Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 73528 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode - NEW! FEEDBACK NEEDED! :P
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 12:18:16 pm »

Added breakable shovels. Craftsman can make a shovel from 1 log. It breaks just like in kobold mode, but gives you enough options to dig some protection, moats, space in the soil layers for farms and to bury your hallucinations/regrets (6 embark dudes and 2 migrant waves), and allows you to reach ore. Once you got ore, make a smelter, bars, anvil, forge, forge a metal pick. :)

What are your ideas for the tech and magic thing?

I thought about this:
Magic 1 => Necromancy, unlife, zombies
Magic 2 => Conjuration, evil, demons
Magic 3 => Classic Elemental, animation (animated weapons)

About 4-5 reactions each.

Tech 1 => AoE trap components. Boobytraps. Unit steps on weapon trap loaded with it, it releases a cloud, affecting everyone nearby.
Tech 2 => Cage-shooting weapon. See gnomish cage-o-matic. Might be very useful for a lone hermit.
Tech 3 => Excavation Site/Seismograph combo. Again gnomish tech, it reveals smaller spots of unmined rock beneath it. That way you can find specific rock easier. A long hermit would otherwise do lots and lots and lots of explorational digging...

Not sure if I find the time to write this before the first release though.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Blightedmarsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 12:22:11 pm »

How would this interact with adventurer mode?

would adventurers be able to interact with hermits in the world?
would adventurers be able to become hermits?
do hermits have long histories and lots of kills?
would hermits be able to adopt lost children, raise them, train them, equip them and send them off to become adventurers when they grow up?
could an imaginary friend go on to other things...like becoming the king of the mountain homes?

I kind of think hermits should be a mode/embark for other races or they should be able to have different races be hermits. A dwarven or kobalt or whatever else hermit.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »

How would this interact with adventurer mode?

would adventurers be able to interact with hermits in the world?
would adventurers be able to become hermits?
do hermits have long histories and lots of kills?
would hermits be able to adopt lost children, raise them, train them, equip them and send them off to become adventurers when they grow up?
could an imaginary friend go on to other things...like becoming the king of the mountain homes?

I kind of think hermits should be a mode/embark for other races or they should be able to have different races be hermits. A dwarven or kobalt or whatever else hermit.
I neither know nor care. Hermits are only playble in fort mode, and I if you will gen a world with hermits, but play as a non-hermit adventuerer, this will happen: You find one of their towns/fortresses, which look like human/dwarven sites, and all of them but one will isntakill each other by turning into hallucinations.

In short: If you want to play Adv Mode, disable them.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 01:00:48 pm »

Added loo, which cleans containers. Added brazier, fireplace and candelabra for Rendermax/Light. Added decorations, the carpet, socket and grass for interior decoration and gardens. And added display stand to display items, although I dont think the hermit will ever make an artefact.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 02:01:51 pm »

I love the idea of the imaginary friend, but only as a middish-game thing. I'm thinking that he should have a ghostlike sprite, sort of thing.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 02:16:50 pm »

Manual done.

Imaginary friend could be a spawned after 2 years. Makes sense to tie it to the time that the hermit lived alone in the wilderness. I havent looked at it yet, but it should be possible without much problem. More difficult will it be to make him look like some imaginery ghost-friend, and to have him disappear when the hermit dies.

I think the magic thing could be handled in a similar fashion. The hermit automatically produces a build-item after 1 year. And you use it to learn one type of magic, but only one. After 5 years he unlocks all 5 reactions. So you EITHER have a necromancer OR a elemental mage OR a conjurer.

Axmeister

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »

I know you've already developed a lot on the premise that hermit mode is only an individual being, but could you make it so that we can have a set amount of people at the start but have no migrations (etc.)?

It's just that I like the idea of playing a game where new babies were valued like they were in settlements in real life, as future sources of labour, rather than how current dwarf fortress treats them as human meat shields.

Additionally playing as one family might allow players to get more indepth with the characters and game progression instead of each individuals wants and needs being lost amongst tons of characters.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 02:30:42 pm »

I know you've already developed a lot on the premise that hermit mode is only an individual being, but could you make it so that we can have a set amount of people at the start but have no migrations (etc.)?

It's just that I like the idea of playing a game where new babies were valued like they were in settlements in real life, as future sources of labour, rather than how current dwarf fortress treats them as human meat shields.

Additionally playing as one family might allow players to get more indepth with the characters and game progression instead of each individuals wants and needs being lost amongst tons of characters.
No. But you can easily do that to any race you want. Just make sure that they die out in worldgen. You get 7 at embark and get 2 migrant waves. Thats hardcoded. And if you remove all active seasons, they also do not send caravans. You can literally do that to any race in masterwork, with the GUI alone, genning a few worlds till you have one in which your civ is dead.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 02:41:11 pm »

I think the easiest way to make the imaginary friend die when the hermit does is to have the hermit sustain the imaginary friend through interactions, kind of like how the necromancers keep zombies under control, but without the pylons.  That way, not only does the imaginary friend depend on the hermit's life for survival, it must remain in more-or-less the same area as well.

Also, I think maybe the hermit shouldn't be alcohol dependent.  Fun fact: did you know that non-alcoholic creatures can become alcohol dependent if they go through a particularly traumatic experience?  It's not common and usually those individuals get lost in the crowd, but if there's only one citizen the chances of this happening at some point will grow greater as time progresses.  Then you can remember the particular time that this happened every time you are forced to make alcohol, adding to the hermit experience.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 03:07:26 pm »

He is supposed to be a dwarf, because hermit challenges are usually done in vanilla. I think alcohol dependant fits, it makes it harder. But I can sneak in a few settings. :)

I wanted to imaginary friend revive the hermit once, sacrificing himself. Like I mentioned earlier, a one-time-only second chance for survival.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 04:03:17 pm »

When do I get my hands on this? :)

The only problem I see with the hermit is when he gets a toe broken in combat and then the vanilla combat mechanics disable him due to pain and he just lays there and starves to death.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 04:19:12 pm »

He has NOPAIN and a custom bone tissue template that makes his bone heal without a splint or cast.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 04:23:27 pm »

There's already a [POPULATION_CAP] in the init file of base dwarf fortress that you can change to stop migrants. It only works if your population is above that number when you talk to the outpost liaison and if it's below it then you'll just get migrants for the rest of the year. Though there is a new [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP] that will directly stop new migrants from coming if it would raise your population above it, it also stops babies from being born. I think you could probably set the population cap to 4 (which is the effective minimum) and for the first two migrant waves either kill them, or accept them as a minor compromise of your idea (you'd probably only have a population of around 20 if you accept all of them). Or if you're okay with playing the new version rather than Masterwork, you could try setting the strict population cap to 7 and the normal population cap to 4 until the liaison arrives then once it is recognized you don't want any new migrants, you could raise the strict population cap. I don't actually know what would happen, but it's worth trying.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »

Ups, completely forgot about the pop_cap. Yeah, that works too. You can even alter that in a running fort, no problem.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 04:49:26 pm »

Will the hermit get access to magic systems? In my head, I see one of the reasons for setting up a hermitage being that of a (non-warlock) mage tower or some sort of solitary forest druid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23