Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 73876 times)

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode
« Reply #315 on: June 20, 2016, 10:38:56 am »

Here's a question for y'all: can hermits get visitors?

I tried setting up a tavern in a well populated, civ-adjacent area, but no dice.

The actual mechanics behind visitors still seems a bit unclear, but several factors might be in play relating to "information" spreading through the world.

If your civ is dead, and you get no caravans, will word never spread about your locations that can be visited (tavern, library, etc)?

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2016, 06:30:01 pm »

in the whats happening in your fort thread(page 101), my fort is hermit, with like 9 different races =)

how it happened for me, the 3 or so times i did it:

set up tavern, make sure it has tables and chairs, place to 'dance and play music' complete with prepared food and drink stockpile small like 4 and 5 in a 3x3 square fed by the main pile. more awesome dining hall the better (engraved / gold studded gold furniture, or in my forts lately. dyed padded cloth everything)

get 1 to 3 visitors, they hang around for a season, or two

1 to 3 visitors leave the tavern, word of mouth spreads from these and i get 5 to 9 visitors, which 1 to 3 leave every season till i get up to 40 visitors at once

then all the mercs want to soldier petition for work, all the entertainers that ask to stay i let stay, and after 1 to 2 years they ask for citizenship, it can take longer however in the case of my nixie hes been there since year one. and hasnt asked for citizen ship in 10 years. unlike the last game where my nymph asked for citizenship in 4.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:38:49 pm by Fairin »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #317 on: June 24, 2016, 01:52:01 pm »

Oh shite.

The entire hermit mode is broken due to the update to create-unit, because its syntax changed. :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 01, 2016, 03:57:31 am »

People coming to visit and seek advice. You could manipulate kingdoms using this...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ProofofconcepT

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2016, 06:02:58 pm »

So, I tried using the dragon kit in the workshop when first starting out and as soon as I did so, the dragon maimed my hermit and walked back to the caravan. It says in the animal screen that the dragon is 'not tame'

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2016, 06:06:39 pm »

So, I tried using the dragon kit in the workshop when first starting out and as soon as I did so, the dragon maimed my hermit and walked back to the caravan. It says in the animal screen that the dragon is 'not tame'
I heard about this before but have absolutely no explanation for it. The syntax I use to spawn the dragon is the same as for the hermit itself.

It must be something about buildingdestroyer megabeasts etc that makes them automatically not-friendly.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2016, 06:46:49 pm »

do not mettle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 03, 2016, 01:08:53 pm »

Are you supposed to spawn with a bunch of dwarves in hermit mode? Because I keep accidentally selecting hermit civs instead of dwarf civs (Is there a better way to tell? I'm new to this) and end up with 6 clueless dwarves and Mr. Special the Hermit.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 03, 2016, 01:20:20 pm »

Are you supposed to spawn with a bunch of dwarves in hermit mode? Because I keep accidentally selecting hermit civs instead of dwarf civs (Is there a better way to tell? I'm new to this) and end up with 6 clueless dwarves and Mr. Special the Hermit.
Yeah, your extra dwarves get murdered off when you use the hermit workshop.  There's no way to embark with fewer than seven civ members, even through DFHack wizardry, so killing extras is the only way.  You could get some work out of your extra guys before sending them off, but it's a trade-off because the mode is a little buggy and in my experience making the dwarves dig their own graves increases the likelihood of the game misbehaving when you run the hermit workshop reactions.

do not mettle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Pretty much.  I tried the dragon kit one time only and decided it must be a little joke.   :P

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:24:01 pm by daisha »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 03, 2016, 05:13:02 pm »

Ah, OK.
So, when do we get a better way to tell what civ is what kind of being? A simple label of "Dwarf, Hermit, Orc, Human, etc." on the embark civilizations tab would be great.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 03, 2016, 07:40:55 pm »

It's always the civ at the top of your neighbors tab. (ed: unless there's something strange specific to hermits like they are always extinct or skulking)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:42:50 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »

Ah, OK.
So, when do we get a better way to tell what civ is what kind of being? A simple label of "Dwarf, Hermit, Orc, Human, etc." on the embark civilizations tab would be great.
You have that. You can tab through the modes, one has "civilizations" where you can pick one from a list. Once you do that, tab through to the "neighbours" list. The civ at the top is your civ.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 03, 2016, 07:52:01 pm »

Ah. Didn't know that. Thanks.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2016, 10:49:11 pm »

Is there any progress into why some of the hermit choices, [mainly the Ettin], seem to not want to follow orders in game?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 24, 2016, 03:22:57 pm »

Is there any progress into why some of the hermit choices, [mainly the Ettin], seem to not want to follow orders in game?

I'd GUESS that its because they're building destroyers and thus want to smash things instead of doing labours. Ettin certainly seems like they'd have that tag, at least. What hermit types have you been having problems with?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23