Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 73829 times)

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode - Poll on future features
« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2014, 07:21:45 pm »

Well, in terms of features, Hermit seems pretty much done to me. At this point, I feel like all he really needs is some bugfixes and MAYBE a balance tweak or two.
I'm open to suggestions ;)
Hmm. Well, in my humble opinion, the hermit should be able to do just about anything. Whereas the other races have have different styles of play appropriate to the species, the hermit should be wide open to do pretty much whatever the player feels like. If the player wants to have a Hermit who is all about weaponsmithing, or raising sheep, or building a vast array of mechanical contraptions, I feel like that should be the player's prerogative.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2014, 07:43:11 pm »

Also a means to make Bob undead-safe. Last time I tried being a necromancer the zombies tried to kill him.

Asan W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 12, 2014, 06:00:52 pm »

Isn't that's intentional? You have Bob or undead.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 13, 2014, 03:33:48 am »

Isn't that's intentional? You have Bob or undead.

Well...Zombies are mindless walkers, while Bob can help you in your everyday tasks - if choosing between them was truly intentional, necromancy would be pointless, because without Bob hundred percent of the hermit life is dedicated to hauling, which makes the gameplay a little...boring.

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 17, 2014, 01:39:27 pm »

Hi again. and again thanks for this great mod.

What I want from this section is to post a problem:
My hermit can't embark with chickens.

While this is not something trully painful, it leaves my hermit to start for other kinds of food. And having some egg laying pet at the start could help, since it seems that I really cannot understand the druidic path (so, if someone is willing to tell me its arcane secrets, I could be grateful for life).
Here what I think is the problem, a screenshot from my dfhack console
I think that the problem here is that hermit tries to find "chicken" animals, while usually the pet is labelled ad "bird_chicken", making it elusive to the hermit pet finder.
But it seems that my absolutely crappy skills at trying to figure how to mod this game cannot cover this fix: I dunno where chickens, or in general pets, are told which civ they belong to.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #260 on: December 17, 2014, 06:08:27 pm »

My mistake, that damn bird is called BIRD_CHICKEN not CHICKEN in the raws. Easy fix.

If you want to fix it yourself, go to MasterworkDF V6.1\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts, find the file AddPetToCiv.lua, open with text editor, replace last line with insertPet("HERMIT","BIRD_CHICKEN","FEMALE")
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 17, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »

Thanks man, those scripts are exactly what I couln't see from myself without help.
I was just searching in RAW folder... obliviously without making it!
Thanks man, I just fixed it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2014, 07:30:13 pm »

If you need info on druidism (hope thats a word), check the gnome manual. IndigoFenix wrote the druid scripts and I used some of it for the Hermit.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »

If you need info on druidism (hope thats a word), check the gnome manual. IndigoFenix wrote the druid scripts and I used some of it for the Hermit.
I tried looking into the manual, but aside from those related workshop, the manual itself offer little help (for the druidism and even for human god system).
Tomorrow I can give it a better look, anyway.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2015, 06:13:41 pm »

Druidism is not working well. The wild animals are peaceful to the hermit, but they attack the tame animals, forcing me to kill them and lose merit.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2015, 10:16:32 pm »

Then separate them into different rooms? I'd call it a feature. It works exactly like it does for gnomes.

Gin-German

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2015, 06:45:51 pm »

I don't know if this is common, but my Hermits always go insane after 3 months flat. They cannot undo their tantrum as the journals for the Hermit's Journal are not there (not to forget the quills for which I gotta slaughter a bird or hunt one) and nothing else can do it. Before I got myself clothes from plants, even going so far to make myself a hut the Hermit always goes insane as the moods do not vanish. Quite the opposite, no good mood seems to arrive aside "Has been content with work lately" and all bad moods stack and stay indefinitely. Is this normal for you guys or is that something only I experience?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »

It helps to focus a lot of time on creature-comforts, use high-value furniture to live in a personal palace, get good at cooking and find out what your favorite foods are and make meals using only those, brew sunshine if you don't have a drink preference. Also, remember that clothes can also be made of leather, so if the cloth-plants are taking too long to grow then you can just go hunting to get sewing materials immediately. The most important thing to remember is that you don't have to plan for more than 2 people using the anything, so the bulk orders and long/wide hallways that must be present in every other fort race aren't at all necessary and can even spell certain doom for your hermit if you don't prioritize time/energy spent between tasks.

Also: Bury the regrets. I'm not sure how obvious this is but the hermits all have near-identical personalities and so rapidly make friends with eachother in the brief time before they fade in the wake of the real guy's lucidity, and knowing just one of their "dead friends" have gone unmemorialized is extremely stressful- imagine what it'd be like to realize that same thought times 6 all at once.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2015, 12:34:09 am »

You can embark with leather and make clothing directly from it. Or embark with armor.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2015, 07:22:02 am »

I'm having alot of trouble in Hermit mode with my hermit STAYING in his armor at all. He seems to drop it consistently as soon as combat ends, and thats a real pain when he is halfways across the map.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23