Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

More features... poll will be open till end of August.

Kobold Arena-like summonings of hostile creature to defeat for rewards.
Alchemy makes potions that give permanent boosts to the hermit.
A vampirism transformation that forces you to kill regularily, or die.
A werebeast transformation that is triggered in combat, like Kobold Druids.
AoE explosive/poisonous trap-components and catapult ammo.
Spawn/Summon pets like squirrels, niths, mountain gnomes, pixies.
A custom "cooked-meal" system, which has you prepare real meals. No more "eat one seed, not hungry anymore"
Massive AoE spell like fire-rain or evil-clouds as a way to ged rid of too large sieges.
Metal transmutation, alchemy based.
Hardcore mode, without all the boni like nopain, custom bone template, free skills, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]

Author Topic: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode  (Read 73898 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: ☼The Hermit☼ - Everything Hermit Mode
« Reply #330 on: July 24, 2016, 03:27:40 pm »

Is there any progress into why some of the hermit choices, [mainly the Ettin], seem to not want to follow orders in game?

I'd GUESS that its because they're building destroyers and thus want to smash things instead of doing labours. Ettin certainly seems like they'd have that tag, at least. What hermit types have you been having problems with?
That sounds better than my explanation.

Left Head: Hey, I think we should put a forge here.
Right Head: That's a stupid idea.  I want a still.
Ettin's left hand punches Ettin's right head.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 24, 2016, 04:54:47 pm »

Well, I've REALLY wanted to try the Ettin, but he's been unable to do much of anything. When I told it to Haul wood, it picked up a lag...then proceeded to lounge around the Wagon.

I also tried the Cyclops. The Cyclops is..better. It can Mine, Chop trees, construct traps and buildings, but Hauling seems to confuse it a bit. I tried all I can, but she will not haul my Rock Salt Boulders to the Stone Stockpile. It's weird, but I guess manageable.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #332 on: July 24, 2016, 05:31:15 pm »

Creatures either are civ-members and do labors, or they dont. The amount of jobs they can do depends on the ENTITY file, so no matter what tags ettins, cyclops, etc have, they can all do identical labors. There is no "creature X can do Y but cant do Z". That is nothing the creature file can affect.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2016, 05:35:05 pm »

Creatures either are civ-members and do labors, or they dont. The amount of jobs they can do depends on the ENTITY file, so no matter what tags ettins, cyclops, etc have, they can all do identical labors. There is no "creature X can do Y but cant do Z". That is nothing the creature file can affect.

So is there any other more reasonable explanation? Cause I do little different in the general setup between Hermits, and The Megabeast Hermits seem to have had tons of problems for me. Has nobody else run into these sort of problems trying to play Giants, Cyclops, Ettins, and such?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2016, 10:43:37 pm »

Is there any progress into why some of the hermit choices, [mainly the Ettin], seem to not want to follow orders in game?

I'd GUESS that its because they're building destroyers and thus want to smash things instead of doing labours. Ettin certainly seems like they'd have that tag, at least. What hermit types have you been having problems with?
That sounds better than my explanation.

Left Head: Hey, I think we should put a forge here.
Right Head: That's a stupid idea.  I want a still.
Ettin's left hand punches Ettin's right head.

Nah. I like yours better. :P
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 25, 2016, 12:24:12 pm »

Some misc bugs:

- The Stonecrafter workshop can use rough wood planks instead of stone blocks
- The game crashes if your hermit is ever removed from their position of hermit

EDIT:

General thoughts and suggestions:

- There's no way of getting Appraisal skill since no caravans come. I had to DFhack legendary Appraisal onto my hermit just to see how valuable things are. Not that important for balance, but seeing the "You need a broker with Appraisal skill" every time I press "z" irks me irrationally
- Long-term residents can use the Personal Shrine, since it requires no labours at all[Even levers and such have labours now]. With two long-term performers, I scraped together enough iron bars for an anvil in a year and got 7-8 copper bars as a bonus. Probably unintended, but I don't think its terribly unbalanced. Even with someone praying around the clock, its much less efficient then just mining things.
- Some sort of elixir of youth is probably needed for shorter-lived hermits[Especially kobolds]. I've gone through three years in Hermit in the same about of real time I'd usually take for one in any other mode. It'd be quite easy to hit the end of, say, a kobold's maximum lifespan before
- I quite like how visitors interact with Hermit mode. You CAN grow your fort if you want to, but its slow and your hermit has to provide for a bunch of [Mostly, see above]useless long-term residents for a year or two before reaping any real rewards.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:06:36 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2016, 03:35:46 pm »

I seem to be having an issue in that whenever I run the reaction to spawn the hermit, everyone in the fortress dies, as expected, but no-one spawns, and the game ends immediately.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]