him.
Hermit dies by instakill/crazy/fire/something... imaginary friend has ability to revive him, sacrifing himself. Like a second chance, giving the player ONE mistake they might survive.

It also means you have twice the workforce.... could be a mid-game ability.

I might add some form of full-heal as well. People lose limbs too often. Maybe a health potion from the alchemist. something you can store away. That way he might drink it, even if he is too banged up to run reactions.

Can there be a way for him to learn other skills? Or at least practice them? Also, how do you know which one will survive, so you can assign skills on embark?
Other skills? He can learn any skill there is, just like any normal dwarf. Practice I have for combat skills atm. Social skills are probably not that important for a hermit. The rest you learn by doing. Medical skills are also pointless, he cant doctor on himself. 

You dont know which one will survive. You can either give all of them the same skills (costing points), or give them none. When I said that he has natural skills, I wasnt exaggerating.

Code: [Select]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MASONRY:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:CARPENTRY:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DETAILSTONE:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:TRAPPING:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:TANNER:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BREWING:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:COOK:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:HERBALISM:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WOODCRAFT:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STONECRAFT:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:LEATHERWORK:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BONECARVE:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:ARMOR:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BOWYER:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BOW:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SNEAK:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:TRACKING:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:KNAPPING:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:KNOWLEDGE_ACQUISITION:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:CONCENTRATION:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:COORDINATION:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:RANGED_COMBAT:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BEEKEEPING:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:PLANT:5]

Edit: Just remembered maxage. Deleted it, no death by old age for hermits. That would be anticlimactic.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:33:53 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 09:35:34 pm »

If you put the healing potion in a bucket or well, will it be brought to him in the hospital? Also, this looks really cool. Any ETA?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 09:38:16 pm »

If you put the healing potion in a bucket or well, will it be brought to him in the hospital? Also, this looks really cool. Any ETA?
No, only water will work, and who brings it to him? The imaginary friend? If he exists, he can just patch him up the old fashioned way.

ETA Is right about now, it works. Like I said, everything I discussed except the "suggestions and ideas" is done. Its playable. Just have to write the manual, wait for splinterz to add it to the gui, and do some of the advanced features. I am mostly waiting on feedback and ideas of the community. :)

I want to know what people think first, what they like to see... then add this, and release it. Certainly before the 13th, because thats when I leave for two weeks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 09:48:02 pm »

Wait, my dark wizard as noeat etc.? Hmm. Shouldn't. I think that the possibility of absent-mindedly dying from not drinking would be very wizardly, heh.

Also: I think death by old age would actually be a good idea. A sort of victory condition, if you will.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

Yeah, the wizard was rather overpowered that way. Not really overpowered, but... he didnt rely on much, which made it hard to care for his fate. Its like Superman, people cant identify with him, because he has no flaws. ^^

I thought about that old age as "you win hermit mode" as well, but there is no coming back. And the starting age is random, so some people "win" by surviving 10 years, others play 25 and are still alive. I imagine people dislike investing time into building up a nice life and surviving, just to die an unavoidable instant death. You wouldnt even see the "died of old age" message, it would just be "your settlement has crumbled", without any warning.

Nuhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 01:19:26 am »

I fully support the decision to have no breeding pairs, and I would like to suggest Hawks in addition to Dogs and Cats if they aren't too strong.

Perhaps some sort of optional victory condition content aside from age would be ideal, such as running an expensive reaction which brings your past back in full in colosseum-fashion, and if you win, you get an item that can turn your unit into 'The Prophet' at the temple, in addition to receiving one reusable item that lets you recruit civ members by spreading your hermit wisdom religiously. This way, you can settle the 'victory condition' and 'extra civ members' requests. Also, hilarity will ensue if the item gets stolen or lost, as you can't make anymore.

Questions:
Is it possible to disable caravans? Disabling them would make things more difficult.
Is it possible to generate a new god?
Before this mod, I never pitied the bad guys in any of the fantasy novels I'd read. The undead lich king always seemed like such an uber-menace, but now I know his secret pain of having morons for minions, a vampire doctor just waiting for him to go to sleep, and a constant feeling of anger and depression because he's one armor stand short in his bedroom suite.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 02:26:44 am »

Edit: Just remembered maxage. Deleted it, no death by old age for hermits. That would be anticlimactic.

Could immortality be applied retroactively? It seems like something that could be earned through meditation, communion with nature, or vile means.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 06:55:47 am »

Could immortality be applied retroactively? It seems like something that could be earned through meditation, communion with nature, or vile means.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. A goal to work towards to. :) With different ways to achieve it. How about "X druidic totems" through nature, a youth potion through alchemy, or a necromancy version through doing a lot of evil stuff with bone, ash, corpses, meat, etc.

Is it possible to disable caravans? Disabling them would make things more difficult.
Is it possible to generate a new god?
They get no caravans, because their allies have none. (frost giants, warlocks, automatons...) Generate a new god, no. You are stuck with whoever he worhsips when you embark.

Perhaps some sort of optional victory condition content aside from age would be ideal, such as running an expensive reaction which brings your past back in full in colosseum-fashion, and if you win, you get an item that can turn your unit into 'The Prophet' at the temple, in addition to receiving one reusable item that lets you recruit civ members by spreading your hermit wisdom religiously. This way, you can settle the 'victory condition' and 'extra civ members' requests. Also, hilarity will ensue if the item gets stolen or lost, as you can't make anymore.
I wouldnt know how to do that. The hermit civ dies out, and all migrants that appear in the first 2 waves insta-die. Only way I could think of is spawning a rare caste that doest insta-die. But then you have your Prophet standing in a locked house, spawning tons of new hermits. No. No... hermit mode is about one hermit. No sudden civ explosion.

I actually had hawks in it first, but thought cats as vermin hunters would be enough. Hawks suck as hunting pets against non-birds, they suicide too often at larger animals.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 07:35:39 am »

Heh quick work Meph.  I like very much, it feels much like how I end up playing the Gnomes right now, where I have 120 pop and only 2 guys that actually matter (druids) since i run animals rather than mechanisms.  I reckon I could rock the Hermit, you just know he'd be dozing in the shade of Giant Tigers by lunchtime second day.  I would love to keep the imaginary friend out, but I think it's almost gotta happen for the survival issues mentioned.  There are so so many ways for this to end anticlimactically.

Anyway you could make the imaginary friend into an animal companion?  not an animal in code terms, im thinking a 'beast' caste to do it right and get a usable intelligent companion that you can RP as a ranger companion style thing.  Otherwise an animal obviously wont do much more than fish. (find animal in wild, slow bonding process, some lores use mental links, image sharing and distance calling etc.).  So one of the hallucinations is the druid, another is the companion, rest become regrets.

His own bodily regen should pretty much be as good as you can get it without him doing a holywood werewolf and healing in combat, he either dies outright in the fight or will recover, death of wounds later shouldnt really be possible since they cant do anything about it.

Dont let them embark with farm animals, or keep your single genders.  a milkable cow, but no bulls?  Full freedom is too easy, I could play that fort in my sleep.

I'm assuming the gnome druidics move across pretty much intact as Indigo did them?  So at least if you do go down the farm/croft style route with smaller livestock it's going to beat the snot out of their affinity, that could balance it, you'd have to run him a couple of first years with and without the animals to see whether it makes food too easy without crippling the druidism, breeding for meat should lock you right out more or less and I like the leather/bone shortages imposed by strict Druidism. (especially bone since you cant trade for it)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:45:32 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 07:59:47 am »

Both human pantheon and gnomish druidism is copied one for one. So yeah, either druid merit, or go hunting to survive. ;)

Imaginery friend should be optional, something you can do in a workshop if you want, but its not forced on you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 10:23:58 am »

Hermit will get his own part in the manual. :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 10:42:08 am »

I am digging this idea. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 12:01:19 pm »

I added webimmune, trances (for martial trances), and trapavoid to the hermit. I hope that gives him a little edge in combat, and he wont get stun-locked by some webbing titan, or caged by a goblin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23