Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 73879 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode - Poll on future features
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2015, 10:19:17 am »

He probably has hunting, mining or woddcutting enabled. These have a hidden civilian uniform, replacing the military one. It's a vanilla bug...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gin-German

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2015, 04:20:00 am »

It helps to focus a lot of time on creature-comforts, use high-value furniture to live in a personal palace, get good at cooking and find out what your favorite foods are and make meals using only those, brew sunshine if you don't have a drink preference. Also, remember that clothes can also be made of leather, so if the cloth-plants are taking too long to grow then you can just go hunting to get sewing materials immediately. The most important thing to remember is that you don't have to plan for more than 2 people using the anything, so the bulk orders and long/wide hallways that must be present in every other fort race aren't at all necessary and can even spell certain doom for your hermit if you don't prioritize time/energy spent between tasks.

Also: Bury the regrets. I'm not sure how obvious this is but the hermits all have near-identical personalities and so rapidly make friends with eachother in the brief time before they fade in the wake of the real guy's lucidity, and knowing just one of their "dead friends" have gone unmemorialized is extremely stressful- imagine what it'd be like to realize that same thought times 6 all at once.

EDIT: Alright I made some tests to see what the matter was and sped up my hermit with superdwarf to see what I could do to make things better (using the speedup to get quickly to some answers). Apparently he only needs clothes despite having over ten different bad thoughts (including the lack of a well and of course his dead buddies) but as soon as I gave him a gown made of silk all his bad thoughts magically disappeared, even the one about standing in rain despite it still raining cats and dogs (figuratively). He also had only one good thought left, the one about being satisfied with work lately yet that is about it. After that I had him run around and do his work normally and no single other bad thought came up again. Seems like you need one "new" good thought to trigger the elimination of the other three, or at least add something to update the Hermit's good thoughts to make him lose the bad ones.

Original Post:

Yeah, but the catch is always that I never got to make any of this no matter how little I did. I really just chopped enough wood to give myself some mats for workshops to build shovels and other stuff, but for some reason setting him to mine makes my hermits wait to take shovels just before they break. I made shovel after shovel and he waits until he can only dig for a few seconds with it for whatever reason. That way I cannot bury anything as things proceed so slow that I had no way to avoid insanity. The first boulder I had was shortly before I went insane, so your strategy is not going to be done in time.

And as I said, there is NO NEW GOOD THOUGHT coming for him. He has lots of dogs as pets? Not registered. He stood in rain? Remembered until death takes him. He complained twice about a well, but building one did not remove the bad thoughts. Building the tiniest shack for just a bed and door? Sorry, went insane when doing the roof. The minimum to do is not achievable before he snaps for some reason, leaving me to abandon the Hermit as a whole as it happened several times now
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:08:16 pm by Gin-German »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #272 on: March 09, 2015, 12:24:56 am »

The hermit automatically runs "removebadthoughts" once in the beginning after a couple of ingame weeks. That's what you are seeing.

You start, he is naked, outside, 6 other people die.... and then you get this little boost once, cleaning the slate. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Iazo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 17, 2015, 02:45:09 pm »

So, how do I play a hermit? I'm not sure how to start playing them, I only get normal civs.

I'm using the latest Masterwork Reborn.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #274 on: March 18, 2015, 12:23:00 am »

Did you check the GUI, race tab, and tick the hermit as active? AFter that you have to start a new world and select your civ at the embark selector, the map before you press 'e'.

You can tab through menues there, and go up and down in the civ tab. Your currently selected civ will always be on the top of the neighbours tab, thats how you can check which one is yours.

It's a bit tricky to figure out the first time.

Iazo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2015, 12:48:01 am »

Yeah, I enabled them from the menu, made a new world, and then tried to choose multiple civs.

However, I can't tell which one is the Hermit civ (or, really, if a hermit civ was created at all), which one is the succubus, which one is the dwarf, and so on. To test it further, I disabled Forts to everyone but Succubuses and Hermit made a new world, but...I could only choose Succubus civs to play (going by the civ name).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:52:48 am by Iazo »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2015, 12:53:20 am »

Your currently selected civ will always be on the top of the neighbours tab.  Like, it will say "Hermit" at the top.

>> To test it further, I disabled Forts to everyone but Succubuses and Hermit made a new world, but...I could only choose Succubus civs to play (going by the civ name).

There is some chance that a Hermit civ was not created or did not survive.

Iazo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 18, 2015, 01:00:05 am »

I tried it again. I disabled all forts except Hermit.

The game could not generate a world that has a controllable civ, said so on the world creation screen after 30 or so rejected worlds.

Again, Using masterwork reborn 0004.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2015, 01:07:36 am »

Hermit's not in reborn yet

try 6.2
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 23, 2015, 02:40:09 pm »

Playing around with Hermit mode, curious if I'm missing something?

As far as I can tell you can only make leather armor, which the hermit will promptly shed upon being assigned mining or woodcutting. I see people mentioning leather clothes, am I missing something? (Have built the leather and cloth workstations, yes.)

Also, you're able to take ewes with you, but shearing them produces fleece, but I haven't found a way to comb the fleece? So I can't produce any cloth. I don't know if it's standard or the civ itself but I can't choose raw cloth at embark either, only leather, fur, or chitin, which I just realised I could make fur clothing so at least I see a way to make clothing but ...

I'm still curious about my other two issues (leather clothing / not able to comb fleece) and if I'm just missing something!
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

eliandarkbrood01

• Bay Watcher
  • @>-->--
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode
« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2015, 08:53:06 am »

Hey... I noticed while messing around in hermit mode on the old MW... I am having issues burying the 4 migrant "past regrets". Done everything I can think of to try and get them buried... Don't want them coming back as ghosts.

Edit:  Sidenote... Looks like I am going to have a bit of !FUN! with this one... Not even all the way through the first year, having issues with Rhesus Macaques, dug down under my small house about 5 layers to have a safer storage area, and dug straight into a cavern also revealing the magma sea... I haven't even made the first piece of armor and only weapon being a bow at this point... *sigh* I'm almost regretting starting with extremely limited resources... almost...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:35:06 am by eliandarkbrood01 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2015, 11:53:08 pm »

You can engrave slabs about your past regrets.

eliandarkbrood01

• Bay Watcher
  • @>-->--
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 02, 2015, 11:13:48 pm »

Btw... Meph, any ETA on hermit mode in MW Reborn? and any new stuff going to be added to him?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #284 on: May 08, 2015, 03:28:07 am »

Btw... Meph, any ETA on hermit mode in MW Reborn? and any new stuff going to be added to him?
No ETA, been super busy here in Japan, but I might find some time in Taiwan or Hongkong... not sure. New stuff for sure, but I really cant say when I start modding again. But I got some ideas floating around.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23